Shocking Content?

General and high profile video game topics.
GTS

Re: Shocking Content?

Postby GTS » December 31st, 2018, 10:14 pm

It was probably bots that detected it. I would say challenge it, but it is pretty bloody so I don't think you'll win. IGN and Gamespot likely don't use Google ads.

Also, I wish so many of you would stop proclaiming this site as family friendly. That really just means no cuss words; nothing else. It's not something deserving of the peace prize. It's silly for society to have forbidden words.

Gentlegamer

Postby Gentlegamer » December 31st, 2018, 11:34 pm

VideoGameCritic wrote:Can someone please explain to me what is so shocking about this page?

You gave Bloodborne a D.

C64_Critic

Postby C64_Critic » January 1st, 2019, 4:07 pm

My guess would be that one of the stills you used for one of those reviews triggered it. I just think it's crazy that they can't tell you SPECIFICALLY what the problem is; like "That picture that accompanies the review for Lollipop Chainsaw is too gory and graphic". Simply sending generic policy verbiage like they did doesn't really help if you don't already see what the problem is.

Good thing for you (and us) that this site in no way hinges on what Big Brother will approve or disallow!! They don't like it, they'll pull the ads, and the site will keep on humming along just fine.

Retro STrife

Postby Retro STrife » January 1st, 2019, 7:59 pm

So what is the recourse on your end? Can you just remove ads from the Halloween page and be all set (i.e., keep them everywhere else on the site)? Or does Google expect you to get the entire site in compliance with their terms (which sounds impossible on a site that includes reviews of M-rated games)?

If nothing else, at least we've now learned that Bloodborne is by far your most controversial review score.

VideoGameCritic
Site Admin

Postby VideoGameCritic » January 1st, 2019, 11:12 pm

I removed the ads from that page. Not a big deal, but how does this affect the ranking of my site in their search engine? Nobody knows except Google.

The Bloodborne controversy is about to be addressed! Stayed tuned.

scotland

Postby scotland » January 2nd, 2019, 8:15 pm

I Google'd 'review of turbografx games' and the top three results were this site....but given Google also knows I'm here alot, so that might not mean much.

As 'family friendly' - I think this site mostly is. Yes, you review horror video games or strip backgammon, but otherwise you'd be the E for Everyone Video Game Critic. Maybe you can pixelate images from M rated games until asked to load or something if that makes you feel more 'family friendly'

ThePixelatedGenocide

Postby ThePixelatedGenocide » January 4th, 2019, 1:34 am

I searched for Turbografx reviews through DuckDuckGo's browser, which doesn't track your searches, and this site was still the top result.

My guess is that they just don't want M rated content being seen by families unless they're actively seeking it out. It's similar to the way Google's image search avoids adult content unless you're specific that's what you want. At least, I'm told that's the idea behind it all, though anyone can make a game out of finding out what got past their safe search filters.

Really, it's all a bit silly. Fake blood is apparently G rated until you apply it to the skin, or depict it in a virtual environment. But then, nipples are apparently safe or dangerous depending on who they belong to, so who expects any of this to make sense?

VideoGameCritic
Site Admin

Postby VideoGameCritic » January 4th, 2019, 7:41 pm

Another thing I wonder about is that the review for Resident Evil Darkside Chronicles includes pictures of two controllers which look like a gun and knife. With so much media attention on weapons, could this be what Google has a problem with?

I did notice that when looking for a screenshot for Dead Rising 4 it was REALLY hard to find a screenshot that was even vaguely representative of the actual game. Maybe other sites are being forced to remove their "gory" screenshots too.

Return to “Video Games General”