Best Game of this Generation (so far)

Reserved for modern gaming discussions.
DrLitch

Re: Best Game of this Generation (so far)

Postby DrLitch » January 10th, 2019, 9:52 pm

JWK wrote:NIER AUTOMATA... yep. People are probably getting sick of me talking about this game. I’ll be to the point: this game has the greatest soundtrack I’ve ever heard and tells the best story I’ve ever experienced. The graphics are gorgeous, the characters are as quirky and Japanese as you can be (apologies to Persona), and running through the war-torn cities is surreal (though it had some technical hiccups on PC/base PS4 but are more or less eliminated with the PS4 Pro/XBox One X). The game has 26 ENDINGS, but 22 of them are jokes (death by... bad fish?), which highlights how effortlessly the game transitions from world ending catastrophe to not taking itself too seriously. The story will fill your heart one moment and rip it out of your chest the next. And once you reach the end, be prepared to have the story race through your mind for the next few MONTHS. If you never listen to another suggestion I make on this board, hear this: NieR: Automata is one of the greatest video games ever made. It’s my choice for Game of the Generation and in my Top 3 games of all time. For the glory of mankind, indeed.

Before getting to this topic, your list is outstanding. It seems you have very similar taste to me. I do not see any CRPG's on your list though but that is okay, the genre has "acquired taste" stamped on it :D. I am pretty much a PC gamer and only play the consoles for exclusive content. Pretty much grew up on that genre. Playing Icewind Dale at the moment for the first time in some 15 years, oh yeah, just as mamma used to make em... Agreed with Half Life 2 being beyond excellent and I am not even an FPS fanboy.

Now to Nier Automata. So I finally meet another who holds this game in very high esteem. I do not meet too many folks that speak highly to the point they consider it an all time favorite. Nier Automata might be in my top 10 of all time. This even playing it on the PC which ran horribly on my setup at the time (i7-7700K/16GB Ram/GTX1080). Now that I moved my build to an i9-9900k/RTX2080Ti, it is still shocking that Nier Automata struggles to hit 60fps at 1080p and will have serious frame stagger, bottoming out to around 10fps. It is crazy. The graphics are awesome though and the soundtrack is... different.... but in a good way. Not many games out there have you battling robotic enemies far bigger than the screen. Some enemies are beyond epic. I am surprised this game is not in the 95 - 97 section on Metacritic. I notice that 2B is on the Soul Caliber 6 roster so somebody out there likes Nier Automata.

JWK

Postby JWK » January 13th, 2019, 4:02 pm

@DrLitch - It’s not that I’m not *willing* to get into cRPGs. Honestly, I just haven’t found my “gateway” game. Plus, whatever game that may be, I’m gonna be playing on consoles, as I don’t have a good PC. I own Divinity: Original Sin (just the 1st one) on PS4, but I haven’t even attempted to start it. It seems like a pretty intimidating genre, to be honest. I see you put Divinity II and Pillars of Eternity on your list (both of which are also on consoles) so I could try them out. Any suggestions for a first cRPG (on consoles, of course) that a console-baby like myself could try to get a taste of the genre?

Always love talking to other people that adored NieR the way I did! Square Enix was reportedly blown away by the response to the game. I think it sold twice as much as their expectations, if not more. A sequel is most likely happening (I’m guessing for PS5, etc). Yoko Taro also said they would think about a new gen update for the first NieR game if Automata sold well (which it did), but I haven’t heard anything on that front. I also loved the first NieR (especially the music and story) and I’d say it was probably a top 10 7th gen game for me.

Voor

Postby Voor » January 13th, 2019, 9:31 pm

DrLitch

Postby DrLitch » January 14th, 2019, 7:06 pm

JWK wrote:@DrLitch - It’s not that I’m not *willing* to get into cRPGs. Honestly, I just haven’t found my “gateway” game. Plus, whatever game that may be, I’m gonna be playing on consoles, as I don’t have a good PC. I own Divinity: Original Sin (just the 1st one) on PS4, but I haven’t even attempted to start it. It seems like a pretty intimidating genre, to be honest. I see you put Divinity II and Pillars of Eternity on your list (both of which are also on consoles) so I could try them out. Any suggestions for a first cRPG (on consoles, of course) that a console-baby like myself could try to get a taste of the genre?

Always love talking to other people that adored NieR the way I did! Square Enix was reportedly blown away by the response to the game. I think it sold twice as much as their expectations, if not more. A sequel is most likely happening (I’m guessing for PS5, etc). Yoko Taro also said they would think about a new gen update for the first NieR game if Automata sold well (which it did), but I haven’t heard anything on that front. I also loved the first NieR (especially the music and story) and I’d say it was probably a top 10 7th gen game for me.

The Divinity Original Sin I and II are excellent starting places, as is Pillars of Eternity. Play these, go back to earlier games. My personal faves of this genre are Baldur's Gate, Icewind Dale, and Planescape: Torment, along with Divinity Original Sin 2. Of course the original Fallout and Fallout 2 are among my most favorite games ever made. Most of these titles tend to be released on the PC (although were ported to the consoles of the day but you will need an emulator or original hardware to play them). Luckily you do not need great PC hardware to render them, games pre 2008 tend to run fine on whatever chipset HD graphics come with the processor (although one often needs to install missing DLL's or purchase from a site like GOG). Like other RPG's (of the more classical turn based variety) you will necessarily have to invest a lot of time. They really are not pick up and play for an hour and put down.

A sequel to Nier Automata would be a no brainer for me. There are not many games I am excited for this year or next, we have been spoiled the last two years. Original Nier? I would be down for a remake. I missed that one at the time and when I recently played it I did not do so with the lens of nostalgia. Result = I did not like it as much as I could have although I did think it was an enjoyable game. I had a similar experience with HD Remaster of Twilight Princess on the WiiU. I missed the original at the time, without nostalgia in play, I found the game fairly average and could not force myself to complete it. Had i played it on the original Wii or Gamecube I am sure I would have viewed the HD remaster differently.

GTS

Postby GTS » January 15th, 2019, 7:26 am

Rainbow Six Siege has got to be in the running. It's not high in the game rankings list because it had a bad launch (server problems, unbalanced gameplay), but Ubisoft put years of polish into it since then. Anyone who goes back and reviews it now will see a totally different game. It's now been four years and they are still releasing new content for it.

If we are talking cultural impact, Fortnite is the game of this generation.

Retro STrife

Postby Retro STrife » January 15th, 2019, 9:01 am

GTS wrote:Rainbow Six Siege has got to be in the running. It's not high in the game rankings list because it had a bad launch (server problems, unbalanced gameplay), but Ubisoft put years of polish into it since then. Anyone who goes back and reviews it now will see a totally different game. It's now been four years and they are still releasing new content for it.

If we are talking cultural impact, Fortnite is the game of this generation.

Fortnite - I like that one. Definitely the biggest for cultural impact; I agree with you on that. Great game too. I hadn't even thought of it, because it isn't on the Gamerankings list.

I've heard good things about Rainbow Six Seige too - like you noted, that they've really polished it up since release and it's one of the best shooters out there. Interesting that it made such a big comeback -- usually once you blow the launch of a game and all the bad reviews roll in, it's hard to overcome that.

Retro STrife

Postby Retro STrife » January 15th, 2019, 12:11 pm

At the time of starting this post, I had only played 4 games from the top 15 list -- GTA V, Uncharted 4, Undertale, and Celeste. I've since put about 5-10 hours into Zelda: Breath of the Wild, so I have a decent handle on how I feel about that game. Good game, but so far nothing about it inspires me to write songs over it. For now, I still would choose Uncharted 4 as my personal favorite of the five games in the top 15 that I've played, and GTA V as the one I feel is objectively best. I'm sure something else will replace those as I make my way through more games, but I can't comment on what I haven't played.

I would add, though, that Fortnite and Rocket League are two games that aren't in the top 15, but that got me really addicted. It's not often that a game hooks me like that these days.

LoganRuckman

Postby LoganRuckman » January 20th, 2019, 6:58 am

Super Mario Odyssey was everything I wanted out of a 3D Mario. Galaxy 1 and 2 and 3D Land/World are great, but I really missed the large, open ended approach to level design that 64 and Sunshine offered. Odyssey delivered in spades. I also love the capture mechanic, as it constantly gave you something new to mess around with. Every second of this game gave me pure joy. Add to that a colorful artstyle and the awesome soundtrack, and we have ourselves a bona fide 10/10 masterpiece.

Shovel Knight is also really high up. Easily the best 8 bit tribute I've ever played.

DrLitch

Postby DrLitch » January 20th, 2019, 11:45 pm

Issue I had with Mario Odyssey is that it was all a bit too easy. Outstanding level design, innovation, charm, great music, and a lot of fun. I never was much into collecting so managed to beat the game in 15 hours or so. Never saw a continue screen once. I do not know how many moons there are to collect, I made it to around 300 and left it at that. Pretty much like Breath of the Wild, 300 Korock seeds and I was done, even if I saw an incomplete Korock puzzle, I did not bother with it. Much the same with Odyssey. Beat it and moved on. Wish it were longer and harder.

Return to “Modern Gaming”