The Motivation and Success Thread

Talk about music, movies, television, books, and other media. No religious or political discussion allowed.
Herschie

The Motivation and Success Thread

Postby Herschie » January 7th, 2019, 6:14 pm

Ok, let's face it, video games are not the most productive way to spend your time, at least for the most part. That's why I set up my office in the basement instead of next to my game room, because I actually want to start my own business. I'm actually looking into the wastepaper basket and see two sandwich bags with traces of weed in them. That's sort of symbolic as in that sort of lifestyle is over, and now is the time to get things done. Today I got some things done around the house, worked out, and did some research on starting said business.

I actually love hearing success stories because I genuinely get happy for others, and I draw inspiration from them. And so I start this thread. I'd love to hear it, whether you aced a tough class, picked up a really cute girl, hit your fitness goal, whatever it may be. How did it happen? What were some of your challenges? What about it made you feel so good afterward? All I ask is that it not be about video games.

The opposite is also true, in that I get demotivated when I see others fail. I remember when I was 17, there was this club called "Zero Gravity". Perhaps some of you grew up around Chicago and would know what I'm talking about. I remember upon pulling in, I saw the most gorgeous girl I had ever seen in my entire life. And this was just in the parking lot! Trust me when I say, it was no different when I got inside. But I wanted to talk to these girls.

Unfortunately I wasn't exactly Mr. Confidence at age 17, and I would watch other guys try and get shot down. While my friends would chuckle at their misfortune, I actually lost confidence over it. If they're not having much success, then this must be really hard. Though I would have some great success at that club, on that night I was too petrified to even think about approaching a girl.

However, I do have a success story. At a previous sales job, they'd send out this spreadsheet about how we're doing in regards to percent-to-goal. Through something beyond my control, I'd constantly be on the bottom, at 72%, 76%, 68%. Oh, and you started getting commission at 90%. It was embarrassing.

But then I really put in an honest effort. I remember asking my manager what I was doing wrong, and how I could improve. We started listening to my calls to pinpoint the problem. And I started making a lot more of them. It didn't bring immediate success, but such was the nature of this particular sales job. But before long, my numbers did creep up. The shot up. What made me the most proud was that the improvement could be directly traced back to me, and not just sheer luck. I closed a couple big sales, and even saved one that was about to cancel when I called to check up to see if the guy was happy.

When I left that job because they moved too far away, I was second on the spreadsheet at like 156% and getting a nice commission check. Unfortunately commission is considered a bonus, and so gets taxed extremely heavily.

But yeah, it felt good playing The Show or Zelda after a good successful day like that. In any case, it'd be interesting to hear some of your success stories about basically anything but video games.

Voor

Re: The Motivation and Success Thread

Postby Voor » January 8th, 2019, 10:03 pm

I’ve always been a hard workers and take joy in pleasing others, but I do get fatigued at times.

Anyway, my tips are to be kind, honest, and appreciative. I know that sounds obvious, but as a supervisor, I see lots of situations where talented individuals lose opportunities and damage relationships simply be not being friendly. Take the extra time to tell people you appreciate them helping you, be transparent, and return phone calls/emails quickly. “The best ability is availability” as I’ve heard at times. Open and responsive communication goes a LONG way with customers.

VideoGameCritic
Site Admin

Postby VideoGameCritic » January 14th, 2019, 1:29 pm

There's something ironic about a "motivation and success" threading dying due to lack of interest! LOL

CharlieR

Postby CharlieR » January 14th, 2019, 2:05 pm

Mine is getting my Drivers' license. Probably not the biggest deal to some, but for me it was. I had a brain tumor when I was younger, and I was working on getting my license for years, and I finally did it few years ago!

I first went to a driver rehabilitation when I was a senior in high school, and was declared unable to drive. I went back in my early 20's after more practice. I was getting better, but the instructors said the same thing. The lessons were funded by the state, and the instructor told me it wouldn't be fair to the state to continue with the lessons. It didn't really make sense. I kept practicing, and decided to pay for private lessons with AAA. I took my test six times but finally got it on the sixth try!

The interesting thing is, I was more excited to just be done with the whole thing, rather than getting a car, if that makes sense. Not having to deal with my dad yelling at me for taking too long to do a k-turn, stingy driving instructors, etc. Just glad to be done with it!

Voor

Postby Voor » January 19th, 2019, 3:22 pm

Congrats on that accomplishment, and even more for your persistence!

CharlieR

Postby CharlieR » January 24th, 2019, 3:08 pm

Thank you!

Herschie

Postby Herschie » January 30th, 2024, 5:39 pm

It's funny reading this stuff from five years ago and comparing it to where I am today. Gone are my days as a salesman, and I'm currently an accountant. At work though, I tend to vibe better with the sales team than my own department. We like sharing our war stories. I suppose I'd still be good at it, but once I get my CPA, accounting will be so much more lucrative.

A few weeks ago my manager told me in a subtle way that she was onto me and my shenanigans, and that I'd better stop. And I have. No more naps at work, and I try and stay focused. Because I have one of three goals that I need to accomplish this year:

1) Do not get fired from my current accounting position
2) Get my master's in accounting
2a) Get my CPA
3) Get back into shape, which I'll define as losing at least 20 pounds of fat, and be able to run two miles without worrying about a heart attack.

Today I thought about locking away all my video game controllers so I could accomplish all this, but then I thought to myself, what would that do? I'll just find something else to be distracted by.

A couple weeks ago I had an epiphany as well. I was watching this clip on Instagram: https://www.instagram.com/reel/CzhU5rUuOgK/?igsh=bDRoa2gzamkyNHVm&fbclid=IwAR1d0VNCQqf6VN26R21b7QR5JdOwZXCiutw8YK8Q3euwmgXmn3gc_ZD_-RM

I realized, hey, I'm soft! I lack discipline! So I went and started looking for motivational quotes and books on self-discipline, and then decided that was pointless; I'm either going to do this or I'm not. There are no magic words, there is no magic formula. I just have to do it!

So while I can't say I've reached my goals just yet, I've definitely made some progress. And it's amazing how much better I feel now that I've cut out fast food and started exercising. But I really need to hurry up and get that CPA, that's when the real money is going to start coming in!

VideoGameCritic
Site Admin

Postby VideoGameCritic » January 30th, 2024, 5:51 pm

Sounds like you're headed in the right direction!

One thing I do to motivate myself is to make a list of things I need to do after work. This might be fixing the sink, updating the site, catching up on my emails, work out, taking out the trash, pick up something from the store, etc. Big and small I jot them down at work.

Then I try to do them when I get home - preferably before dinner. Sometimes a task will need to wait until the next day but that's okay. By the end of the night, if I put in a hard day's work and completed my list, I feel like I deserve a beer and some video games and maybe some TV. That's my reward.

But when it comes to priorities, the video games should always be last. You have to take care of life first. But that makes the games all the more sweeter.

BanjoPickles

Postby BanjoPickles » January 30th, 2024, 8:07 pm

I dropped out of high school during my fifth year. My grades were miserable, I had no motivation, and I simply wanted to be done.

I’m not going to go into the looooong story that followed, but I will say that dropping out was my biggest regret in life. In May of 2022, I graduated with my BA in Secondary Education, Magna Cum Laude! My ex wife even called me and the first words she asked me were “do you feel like a dropout today?” I smiled and said “not today. Thank you for all of those years of being in my corner.”

I’m now a high school English teacher who is mulling his next move. I may go back to get my MA next year, and I’m currently working towards earning my CDL so I can drive the school bus. I recently told my daughter that the most liberating moment of my life was when I stopped holding on to regrets. I’m free of them. I can spend the rest of my life just being happy, and fulfilled.

Voor

Postby Voor » January 31st, 2024, 3:57 pm

Nice bump. All of 2023 was spent addressing some areas of my life that had been neglected (mainly relationships) and after addressing the HELL out of them (therapy, meditation, yoga, long hikes, long talks, etc etc)…..I’m done. lol. Not that I regret it, and I am better from the things I learned, but I cannot do any more.

I still go on hikes, enjoy long talks, and so forth, but they’re all out of enjoyment and casual. One major thing was that I was a very avid reader as a kid but got out of it while in college (due to having all my reading time taken up by school reading) and after school, I felt inclined to catch up on a lot of the classics I missed.

But recently, I felt like reading just for fun, and grabbed thr Wheel of Time series. I finished the first book (which took me a
While—I’m a slower reader now), but really enjoyed it and am starting book 2 now.

I am SUPER burnt out on my job but I need to hang in there for a few more years (kids graduated). Then, I’m hoping to reduce my cost of living, downsize significantly, and find less stressful and more engaging work. Until then, it’s survival and supporting the kids and wife’s career.

I would like to join a crappy dad band though, but we’ll see.

Return to “Other Media”