Toki (Switch)

Tell us about games you are currently playing. "Quick hit" reviews.
VideoGameCritic
Site Admin

Toki (Switch)

Postby VideoGameCritic » January 11th, 2019, 9:48 pm

Wow the developers of this remake really "get it". Not only does this game preserve the spirit of the original, but it's gameplay is far superior! This is truly a joy to play.

The package, available from GameStop, comes in a box with a lot of cool extras like art, a comic, and a little cardboard arcade you can insert your Switch into. Collectors should not hesitate! Review forthcoming.

Sut

Re: Toki (Switch)

Postby Sut » January 12th, 2019, 2:35 pm

I adore the original game and enjoy the ‘reimagined’ MegaDrive game. Shame this is Switch only hoping it does well enough to get a PS4 release.

VideoGameCritic
Site Admin

Postby VideoGameCritic » January 14th, 2019, 4:23 pm

I was just playing the Genesis Toki, and I think my C+ grade is about right. It's generally fun, but there are some aggravating factors.

I'm really happy the new Switch Toki is not a 1-for-1 remake, because there were design issues with the Genesis game.

Sut

Postby Sut » January 14th, 2019, 5:26 pm

Genesis Toki actually deviates from the original game.
The original has shorter levels but feel better designed and less bloated as a result.

I agree the Genesis version is a ‘c’ grade game. But the ST and Amiga ports are an ‘A’ they aren’t as tough as the arcade game and have better music. The Lynx version you reviewed is also based on the arcade original.

Return to “Now Playing”