2019/3/2: Genesis: Valis, Exo Squad

Let me know what you think about my reviews.
VideoGameCritic
Site Admin

2019/3/2: Genesis: Valis, Exo Squad

Postby VideoGameCritic » March 2nd, 2019, 12:34 pm

Here are two fine new Genesis reviews for you to critique.

Sonicx9

Re: 2019/3/2: Genesis: Valis, Exo Squad

Postby Sonicx9 » March 2nd, 2019, 2:14 pm

VideoGameCritic wrote:Here are two fine new Genesis reviews for you to critique.

A thing worth mentioning critic with Valis is that their are more different versions then you think for the whole franchise each with unique differences. More info at HG101.com: http://www.hardcoregaming101.net/series/valis/

It was from back in the day that different systems with a similarly named titles are the same game where unique to each other. Unlike today's games that look and play very similar shows you just how different video games where back then and now

Sonicx9

Postby Sonicx9 » March 2nd, 2019, 7:48 pm

Also in the Valis review you mentioned Gain Ground being critically acclaimed when it has a mixed rep in the west, and mind you that game is more Sega IP not Renovation/Telenet IP before Sega bought out Renovation from Telenet Japanese parent.: https://segaretro.org/Renovation_Products

ActRaiser

Postby ActRaiser » March 4th, 2019, 5:58 pm

It's a bummer E.X.O Squad as a game is a bust. The cartoon is awesome. If you've never watched it as a kid, it's still great. I re-watched the entire series in the last year or so. There were only two seasons of it before it was canceled.

Imagine a sci-fi version of the Nazi's taking over Earth and a slow and steady fight to eventually reclaim it. The Nazis in this case are bioengineered workers lead by a mad man.

You can custom order season 2 on Etsy as it was never actually released on DVD. It's a great show with permanent death for its characters. You have team members feeling the loss of their comrades in future episodes. I loved the really dark story line. As a kid it felt really mature for its themes. Today, I can see how they thematically linked everything back to WWII with how things took place. Very cool. Plus, it's got mech suits, space ships, and lots of explosions. What's not to love?

Matchstick

Postby Matchstick » March 4th, 2019, 8:40 pm

Sonicx9 wrote:It was from back in the day that different systems with a similarly named titles are the same game where unique to each other. Unlike today's games that look and play very similar shows you just how different video games where back then and now

"Seems familiar..."

Shadowrun for the Genesis / SNES is a perfect example of this. Two very different (and very good) games with the same exact name, both based on the same exact IP. Loved the SNES one as a teen, but never bothered to give the Genesis one a look, figuring they were just the same game with minor differences. I couldn't have been more wrong, and I now find I favor the Genesis version more, even with all the warm, fuzzy nostalgia feelings I have for the SNES one.

Though I will say that the "Morgue" tune from the SNES version is one of my all-time favorite videogame earworms. Was just listening to it on YouTube this morning 8-)

ActRaiser wrote:What's not to love?

And best of all, the toy line featured some repainted / repackaged figurines and vehicles from the Macross / Robotech series. Never saw EXO Squad on TV, aside from a few minutes here and there between shows, but as a huge fan of Robotech growing up, once I saw those toys in the store I had to HAVE THEM ALL!! Since the show was likely created as a means to sell toys, I find it a bit funny that, at least in my little world, the toys managed to sell themselves without needing a cartoon at all.

Sonicx9

Postby Sonicx9 » March 6th, 2019, 2:40 pm

Matchstick wrote:
Sonicx9 wrote:It was from back in the day that different systems with a similarly named titles are the same game where unique to each other. Unlike today's games that look and play very similar shows you just how different video games where back then and now

"Seems familiar..."

Shadowrun for the Genesis / SNES is a perfect example of this. Two very different (and very good) games with the same exact name, both based on the same exact IP. Loved the SNES one as a teen, but never bothered to give the Genesis one a look, figuring they were just the same game with minor differences. I couldn't have been more wrong, and I now find I favor the Genesis version more, even with all the warm, fuzzy nostalgia feelings I have for the SNES one.

Though I will say that the "Morgue" tune from the SNES version is one of my all-time favorite videogame earworms. Was just listening to it on YouTube this morning 8-)

ActRaiser wrote:What's not to love?

And best of all, the toy line featured some repainted / repackaged figurines and vehicles from the Macross / Robotech series. Never saw EXO Squad on TV, aside from a few minutes here and there between shows, but as a huge fan of Robotech growing up, once I saw those toys in the store I had to HAVE THEM ALL!! Since the show was likely created as a means to sell toys, I find it a bit funny that, at least in my little world, the toys managed to sell themselves without needing a cartoon at all.

Nothing new about toys being reskinned as related to Macross/Robotech for you Transformers fans, Jetfire G1 version toys are a reskin of Macross/Robotech figures as it was common practise to license toys to be reskinned with different brands and licenses especially if the license expired or wanted to be used for other toy lines.

And about games doing that being the same name/similar premise but different titles that was true indeed as many handheld/old gen versions back then where like that unlike today where they are way more similar.

goldenband

Postby goldenband » March 16th, 2019, 1:51 pm

I didn't think Exo-Squad was bad at all, though I agree the pseudo-3D shmup stages are poor. I enjoyed the side-scrolling segments quite a bit, though I think that depends on how much patience you have for unusual control schemes. Personally, once I got used to the controls, I thought they worked quite well.

Return to “Review Feedback”