Worst Pain You Ever Felt

Reserved for classic gaming discussions.
jon

Worst Pain You Ever Felt

Postby jon » February 15th, 2019, 11:25 am

I’ve been beating the first couple metal slugs on one life with some regularity lately. But it took me a long long time to get this good. The pain I endured with The original metal slug last 2 months is insane. I might have almost cried one time. I was so mad I could’ve had an amazing night partying and I still would be mad.

Voor

Re: Worst Pain You Ever Felt

Postby Voor » February 15th, 2019, 7:25 pm

I love speedrunning and game challenges. Check out the torment this guy goes through (towards the end, and he and his friend struggle for a while):

https://youtu.be/CDUdUdY4-Ow

DrLitch

Postby DrLitch » February 15th, 2019, 8:29 pm

:D they sure do not make em like that anymore....

Yeah I feel you. Ghosts and Goblins is one that stands out for me. A childhood game, I broke controls, ripped out the game cart and threw it across the room breaking it, cussed like a sailor, punched walls denting in one of my knuckles, you name it. To this day, I still have not beaten it. Get to level 6, get to two red demons guarding the door to the final boss, I die every time. Like Groundhog day. Get to this part without even losing a single life, then could stay here indefinitely, looping over and over again. Funny thing is, the sequel, Ghouls and Ghosts, I can complete in one sitting without requiring a continue. Psychologically, Ghosts and Goblins is rigged against me.

At least Metal Slug is worth losing your $%%t over, great game. Yes, difficult and frustrating like a good shooter should be. I must say there is no way I could beat these games like you on one life, no way....

mbd36

Postby mbd36 » February 16th, 2019, 10:58 am

I recently beat Bump n Jump on the NES after several weeks of effort. It's not popular or notorious enough to be make most "toughest NES games" lists, but it's up there. The Mexican Runner listed it as one of the top ten hardest games that he beat for Nesmania. It's got 16 stages full of Battletoads style memorization and lots of enemy cars that pinball you around and bump you into stuff. It's like 50% memorization and 50% RNG with the other cars. You also have to grab fuel in order to be able to jump, and the fuel locations can be in awkward or impossible places. And to make matters worse, there are no continues (at least not without the continue cheat which I did not use). It's amusing that the Critic said that the game is not intense. He must not have played it much.

Anyway, the worst pain was when I reached the final boss on my last life. I was sure that I was finally done after so many hours of effort. You defeat the bad guy who kidnapped your girlfriend by repeatedly jumping on his car. You're on a wide road with no other obstacles, and it keeps giving you cans of fuel, so it's not that hard. I jumped on him a few times, but then he bumped me into the wall and I died. Man, I was peeved because I was sure that I had it. But I did beat the game a couple days later with some of my sanity intact.

Another painful moment was when I was first sent back to 6-1 after losing to the final bosses in Ninja Gaiden. That's a real punch to the gut until you get better.

GameOfThrones

Postby GameOfThrones » February 20th, 2019, 11:20 am

I slipped off the bunk beds when I was a kid and jammed a bit of the bed frame up my rear. The pain was the worst I felt. Not vid game related but there it is.
I did not try walking on the frame ever again.

DrLitch

Postby DrLitch » February 22nd, 2019, 8:28 pm

GameOfThrones wrote:I slipped off the bunk beds when I was a kid and jammed a bit of the bed frame up my rear. The pain was the worst I felt. Not vid game related but there it is.
I did not try walking on the frame ever again.

Shudder to think of it.... I slipped when I stepped out the shower and banged that area on the sharp edge of the cabinet. The pain is a 9 on the 10 scale.

Herschie

Postby Herschie » February 23rd, 2019, 12:47 am

Drinking when I was 19 and hadn't quite figured out how to deal with and prevent a hangover. I wouldn't drink water before bed, wouldn't eat food, and would sleep in late. Strikes one, two, and three.

velcrozombie

Postby velcrozombie » February 23rd, 2019, 1:39 am

Video game pain would be a toss-up between losing a 1cc run of Castlevania III with the final form of Dracula at half a health bar and never managing to get back to him (I haven't even tried in 4 years - I might have to give it another go soon) or accidentally creating an unwinnable save-state on a 100+ hour campaign of Final Fantasy Tactics on a PSX emulator and having to quit after over a month of daily play.

Real-life pain was probably either a bladder infection or an infected tooth that hurt so badly I had to completely change my eating habits until it was fixed. No broken bones or major accidents despite putting myself in several situations (the last one less than three years ago) where I could have been badly hurt or worse.

ThePixelatedGenocide

Postby ThePixelatedGenocide » March 5th, 2019, 7:58 am

Physical pain? I'm not sure. I'm kind of numb to most of it, these days. You just focus on feeling it, understanding it, and separating it from the emotions attached to it, until it's gone. Or if it doesn't go away, you just let it become background noise? At least, that's how I got through mine.

But the worst part of what was done to me, wasn't that kind of pain. It was how much thought and imagination went into hurting me in every way it's possible to hurt someone. And how hard it is sometimes, to ever feel like I'm still as human as anyone else, after it all.

Fortunately, I've got friends who do their best to keep me from hiding from the world, and the love of a good woman who believes in me. And that makes me blessed, even if the road getting to this point...

Well, it was a lot like Bloody Human Freeway. You get hit. You bleed. You get hit. You bleed. Rinse and repeat. But no matter how pointless it seems, you keep moving forward, until, somehow, you make it to the other side. You score a point. And that point, no matter how small it seems, is worth celebrating. At least, metaphorically. Has anyone actually ever celebrated scoring a point in Bloody Human Highway? Actually crossing the street has way more gameplay strategy.

Anyways, that's enough about my tragedy. Let's talk about an objectively worse tragedy, instead: my worst videogame pain was when SNK killed off the Neo Geo Pocket. I mean, the system was the first time a handheld fighting game felt like an arcade experience, even if it didn't look it. And each of those sprites, and each of their cards, representing characters from all of my favorite fighting games? They had so much personality to spare, compared to the Gameboy's tiny 8-bit animation. The future looked bright...

I didn't have internet, so I didn't know the future was already the past, until I opened a magazine to see a Gameboy peeing on the grave. At the time, it felt like a gut punch. But these days, still being able to give a tiny damn about ridiculous things like that, that happened a long time ago, and probably weren't worth giving a damn about, even back then? Sometimes, it's one of the best feelings in the world.

SegaRiddle1990

Postby SegaRiddle1990 » March 5th, 2019, 1:58 pm

Not video game related, but worst pain I ever felt in my life was when I had a gallbladder surgery a year or two years ago, I forget the exact date. I had to have my gallbladder taken out and I felt like I was in Hell on Earth for the next week, not even painkillers was getting rid of all the pain. That was something I NEVER want to have to go through again...

Return to “Classic Gaming”