Hollow Knight - Can we convince VGC to download a game?

General and high profile video game topics.
BanjoPickles

Re: Hollow Knight - Can we convince VGC to download a game?

Postby BanjoPickles » February 8th, 2019, 7:25 pm

Dave, I urge you to stick with it! It didn’t do anything for me, at first, and then it sunk its claws into me and didn’t let up for the 27 hours I sunk into it! It’s my game of 2018!

ptdebate

Postby ptdebate » February 8th, 2019, 7:33 pm

VideoGameCritic wrote:So I just logged into my router and there are two channels - 2.4 and 5 Ghz.
I usually use the first one. Maybe I should start using the second to see what happens!

Just be forewarned, if you switch to 5Ghz exclusively it will knock off some devices that can't support that frequency such as the Wii, Wii U, Vita, 3DS and some very old laptops. Best to enable both and have the SSID and password of both set to be identical.

velcrozombie

Postby velcrozombie » February 9th, 2019, 10:15 am

I'm at 38 hours (I tend to play slowly and methodically) and the game says I'm at 76%. I think I can trigger the end-game at any time now but I'm still finding pockets I've missed and there's an entire area off to the right edge of the map that I haven't found the entrance for yet. I haven't enjoyed a game this much since Hotline: Miami (very different game, but a similar inability to focus on anything else).

snakeboy

Postby snakeboy » February 9th, 2019, 12:52 pm

https://www.google.com/amp/s/mynintendo ... -esrb/amp/

Hollow Knight Physical Release Seems To Be Happening As Rated By ESRB

"Hollow Knight was initially going to get a physical release, but that fell through. It now seems that there’s hope for fans who want a physical copy of the game as acclaimed indie game has now been rated by the ESRB. Digital games aren’t required to have a ESRB rating which means that it should hopefully be coming soon to retail."

Not sure if this means a physical release is imminent, but hopefully it's a good sign.

Paul Campbell

Postby Paul Campbell » February 10th, 2019, 1:09 pm

brent wrote:
Paul Campbell wrote:If I'm not mistaken, it was my post raving about how Axiom Verge reinvigorated my love of gaming that brought it to his attention. And having said that, I have not returned to Hollow Knight since I first downloaded and played it for a couple hours. I can see how it might drag me in if I give it due diligence, but conversely, Axiom Verge instantly became my life obsession from the moment I picked up the gun and the soundtrack started. So it might be fair to say that Axiom Verge has messed up my ability to allow a game to grow on me, and Hollow Knight might have been its first victim

I recommend giving Hollow Knight another shot. It took a couple hours for it to really hook me. At first, I was comparing it to Axiom Verge and it certainly falls short in a few ways. But after a while, I was hooked and always wanted to pick it up and make a little progress. The biggest downside to Hollow Knight in my mind is the difficulty. I'm no pro and I was able to beat Axiom Verge. I highly doubt I'll be able to beat Hollow Knight. In fact, when I finally give up trying to beat the harder bosses I may be back here to bash it!

Well, it worked. After this thread I decided to give Hollow Knight a couple more hours, and I am definitely hooked... almost to an Axiom Verge level. Probably the only thing keeping it from being exactly as good as Axiom Verge is the soundtrack. While the music is certainly good, and more fitting to the game, it doesn't have that stuck-in-your-head quality that the Axiom soundtrack had. I converted the Axiom soundtrack CD to mp3 so I could store it in my phone with the rest of my music... that's how much I loved it. Other than that, I love it. After initially disliking the attack method, and the mess it leaves on the screen after each hit, I'm getting used to it and enjoying that attack and am able to discern the way the enemies come at you after each hit. It took my a long time to figure out that I could use Soul to refill my health because the Focus button came unassigned from the outset, which made me think it was something I needed to find. I would have gotten farther, faster, had I understood that.

Anyways, great game! Thanks for pushing me back into it!

VideoGameCritic
Site Admin

Postby VideoGameCritic » February 13th, 2019, 8:41 pm

Just beat Hornet - a girl boss in a pink dress! That makes me a big winner.
I'm definitely warming up to this game.
Got a long way to go but I'm thinking B+ at this point.

velcrozombie

Postby velcrozombie » February 15th, 2019, 8:58 am

Team Cherry just announced a sequel for Hollow Knight, starring Hornet:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yQxwbZsL14Y

One cool detail - the game will be free to anyone who pledged at least $10 to the Kickstarter for the first game.

There's no release date as of yet, but the trailer shows a lot of gameplay footage.

Paul Campbell

Postby Paul Campbell » February 18th, 2019, 3:01 am

VideoGameCritic wrote:Just beat Hornet - a girl boss in a pink dress! That makes me a big winner.
I'm definitely warming up to this game.
Got a long way to go but I'm thinking B+ at this point.

Either you are ahead of me or have gone in a different general direction because I haven't seen that one yet. I did alot of grinding early on thinking I would appreciate it later, but I think now I bought things in the wrong order and should have let things progress more organically, including saving my money for more useful items earlier on instead of hoarding cheaper items.

Paul Campbell

Postby Paul Campbell » February 18th, 2019, 3:33 am

And by the way, is it just me, or did the person who designed that Greenpath area have male genetalia on the brain?

VideoGameCritic
Site Admin

Postby VideoGameCritic » February 18th, 2019, 8:43 am

I reached some mushroom area where I can't do anything because there are black geysers blocking stuff off.

Return to “Video Games General”