Super Smash Bros. Ultimate vs Super Smash Bros. for Wii U

Reserved for modern gaming discussions.
DrLitch

Re: Super Smash Bros. Ultimate vs Super Smash Bros. for Wii U

Postby DrLitch » January 22nd, 2019, 8:36 pm

Sonicx9 wrote:My problem was, one of the reason I hated on the 8th gen consoles was this article: https://www.reddit.com/r/pcmasterrace/wiki/guide and a friend I have in real life which I will not name. But what I should do is try to do opinions on myself, not try copying other peoples and be a bandwagon freak which I admit because I try too hard at being a YouTube style celebrity on the forums which does not work well for this website.

And that link is very black and white and that one thing I can not stand about the PC Master Race community.

Many of these PC building enthusiast sites, including PC Master Race community are echo chambers and generally are a gang of bro's all sharing the same sentiments. Different opinion? Be prepared for the downvote brigade! I am a PC building enthusiast and have an online reputation over there and many other sites dedicated to the craft. While these are mostly decent folks enjoying their hobby, several are not really gamers either. Their priorities lie elsewhere. Visit the forums in 2020 when the PS5 comes out, there will be a flurry of activity. When the Xbox One X came out, within 3 months many members had upgraded their builds so that they can beat the Xbox. LOL. I know of several people that only have around 20 of the classic "benchmarking" titles in their Steam Account. They are not gamers when games serve only one purpose - as a frame rate test for their hardware. The opinion of a PC builder/enthusiast, particularly one who considers the nexus of his/her hobby as being overclocking with innovative liquid cooling or hitting 1% benchmarks, then take their console gaming opinion with a large grain of salt. Taking stock of their console opinions would be like asking a hungry Lion for his opinion on a salad or meat dish for dinner.

As for you, PC's outperforming consoles should not be a factor in enjoying consoles. Ignore hardware, does not matter. When I say hardware, I mean innards of the console, not the peripherals like waggle controls etc... What is more interesting is how games have evolved with the hardware. This is where Nintendo's old school charm but innovative use of hardware with gaming puts them above most of the AAA companies who churn out the same crap year after year. Assassin's Creed, dang, I hope they do not release another game for years, maybe ever. I have had my bellyful of that.

Sonicx9

Postby Sonicx9 » January 22nd, 2019, 9:15 pm

Voor wrote:Lol. I admire your transparency. No celebrities here, just dudes trying to pass the time discussing a beloved hobby. Don’t try to hard to make an impression.

Lol you are right, I did try too hard to be a wannabe YouTube celebrity.

Sonicx9

Postby Sonicx9 » January 23rd, 2019, 3:53 pm

DrLitch wrote:
Sonicx9 wrote:My problem was, one of the reason I hated on the 8th gen consoles was this article: https://www.reddit.com/r/pcmasterrace/wiki/guide and a friend I have in real life which I will not name. But what I should do is try to do opinions on myself, not try copying other peoples and be a bandwagon freak which I admit because I try too hard at being a YouTube style celebrity on the forums which does not work well for this website.

And that link is very black and white and that one thing I can not stand about the PC Master Race community.

Many of these PC building enthusiast sites, including PC Master Race community are echo chambers and generally are a gang of bro's all sharing the same sentiments. Different opinion? Be prepared for the downvote brigade! I am a PC building enthusiast and have an online reputation over there and many other sites dedicated to the craft. While these are mostly decent folks enjoying their hobby, several are not really gamers either. Their priorities lie elsewhere. Visit the forums in 2020 when the PS5 comes out, there will be a flurry of activity. When the Xbox One X came out, within 3 months many members had upgraded their builds so that they can beat the Xbox. LOL. I know of several people that only have around 20 of the classic "benchmarking" titles in their Steam Account. They are not gamers when games serve only one purpose - as a frame rate test for their hardware. The opinion of a PC builder/enthusiast, particularly one who considers the nexus of his/her hobby as being overclocking with innovative liquid cooling or hitting 1% benchmarks, then take their console gaming opinion with a large grain of salt. Taking stock of their console opinions would be like asking a hungry Lion for his opinion on a salad or meat dish for dinner.

As for you, PC's outperforming consoles should not be a factor in enjoying consoles. Ignore hardware, does not matter. When I say hardware, I mean innards of the console, not the peripherals like waggle controls etc... What is more interesting is how games have evolved with the hardware. This is where Nintendo's old school charm but innovative use of hardware with gaming puts them above most of the AAA companies who churn out the same crap year after year. Assassin's Creed, dang, I hope they do not release another game for years, maybe ever. I have had my bellyful of that.

It does look like the 8th Gen is the most polarizing console gen bar none, it also not helped that the PC Master Race community which is black and white also does not help the situation.

Not to be political or anything but the 8th gen consoles community vs the PC Master Race community is very similar to the current political climate of how divided and polarizing at the moment.

CharlieR

Postby CharlieR » January 24th, 2019, 2:27 pm

Sonicx9 wrote:
Voor wrote:I’m actually of the process of deciding on a new system: either 2DSXL or a switch. The thing is, I play only 1-2 hours/week and it’s perfectly fine it’s that’s only Mario Kart and Smash (those are games that I can jump into online play for a challenge).

So, I have to decide between MK7 and Smash 3DS, or MK8 and Ultimate. Seems like a no-brainer, but it’s also $175 vs $450 (Console + games + controller).

As far as getting a 3ds/2ds XL vs a Switch, I would say the 3ds, not only because it is the cheaper option, but I play my 2ds XL more, maybe because I have more games on it, or am more used to playing on it. I would suggest the 2ds XL, because you can get your mario kart, smash bros “fix” on this system, plus a lot of the best games, such as Super Mario 3d land, Kirby Triple Deluxe, etc. are Nintendo Selects.

At least for MK7 to MK8 at least those where completely different games, why can they not do the same for Smash it makes little sense.

So, are you saying that most smash games are too similar? I know Melee had faster gameplay, and Brawl was slower. For what it's worth, I did prefer Brawl. I played a bit of the Wii U smash and have Smash on 3ds, and they feel similar to Brawl. I have not played the new one, is it too similar, just with more stages and characters?

Sonicx9

Postby Sonicx9 » January 24th, 2019, 5:39 pm

CharlieR wrote:
Sonicx9 wrote:
Voor wrote:I’m actually of the process of deciding on a new system: either 2DSXL or a switch. The thing is, I play only 1-2 hours/week and it’s perfectly fine it’s that’s only Mario Kart and Smash (those are games that I can jump into online play for a challenge).

So, I have to decide between MK7 and Smash 3DS, or MK8 and Ultimate. Seems like a no-brainer, but it’s also $175 vs $450 (Console + games + controller).

As far as getting a 3ds/2ds XL vs a Switch, I would say the 3ds, not only because it is the cheaper option, but I play my 2ds XL more, maybe because I have more games on it, or am more used to playing on it. I would suggest the 2ds XL, because you can get your mario kart, smash bros “fix” on this system, plus a lot of the best games, such as Super Mario 3d land, Kirby Triple Deluxe, etc. are Nintendo Selects.

At least for MK7 to MK8 at least those where completely different games, why can they not do the same for Smash it makes little sense.

So, are you saying that most smash games are too similar? I know Melee had faster gameplay, and Brawl was slower. For what it's worth, I did prefer Brawl. I played a bit of the Wii U smash and have Smash on 3ds, and they feel similar to Brawl. I have not played the new one, is it too similar, just with more stages and characters?

I only meant this for Smash 4 for Wii U and 3DS not the entire series ok.

LoganRuckman

Postby LoganRuckman » January 25th, 2019, 9:49 am

Smash 4 Wii U is simply a good game in my favorite fighting series. Ultimate actually has a shot at dethroning Melee as my favorite Smash game once I get around to playing it more. It's no contest for me.

Sonicx9

Postby Sonicx9 » January 25th, 2019, 3:02 pm

LoganRuckman wrote:Smash 4 Wii U is simply a good game in my favorite fighting series. Ultimate actually has a shot at dethroning Melee as my favorite Smash game once I get around to playing it more. It's no contest for me.

For me Ultimate because it feels like a proper current gen game, end of story.

VicViper

Postby VicViper » January 25th, 2019, 5:33 pm

Smash Ultimate is bogged down by its half-baked single-player modes.

While Smash 4 had lots of modes that feel complete but not much cohesion, Ultimate just has Classic mode & Spirits that are fleshed out... which doesn't mean it's "good" when talking about the latter.

Spirits mode, more accurately the Adventure mode, is absolutely bloated. I can understand for Subspace in Brawl when you could eventually get bored because of the last world being a complete copy/paste at the end, but holy crap what happened with Spirits? Halfway through the first board I was already burnt out, the lack of platforming, the absolutely barebones story, and the fact that it's just a series of fights for +25h. Am I doing this again? Hell no.

Ultimate lacks the single-player arcade quality that Smash 4 had; Smash 4 had Master & Crazy (especially) Orders, it had Home Run Smash, a complete Multi-Man Melee, a real All-Star Mode, and Target Blast was a great distraction (at least on Wii U). Ultimate has a better Classic mode, and an Adventure mode that's like going through molasses.

Ultimate does the core gameplay & raw content (stages & characters) better, and the multiplayer aspect is also better, but I'm not always surrounded with people or online, I don't feel as compelled to play Ultimate on my own as I were for Smash 4.

DrLitch

Postby DrLitch » January 25th, 2019, 6:38 pm

Sonicx9 wrote:
DrLitch wrote:It does look like the 8th Gen is the most polarizing console gen bar none, it also not helped that the PC Master Race community which is black and white also does not help the situation.
Not to be political or anything but the 8th gen consoles community vs the PC Master Race community is very similar to the current political climate of how divided and polarizing at the moment.

8th gen vs PC? It is opinions, nothing more.

Take PC gaming and Console Gaming for what it is worth, have your own opinion on it, other people's opinions do not necessarily have to bias yours. It is just a hobby, folks that like the same hobby group together as a collective, some that like another hobby group over in some other space. If mob rules apply, you can scrub that site out of your life and think nothing more of it. You are under no obligation to agree or disagree with any of it, nor do you necessarily have to be perturbed by it. Live and let live.

Sonicx9

Postby Sonicx9 » January 25th, 2019, 8:37 pm

DrLitch wrote:
Sonicx9 wrote:
DrLitch wrote:It does look like the 8th Gen is the most polarizing console gen bar none, it also not helped that the PC Master Race community which is black and white also does not help the situation.

8th gen vs PC? It is opinions, nothing more.

Take PC gaming and Console Gaming for what it is worth, have your own opinion on it, other people's opinions do not necessarily have to bias yours. It is just a hobby, folks that like the same hobby group together as a collective, some that like another hobby group over in some other space. If mob rules apply, you can scrub that site out of your life and think nothing more of it. You are under no obligation to agree or disagree with any of it, nor do you necessarily have to be perturbed by it. Live and let live.

You have a good point, but at the same time the PC Master Race loves to treat what they say as facts.

Return to “Modern Gaming”