Album Sales Dying Fast

Talk about music, movies, television, books, and other media. No religious or political discussion allowed.
Hagane

Re: Album Sales Dying Fast

Postby Hagane » January 28th, 2019, 1:54 pm

In the near future artists will have to release their album for free, by download for free in their own homepage, album sales will be a thing of past and artists will earn money more from live gigs.

pacman000

Postby pacman000 » January 28th, 2019, 2:59 pm

Hagane wrote:In the near future artists will have to release their album for free, by download for free in their own homepage, album sales will be a thing of past and artists will earn money more from live gigs.

That reminds me of something.

Before he became one half of Laurel & Hardy, Stan Laurel tried to break into vaudeville. Most of the troupes he traveled with weren't successful; theater rent was too high, and theater owners wrote contracts which benefited them.

SpaceGuitarist

Postby SpaceGuitarist » January 31st, 2019, 4:06 am

Hagane wrote:In the near future artists will have to release their album for free, by download for free in their own homepage, album sales will be a thing of past and artists will earn money more from live gigs.

I hope not - concert tickets have already tripled in price in the last fifteen years.
Back in the early 2000s I went to see Oasis live for €25 - like them or not, they were one of the biggest bands in the world back then. Flash forward 15 years and I'm paying the same amount of money to (take my mother to) see an ABBA tribute band!

Hagane

Postby Hagane » January 31st, 2019, 9:32 pm

SpaceGuitarist wrote:

I hope not - concert tickets have already tripled in price in the last fifteen years.
Back in the early 2000s I went to see Oasis live for €25 - like them or not, they were one of the biggest bands in the world back then. Flash forward 15 years and I'm paying the same amount of money to (take my mother to) see an ABBA tribute band!

Concert tickets are more expensive now because of this, bands don't earn much money from album sales anymore.

A friend of mine even told me something really absurd, ticket sales now counts as albums sales, that would be another reason why they are so expensive these days, I don't know if this is true.

velcrozombie

Postby velcrozombie » February 1st, 2019, 12:56 am

Hagane wrote:A friend of mine even told me something really absurd, ticket sales now counts as albums sales, that would be another reason why they are so expensive these days, I don't know if this is true.

I think what your friend might have been talking about is that bands will now sometimes offer a copy of their new album as part of the ticket package and that will count towards their album sales. I know when I saw Mastodon in 2017, if you ordered your ticket before a certain date you received a copy of their upcoming CD in the mail when it was released - and that was considered a sale on the Billboard charts, from what I read afterwards.

Tron

Postby Tron » February 4th, 2019, 12:31 am

SpaceGuitarist wrote:

I love ABBA. They were so groovy.

jon

Postby jon » February 4th, 2019, 3:53 pm

My brother went to a nirvana concert in ‘93and I think it was like $25-30. Of course to see another acclaimed grunge band, Pearl Jam, it costs hundreds I presume. I’d say the nirvana concert was a better value

LoganRuckman

Postby LoganRuckman » February 5th, 2019, 4:02 pm

jon wrote:My brother went to a nirvana concert in ‘93and I think it was like $25-30. Of course to see another acclaimed grunge band, Pearl Jam, it costs hundreds I presume. I’d say the nirvana concert was a better value

Well, I do know that Pearl Jam had a long, bitter battle with Ticketmaster because they thought ticket prices were too high. For more than two years, they only played at non Ticketmaster venues so fans wouldn't have to pay as much.

I do prefer Nirvana, but that was real classy of PJ.

pacman000

Postby pacman000 » February 6th, 2019, 12:39 pm

Goodbye, Ultraviolet!

The movie streaming service is shutting down in July. Never tried it; thought it was a download service. Downloads sound more useful.

https://www.theverge.com/2019/1/31/1820 ... tdown-date

(Again, trying to reduce the number of online media problem threads.)

jon

Postby jon » February 13th, 2019, 4:26 pm

I 2nd Noel Gallagher. I didn’t like his first single in 2011 the death of you and me and wrote him off. Years later with Apple Music at my disposal, I turned it on not expecting much. And his first 2 albums are great. They sold pretty well I think about a million. His last one in 2017 was good but not as good. Those are probably some of the last rock albums that ever sell well. The wretched vampire weekend had a string of dark near platinum albums. Oh well if they don’t selll as well in the future not too mad

Return to “Other Media”