Crown Jewel of your collection?

Reserved for classic gaming discussions.
Wallyworld1

Postby Wallyworld1 » September 10th, 2014, 10:10 am

[QUOTE=Rev][QUOTE=Wallyworld]OK I have resized my photos to fit here.

Here is the Xbox Kiosk, Xbox game collection around 500 unique titles. I added a photo of a NES top loader I picked up yesterday at a thrift store for $25. I added a pic of my JVC X'eye. I also attached a pic of my rarest item. It's a Black NES controller for the Sharp NES TV.  I still need over 200 Xbox titles to finish the collection but most cost under $10.

Thanks for your interest I love this stuff.

[/QUOTE]

That's really cool. I've never seen anyone actually take one of those kiosks home with them. Do you play your xbox standing up? Or do you have a way to play sitting down? Still, your room looks awesome. Really awesome man.[/QUOTE]

I hooked up wireless controllers to the kiosk. So i can play from the comfort of my recliner. :-)

Vexer1

Postby Vexer1 » September 13th, 2014, 3:50 pm

My crown jewel is a complete copy of Crash: Mind Over Mutant for the 360, for some strange reason this version of the game really shot up in price over the past few years(A new copy on Amazon can sell for nearly 100 dollars) but the other versions are more reasonable.

Herschie

Re: Crown Jewel of your collection?

Postby Herschie » February 9th, 2019, 9:27 pm

This may sound weird, but my crown jewel is the Gamecube component cables I bought for like fifty bucks back in 2007. I had just joined the HD family (Funny how I'm so obsessed with old CRTs nowadays), and those are terrible for composite. I had to order one from Japan.

Now I'm seeing them for like $600 on Amazon. Geezaloo!

Oh, and my mom bought me a pack of Nintendo playing cards when she went to Japan in 1984.

GTS

Postby GTS » February 9th, 2019, 11:09 pm

You should never use Amazon to determine pricing. Crash: Mind Over Mutant sells for $20 on Ebay. The Gamecube component cables are about $200, not $600. The price of those will plummet as more companies create HDMI converters for the Gamecube.

My crown jewel is an S-video modified Genesis. Not expensive, but it's brought me the most retro joy the past 8 years.

JWK

Postby JWK » February 11th, 2019, 6:04 pm

Man, awesome topic and really fun to see people’s responses.

“Console:” My custom, 2 player tabletop MAME machine. Many hours of single players shmups and beat em ups and competitive 2D Fighter matches against family and friends.

My mint copy of Panzer Dragoon Saga. It’s a great RPG, certainly one of the 15 or so best I’ve ever played.

My RPG collection on PS1. I have every (80+) North American RPG released on the system; black label and complete.

My entire Sega Saturn JP import collection, but specifically the ~30 shmup titles. Saturn Shmups that are $200+ in my library include: Radiant Silvergun, Batsugun, Battle Garegga, Cotton Boomerrang, X-Multiply, Hyper Duel, and a few others.

My JP XBox 360 and all Cave released Shmups. While many of these are worth some $$$, many of them are not. It’s just an awesome collection of some of the best games the genre has ever seen. I love playing Mushihimesama 1.5, Mushihimesama HD, DoDonPachi SaiDaiOuJou, etc on a Computer CRT hooked up via VGA cables in TATE position.

My Snes hooked up to CRT (component) and Super NT (HDMI) and my entire SNES collection, including some of my favorite games of all time: Earthbound, Chrono Trigger, Super Metroid, A Link to the Past, Mega Man X, Super Castlevania IV, Final Fantasy III/VI, Contra III, Super Ghouls and Ghosts, etc. Other than the RPGs, nothing is crazy expensive, but it’s my favorite system andlubrary of all time. True love dies hard. :)

Retro STrife

Postby Retro STrife » February 11th, 2019, 6:42 pm

Great topic - I know it's old, but it's a fun and interesting one to revive. Here's a few of mine:

CONSOLE: Magnavox Odyssey, boxed/complete, from the first run of consoles in 1972. I care a lot about the history of gaming hardware, so this is an important one to me. I've only hooked it up once, and there's nothing worth playing on it, but it's just a cool piece to have around and display. Just last month, I finally bought the gun accessory for the system, which had eluded me for years.

GAME: Panzer Dragoon Saga, complete. The most valuable single game in my collection, and also one of my top 3 favorite games ever. Plus, the Saturn is my favorite system to collect for, so that adds to it. I was fortunate to get this years ago when it cost a lot less. And it came from Craigslist of all places.

COMPUTER: Apple IIe. My collection of 70s/80s gaming computers is pretty modest, and I don't have much interest in hooking them up. There's one exception: I grew up playing the Apple IIe in computer class, and loved games like Oregon Trail, Number Munchers, and Carmen Sandiego. So I bought one a few years ago (another Craigslist find), and a bunch of those old games, and it's now permanently set up in my game room.

ARCADE/PINBALL: X-Files pinball. I have a few arcade/pinball machines, but my X-Files pinball machine was my first. As an X-Files fan growing up, I always wanted this pinball machine. Pinballs aren't cheap, so I waited a good 15 years to finally do it. It now stays in my living room and is a lot of fun when friends and family come over.

djc

Postby djc » February 12th, 2019, 12:58 am

For consoles, I'll go with:
Boxed Turbo Duo and Turbo Express
Boxed Original front-loader Sega CD and Sega CDX
Boxed brand new Amiga CD32 (never used)

For games a few are:
Several games made by Bomb for the 2600 (fairly rare)
Street Fighter 2 (Sega Master System)

LoganRuckman

Postby LoganRuckman » February 13th, 2019, 2:48 am

I'm going to go in a different direction than my most valuable game and go with Super Mario 64 as my most cherished game I own. Sure, it's not valuable at all and can be found super cheap, but I'd be lying if I said it wasn't my favorite game of all time. All my warm nostalgic memories and the vast enjoyment I still get out it could never be replaced by a super expensive conversation piece. I love it that much. Hence why it's my personal most treasured game in my collection.

Sut

Postby Sut » February 13th, 2019, 10:49 am

Retro STrife wrote:CONSOLE: Magnavox Odyssey, boxed/complete, from the first run of consoles in 1972. I care a lot about the history of gaming hardware, so this is an important one to me. I've only hooked it up once, and there's nothing worth playing on it, but it's just a cool piece to have around and display. Just last month, I finally bought the gun accessory for the system, which had eluded me for years.

That’s brilliant I’ve played quite a bit of OdySim but would love to have a go on the real thing. Correct me if I’m wrong but the biggest barriers to the Odyssey is a bulk of its library are board game hybrids and there are no single player games.

Also check out the author from OdySim he has links to some home brews.

Retro STrife

Postby Retro STrife » February 13th, 2019, 12:41 pm

Sut wrote:That’s brilliant I’ve played quite a bit of OdySim but would love to have a go on the real thing. Correct me if I’m wrong but the biggest barriers to the Odyssey is a bulk of its library are board game hybrids and there are no single player games.

Also check out the author from OdySim he has links to some home brews.

Yes, there's no AI, so it's best to have someone to play along with. The games require a lot of imagination to actually work out. It's far more simplistic than even the Atari 2600. I only played a couple of games on the Odyssey. But take "Simon Says" for example. You put an overlay on the TV screen and the overlay is the outline of a person. Then you play Simon Says using that outline and the dot on the screen-- you point the dot on the screen to a particular body part on the outline, and then, in real life, your friend touches that body part on their body (so it's like Simon Says in real life, but with extra steps). The point is-- the system is very limited in what it could actually do, so a lot of the games are based on a combination of the dots on screen, accessories in real life, and then using your imagination to make it all work together. If all else fails though, it does have an early version of Pong on it too.

Return to “Classic Gaming”