Album Sales Dying Fast

Talk about music, movies, television, books, and other media. No religious or political discussion allowed.
velcrozombie

Re: Album Sales Dying Fast

Postby velcrozombie » February 13th, 2019, 6:40 pm

jon wrote:I 2nd Noel Gallagher. I didn’t like his first single in 2011 the death of you and me and wrote him off. Years later with Apple Music at my disposal, I turned it on not expecting much. And his first 2 albums are great. They sold pretty well I think about a million. His last one in 2017 was good but not as good. Those are probably some of the last rock albums that ever sell well. The wretched vampire weekend had a string of dark near platinum albums. Oh well if they don’t selll as well in the future not too mad

Don't know how you feel about them, but The Black Keys had two multi-platinum albums and a gold album from 2010-2014 - whatever you may think of them, they grinded for almost a decade before they reached that level. Metallica had a platinum album in 2016 (closer to 3 million units if you count worldwide sales) and I imagine the next one will also go platinum with the fanbase that they still command. Those two bands and Nickelback (not a fan, but they don't deserve the level of hate they get either) are the only straight-up rock bands that I can find on the top 100 selling albums since 2010. After that, it gets shaky - the only other traditional bands I see are Coldplay, Maroon 5, Mumford and Sons, the Lumineers, Imagine Dragons, Twenty One Pilots and fun. and I don't know how many of those could be classified as rock. I'm listening to a Lumineers song since I've never heard anything by them before and it's actually quite nice, but it's more on the folk spectrum then anything else.

At this point, I think the best career a rock band can probably hope for is a similar to the one a band like Clutch has created for themselves -build up a loyal following over the years/decades, play to 3-5k people on your own headlining tours and more on festivals, have your own record label and sell enough units and merch to live comfortably - but no one who isn't an established arena-level draw from the 90s or earlier is going to make outrageous money again.

jon

Postby jon » February 14th, 2019, 11:16 am

I can't believe that rock and roll has devolved into the lame, garage band low fi garbage it's become. No one rocks anymore. At least no one new. It's all garbage. No one has even the slightest sort of ingenuity that 90's bands had. I barely even heard of The Black Keys, I just looked them up. Surprisingly they did go platinum a couple times. I'm not even remotely interested in their brand of garage rock. This all started in the late 2000's with Vampire Weekend, the wimpy "rock" we have now.

Hagane

Postby Hagane » February 14th, 2019, 3:50 pm

Rock is dead I guess, just look at the last Grammy, Gret Van Fleet won, but as much as they are good musicians and sounds like a well oiled machine, they're just Led Zep wannabes, nothing original, and don't even mention Vampire Weekend, they suck, they're rock for sissies.

GTS

Postby GTS » February 14th, 2019, 7:29 pm

I love Greta Van Fleet and find them very original when compared to the other stuff out there. Black Smoke Rising is a killer song.

LoganRuckman

Postby LoganRuckman » February 16th, 2019, 8:54 pm

GTS wrote:I love Greta Van Fleet and find them very original when compared to the other stuff out there. Black Smoke Rising is a killer song.

GFV is okay, but very bland. Are you serious though? GFV is not original in the slightest. They are a pretty much exact copy of Led Zeppelin, who themselves ripped off several blues artists in their day.

@Hagane I have to disagree. Rock and metal are definitely not dead. There are plenty of great bands around today, and GFV ain't one of them. Okay, I'm being a little harsh, Greta Van Fleet is actually a decent band with a lot of talent. I just get sick of hearing that they're singlehandedly saving rock music when there are, imo, far better modern bands out there, including:

Charly Bliss
Pup
Rozwell Kid
Remo Drive
Joyce Manor
Neck Deep
The Wonder Years
Vein
Coffins
Vektor
Slugdge
Deafheaven
Black Sheep Wall
Parkway Drive
Between The Buried And Me
Courtney Barnett
Violent Soho
State Champs
Boy Pablo
The Raveonettes

Voor

Postby Voor » February 19th, 2019, 6:19 pm

^havent heard is any of those bands. But, I listen to more news than music these days. Maybe Podcasts, live streaming, etc has also cut into the music market (just as newer source of competition).

Hagane

Postby Hagane » February 20th, 2019, 2:04 pm

@LoganRuckman I've neer heard of these bands before, apart from The Raveonettes, but they are an old band from past decade.

Maybe I was wrong about Rock being dead, it may be alive, but only on underground, rock is dead on the mainstream, there aren't new big rock bands anymore, rock bands to make it big on the scene you know.

Rock bands are like bats these days, living in the underground afraid of the light, afraid to go maisntream, one could say either Arcade Fire or Arctic Monkeys, but both bands are already old by now, I'm talking about new bands, only GVF is doing it at the moment.

Voor

Postby Voor » February 20th, 2019, 6:24 pm

I really enjoy Arctic Monkeys, but haven’t listened to their music beyond the first two albums. Word is that they’ve changed/evolved/whatever, so I’m not all that interested.

GTS

Postby GTS » February 21st, 2019, 5:56 pm

Everyone saying rock is dead need to remember that our parents and grandparents were saying the same thing when they were our age. :)

GameOfThrones

Postby GameOfThrones » February 22nd, 2019, 1:10 pm

I used to buy an albums every week. Then it was every month. Now it is every couple of months. Every year i focus on a band I have always wanted to get into and get there albums then listen to them. Last year was the strawbs, progressive folk rock, the year before was Savatage. This year nothing is grabbing me so far.
I talked to my pal with the 14 thousand cds as opposed to my 6000. He tells me he streams everything now.

Return to “Other Media”