I feel like I'm the only one who is not into Pokemon

General and high profile video game topics.
CharlieR

I feel like I'm the only one who is not into Pokemon

Postby CharlieR » February 27th, 2019, 3:23 pm

There’s a lot of talk about Pokemon lately, with two new switch games being announced. It is also the 23rd anniversary of the series. I’ve never played a main series Pokemon game. I’ve played various games featuring Pokemon characters, like Pokemon Stadium, and Pokemon Puzzle League. They seem like the type of games I’d enjoy. Casual, fun games where you collect and level up characters, but something about it just never looked that interesting to me.

I know I’m probably not the only one who has never gotten into pokemon, but for some reason I never have. They seem to have a huge following, and it definitely seems more accessible to a casual fan than something like Final Fantasy.

Stalvern

Re: I feel like I'm the only one who is not into Pokemon

Postby Stalvern » February 27th, 2019, 3:55 pm

Crystal Version was fun when I was a kid, but you aren't really missing out on much if you aren't interested in the first place. They're very take-it-or-leave-it games.

Paul Campbell

Postby Paul Campbell » February 27th, 2019, 4:05 pm

I could have written this post myself. I can understand the craze when it comes to the cartoon and the toys and all that stuff, that's like anything else when it comes to childhood frenzies. But the fact that it has lasted SO LONG and the games are SO BORING is really a head scratcher for me.

VideoGameCritic
Site Admin

Postby VideoGameCritic » February 27th, 2019, 5:14 pm

I've never been a big fan. I have been sitting on a DS Pokemon review for years, waiting to finish.

I feel like it's less of a game and more of a collectable thing that especially appeals to kids.

That said, I don't think the games are bad either. Just mediocre.

GTS

Postby GTS » February 27th, 2019, 5:51 pm

I too haven't been able to get into them, but I believe the games appeal to people's instincts to "collect stuff."

lynchie137

Postby lynchie137 » February 27th, 2019, 5:54 pm

CharlieR wrote:There’s a lot of talk about Pokemon lately, with two new switch games being announced. It is also the 23rd anniversary of the series. I’ve never played a main series Pokemon game. I’ve played various games featuring Pokemon characters, like Pokemon Stadium, and Pokemon Puzzle League. They seem like the type of games I’d enjoy. Casual, fun games where you collect and level up characters, but something about it just never looked that interesting to me.

I know I’m probably not the only one who has never gotten into pokemon, but for some reason I never have. They seem to have a huge following, and it definitely seems more accessible to a casual fan than something like Final Fantasy.

Hey. Don't feel bad. It hasn't been my cup of tea either. I've sat down and tried to watch the show a couple times, but I never really could get into it.

That being said, I did happen to like that Pokemon Pinball game that came out for the Game Boy Color a number of years back. But only because it was a pretty solid video pinball game and not because of the license attached to it...

mbd36

Postby mbd36 » February 27th, 2019, 6:09 pm

CharlieR wrote:There’s a lot of talk about Pokemon lately, with two new switch games being announced. It is also the 23rd anniversary of the series. I’ve never played a main series Pokemon game. I’ve played various games featuring Pokemon characters, like Pokemon Stadium, and Pokemon Puzzle League. They seem like the type of games I’d enjoy. Casual, fun games where you collect and level up characters, but something about it just never looked that interesting to me.

I'm 42 and I've never had any interest in the card game or video games. I guess I was already too old for Pokemon back in its heyday.

I have watched the show.

jon

Postby jon » February 27th, 2019, 8:52 pm

Pokémon makes Power Rangers look like street thugs.

LoganRuckman

Postby LoganRuckman » February 27th, 2019, 10:19 pm

This topic is making me feel like the only one on this forum who is into Pokemon lol. I've been a fan for around 20 years now, though I was 5 or 6 when I first got into it.

Matchstick

Postby Matchstick » February 28th, 2019, 12:43 am

I enjoyed the first games in the series, myself. Bought Pokemon Red back when it first came out because Nintendo Power couldn't stop gushing about it. I liked it enough to play through it once, but when it came to friends of mine who wanted to battle or trade monsters, I just didn't care. Glad I got to play it and see what all the fuss was about, but like a lot of other users on this board, I think I was a bit too old for it. Had I been 5 or 6, I would have probably liked it a lot more. In my case, Pokemon was definitely not the coolest game for a 16 year old to be talking about at school!

I am glad the series has been so popular, as I firmly believe it is what has kept Nintendo afloat in recent times. Specifically, I'm not sure Nintendo would have survived the Gamecube era if it weren't for Pokemon racking up the sales of GameBoy Advance units. I know the GC wasn't a total flop, and is much beloved by some out there, but at the time of its release, it just seemed like it was getting left in the dust of the PS2 and Xbox. However, the GBA didn't have much handheld competition, if any at all, and I'm sure that each new Pokemon game sold like gangbusters when they were released. I have no hard data to support this, but it was just the feeling that I got as a gamer during that era.

In my mind, Pokemon saved Nintendo's butt, period. For that, I will always respect the series, and I'm glad to see that they keep making new ones. On the other hand, I consider myself a bit of a conservationist and an animal rights advocate, and as I've gotten older, Pokemon has always struck an odd nerve with me. Kids raising monsters, just so they can battle other monsters, or battle groups of other monsters in tournaments so that their owner / master can win a prize? Sounds like some sort of G-rated Michael Vick simulator, if you ask me...

Return to “Video Games General”