Cool Game Names

General and high profile video game topics.
lynchie137

Cool Game Names

Postby lynchie137 » January 2nd, 2019, 3:42 pm

Awhile back, the VGC posted a thread on these boards about games that have really bad names. And no doubt there were more than a few stinkers on there for sure. But this also got me thinking about the other side of the coin. What are some games out there that have really cool names? One that comes to mind for me immediately is "Earth Dies Screaming" for the Atari 2600. Now, I've never personally played that one, so I've no idea on what it's about or how good or bad it actually is. but that title is so ridiculously cool and eye catching that it kind of compels me to find a copy (or play it online) to see for myself what kind of a game it is...

So.. What are some games out there that you guys and gals think have awesome titles? Please feel free to share them on here, as I think it's be interesting to see what everybody comes up with....

GameOfThrones

Re: Cool Game Names

Postby GameOfThrones » January 2nd, 2019, 5:50 pm

Doom

Retro STrife

Postby Retro STrife » January 2nd, 2019, 6:04 pm

One of my favorites was always "Revenge of the Beefsteak Tomatoes" for the Atari 2600 (even if it is a ripoff of the movie name "Attack of the Killer Tomatoes"). Some people hate that title, but I give it credit because it makes you want to play the game. You see that name on the box and it catches your attention, making you want to know what the game is all about - and really that's probably the best quality of a good title. A few others like that:

-Communist Mutants from Space (Atari 2600)
-Zombies Ate My Neighbors (Gen/SNES)
-Attack of the Mutant Penguins (Jaguar)
-Big Nose Freaks Out (NES)
-Toejam and Earl (Genesis) [who doesn't want to play as a character named Toejam?]
-Dinosaurs for Hire (Genesis) [this game is actually based on a comic book series of the same name, but either way it sounds cool, and I bought this game for my collection based on the name alone]

And then you have game names that just flow so smoothly or sound cool. Think of the subtitles for all of the Castlevania games from Symphony of the Night and after..most sound pretty cool. Another game name I always really loved was "River City Ransom".. it just flows. A few others in this category:

-Killer Instinct
-Mortal Kombat
-Doom
-Wrath of the Black Manta (NES)

For a weird choice, how about "Suicide Adventure" for the Atari 2600? Context matters here... if you know that it's a Adventure hack that really ratchets up the difficulty, then the name makes sense. If you don't know that, then it's one of the stranger game names ever...

nesfan

Postby nesfan » January 2nd, 2019, 7:41 pm

Some games that I think just roll off the tongue really well. Or they just sound cool and I can't place exactly why:
Fatal Fury
Silhouette Mirage
Parasite Eve
Jet Force Gemini
Wild Guns
Wild Arms
Windjammers
Neo Turf Masters (How did they make a golf game sound so cool?)
Grandia
Shenmue
Contra
Fatal Frame
StarTropics
Power Stone

That's what I got off the top of my head.

lynchie137

Postby lynchie137 » January 3rd, 2019, 12:23 pm

Communist Mutants From Space. Once again for the Atari 2600. I like the title of it just because it sounds more like an old B-movie from the 1950's than a video game.

jon

Postby jon » January 3rd, 2019, 8:47 pm

I'll go with Viewpoint. Mortal Kombat is amazing too.

lynchie137

Postby lynchie137 » January 4th, 2019, 9:19 pm

Thanks for all the suggestions, folks. Keep 'em coming.

Return to “Video Games General”