2019/2/20: Playstation 4: Soul Calibur VI

Let me know what you think about my reviews.
VideoGameCritic
Site Admin

2019/2/20: Playstation 4: Soul Calibur VI

Postby VideoGameCritic » February 20th, 2019, 6:22 am

Let me know what you think of this fairly scathing review.

GameOfThrones

Re: 2019/2/20: Playstation 4: Soul Calibur VI

Postby GameOfThrones » February 20th, 2019, 6:53 am

Fabulous review. The last one I really liked was on the dreamcast. There they knocked it out of the park. All of the rest of them have been underwhelming. I am not into fighting games any more. They seem so 90s now and so dated. Your review reflects this.

Why is this the case? Surely the original Battle Royale mode of games should be exciting.

Oh well there is a new Mortal Kombat out I hear...

velcrozombie

Postby velcrozombie » February 20th, 2019, 9:40 am

Shocked by the score - I listen to a podcast with some people from the fighting-game community and SCVI was looked at as a comeback of sorts, the best game in the series since SCII (the last one I played). I guess their priorities are different from yours.

Sonicx9

Postby Sonicx9 » February 20th, 2019, 9:17 pm

VideoGameCritic wrote:Let me know what you think of this fairly scathing review.

A little late critic, but regarding your review it an example of "live service games" which I can not stand as most are incomplete mess games! In fact these two videos explain it best!: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7qbbgVZObW8 and https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=i6mRRGOwQjM

And the part you said about the character models looking good by PS3 standards, that is sad when Soul Calibur VI is using the ultra advance Unreal Engine 4 should it look better or now it looks worse which makes no sense!

Man this review is a great example of why the 8th gen is so disappointing and lacking, also the reason I take Switch over the PS4 and Xbox One is simple, it more like a retro console unlike today's disasters that we have now! It not hard to see why most 8th gen console games reviewed on the site get such a low score outside of a few exceptions!

LoganRuckman

Postby LoganRuckman » February 21st, 2019, 6:30 am

GameOfThrones wrote:Fabulous review. The last one I really liked was on the dreamcast. There they knocked it out of the park. All of the rest of them have been underwhelming. I am not into fighting games any more. They seem so 90s now and so dated. Your review reflects this.

Why is this the case? Surely the original Battle Royale mode of games should be exciting.

Hold on, just hear me out: Soul Calibur II.

That game was incredible.

GameOfThrones

Postby GameOfThrones » February 21st, 2019, 10:14 am

LoganRuckman wrote:
GameOfThrones wrote:Fabulous review. The last one I really liked was on the dreamcast. There they knocked it out of the park. All of the rest of them have been underwhelming. I am not into fighting games any more. They seem so 90s now and so dated. Your review reflects this.

Cool I might have a look at that if I can get it on a games system I have. I quite like the soul calibre Soul Calibre 4 but was initially disappointed that we only had Yoda on Xbox 360. When he turned up later I did not bother with the character and stuck with Yoda.

Cafeman

Postby Cafeman » February 21st, 2019, 12:06 pm

It is a scathing review! Sounds like you did not enjoy the experience at all.

I loved SC on DC, and SC2 on GameCube, with Link, which is our favorite version. I refused to buy subsequent SC games. I recently watched a bunch of videos comparing SC2 with SC6 . The graphics are much evolved, but the gameplay does seem to be stale. Even the floors and backgrounds just aren't as nice on the eyes as back with SC2. Stale. The animation was always good and doesn't seem much different. Namco should take a page out of Dead or Alive's design book, and allow multi-tiered stages. And the weapons based fighting doesnt seem to have the real world interaction of objects that I'd expect. That was fine 15 years ago, but cant there be some fresher ideas now?

LoganRuckman

Postby LoganRuckman » February 21st, 2019, 2:06 pm

GameOfThrones wrote:
LoganRuckman wrote:

Cool I might have a look at that if I can get it on a games system I have. I quite like the soul calibre Soul Calibre 4 but was initially disappointed that we only had Yoda on Xbox 360. When he turned up later I did not bother with the character and stuck with Yoda.

SCII has a console exclusive character for each console.

GameCube- Link
PS2- Heihachi Mishima (from Tekken)
Xbox- Spawn (yes, the Todd MacFarlane comic book character.)

Soul Calibur II is also the only game in the series to feature Necrid, another Todd MacFarlane creation, created specifically for the game. He's in all three versions and he's possibly my favorite SC character.

noah98

Postby noah98 » February 22nd, 2019, 8:19 am

Soul Calibur I and II were excellent games. The series sort of went downhill from there. For me, it's about what VI has new to offer. It doesn't seem like much, other than a character creator. I used to be a huge fighting game fan, but then the market got satured, and I got older, and no longer have the ability to play competitively. The nail in the coffin for me was dlc characters. I think a fighting game should only have cosmetic dlc. I should have the full roster at launch.

I got burned by Street Fighter V, which was about as bare bones as a game could be at launch. I hate the new graphics too. Then I bought Tekken 7, and again was completely underwhelmed. I've learned my lesson and will pass on Soul Calibur.

I absoultely loved Mortal Kombat X (it actually had next gen graphics), but I was smart and knew they would eventually release a complete version of it. I had to wait a year, but at least my copy of XL has every character on the disc. I did the same with Injustice 2. It sucked waiting a year after release, but at least I own the whole game, not just part of it (with the exception of course of the updates). The great thing about those two games is that they both have an excellent story mode. Why can't Namco and Capcom figure that out?

I'll eventually buy the new Mortal Kombat game as well when it ofers a complete edition. I'll probably have to pass on the new DOA though. Doesn't look like it does much new to get excited over.

DrLitch

Postby DrLitch » February 22nd, 2019, 8:17 pm

Great review, you were maybe a little rough on it. C+/B- material. Mediocre to quite good. I have played far worse fighting games in my life. Put this way, Soul Calibur VI is no worse than Tekken 7 or Dead or Alive V or Street Fighter V for that matter.

Return to “Review Feedback”