Bad game names

General and high profile video game topics.
Gentlegamer

Re: Bad game names

Postby Gentlegamer » January 3rd, 2019, 1:12 pm

Two Worlds II

Cafeman

Postby Cafeman » January 3rd, 2019, 6:06 pm

CaptainCruch wrote:Donkey Kong.... the game is about a monkey, not a donkey.

We kids thought it was a stupid name at first, too. Also I did not like the sound of Pac Man (my cousin called it Paceman), or Sonic the Hedgehog, at first. But things grow on you after a while.

I think the worst name is Wild Woody ... especially next to it's cover art!

jon

Postby jon » January 3rd, 2019, 6:42 pm

I'm going to incite a lot of hatred, but Donkey Kong screams I'm not interested. Earthworm Jim isn't my favorite either.

Robotrek

Postby Robotrek » January 3rd, 2019, 7:44 pm

jon wrote:I'm going to incite a lot of hatred, but Donkey Kong screams I'm not interested. Earthworm Jim isn't my favorite either.

It's a translation of stubborn gorilla.

Luigi & Peach

Postby Luigi & Peach » January 4th, 2019, 9:19 am

Cafeman wrote:

We kids thought it was a stupid name at first, too. Also I did not like the sound of Pac Man (my cousin called it Paceman), or Sonic the Hedgehog, at first. But things grow on you after a while.

Pac Man was originally supposed to be Puck Man, but it was thought it would be too easy to vandalize the "Puck" into a more profane NSFW word on arcade cabinets.

The background on the naming of Donkey Kong is actually pretty fascinating including Nintendo getting sued for using the name Kong.

scotland

Postby scotland » January 4th, 2019, 10:56 am

Luigi & Peach wrote:
Cafeman wrote:

Pac Man was originally supposed to be Puck Man, but it was thought it would be too easy to vandalize the "Puck" into a more profane NSFW word on arcade cabinets.

The background on the naming of Donkey Kong is actually pretty fascinating including Nintendo getting sued for using the name Kong.

The background is interesting. Nintendo was sued by Universal. We think of Universal's King Kong ride and all that, but the original 1933 film was RKO, and the 1976 King Kong was Paramount. Universal wanted to make a remake based on the novelization of the 1933 movie - and that novelization had fallen into public domain! In the end, Universal ended up paying Nintendo, and I think it cleared the air for future video games like Rampage to not get sued by anyone

mbd36

Postby mbd36 » January 4th, 2019, 12:05 pm

Donkey Kong is such a classic, iconic title that I can't imagine the games being called anything else. I would hardly list it as a bad name. It just fits for some reason. I've always liked it.

lynchie137

Postby lynchie137 » January 4th, 2019, 9:20 pm

scotland wrote:
lynchie137 wrote:
DrLitch wrote:
Atari definitely used to like Space back in the day :D

Definitely. I mean, there must be at least 30 games in their extensive library that has the word "space" in the title. Probably even more...

Well, Space was 1) More exciting then because people remembered putting a man on the moon and all the fun in the 1970s like the Six Million Dollar Man (the last Apollo moon astronaut), the Soyuz Apollo docking, and Skylab falling back to Earth 2) Space needs no background, 4) Space is The Future and no one says "That's not how a spaceship really looks/moves" and 5) Space had a long origin in gaming already with game like Space War and Super Star Trek.

Very good points.

lynchie137

Postby lynchie137 » January 4th, 2019, 9:33 pm

Frisky Tom for the Atari 5200. It sounds like hte title of one of those infamous X-rated 2600 games. And it probably plays just as horribly too.

Gentlegamer

Postby Gentlegamer » January 5th, 2019, 2:17 pm

Wii [Game Name]

Return to “Video Games General”