The 55 dollar question...

General and high profile video game topics.
snakeboy

Re: The 55 dollar question...

Postby snakeboy » January 31st, 2019, 7:15 pm

Interesting to see so many votes for the C64 Mini. Is there anything you can do on the C64 Mini that can't be done on an emulator in Retropie?

noah98

Postby noah98 » February 1st, 2019, 8:22 am

I like the simplicity of the C64 mini over the Raspberry Pi. I also like being able to manipulate game settings by creating .cjm files. It's actually really easy using this online tool:

https://www.thec64minizone.com/cjm-conf ... file-tool/

zetax

Postby zetax » February 4th, 2019, 11:57 pm

Well, ended-up getting a Raspberry Pi with a case. Installed the Raspbian OS on one micro SD card, and RetroPie on another. I'm sure you could install both on one card and choose which one to boot to, but I like the separation of "business" and "fun." Runs fine, neat little computer, but haven't gotten to try any emulation due to the big ROM site pulling all of its ROMs after a Nintendo lawsuit (or something.) So, still looking for content for the little bugger...

ptdebate

Postby ptdebate » February 5th, 2019, 12:42 am

zetax wrote:Well, ended-up getting a Raspberry Pi with a case. Installed the Raspbian OS on one micro SD card, and RetroPie on another. I'm sure you could install both on one card and choose which one to boot to, but I like the separation of "business" and "fun." Runs fine, neat little computer, but haven't gotten to try any emulation due to the big ROM site pulling all of its ROMs after a Nintendo lawsuit (or something.) So, still looking for content for the little bugger...

I have a collection of NES and SNES roms I can share to you if you provide your dropbox.

zetax

Postby zetax » February 23rd, 2019, 8:43 pm

Have had some time to mess with the Pi/RetroPie. Fun little computer, amazing what it can do considering it's size and price. Plays 2600, Colecovision, C64,7800, NES, SMS, Genesis, SNES, Gameboy, GBA, and Lynx great. Jaguar emulation is pretty bad, N64 is spotty. Haven't tried Neo Geo, PS1, or MAME yet but not in a huge hurry, got lots of stuff to play.

In other news... Wally World online had PS1 Classics for 40 bucks, so I got one of those too. Slower PAL versions aren't as off-putting as I thought they'd be, probably because I'm 20% slower than I used to be... It is what it is.

zetax

Postby zetax » March 15th, 2019, 12:15 am

Apparently, I have a weird compulsion to mess with small computing devices. Got a Raspberry Pi Zero W with case (delivered today from Amazon.) Guess this changes the subject of the post to the "$26 Question"... Got it up and running with Raspbian OS. Haven't tried Retro Pie yet, but guessing it will run up-to 16 bit stuff fine. We will see... As an old dude, this sort of computer is fascinating...so small, relatively powerful, the things it can do...

newmodelarmy

Postby newmodelarmy » March 15th, 2019, 6:50 am

I got the C-64 Mini for Christmas...haven't really touched the thing. The game selection is terrible. Yes, I know you can add games but it is not that easy, most of the games you download do not work. Plus, any games that originally had multi floppy disks are a chore to get to work. Just my two cents.

noah98

Postby noah98 » March 15th, 2019, 8:07 am

newmodelarmy wrote:I got the C-64 Mini for Christmas...haven't really touched the thing. The game selection is terrible. Yes, I know you can add games but it is not that easy, most of the games you download do not work. Plus, any games that originally had multi floppy disks are a chore to get to work. Just my two cents.

That's weird because there are a ton of game packs ready to download for the C64 mini. A lot of people posted fully configured game packs with all of the major releases. The toughest thing is configuring games yourself for port 1 vs port 2 or NTSC vs Pal, but even for those there's a handy online tool.

I also got a Playstation Classic Mini for $40. Stock, it's still terrible. With a low profile, 64gb Sandisk Cruzer flash drive ($12 on Amazon) and Autobleem + Retroarch it's totally worth it. Still has some bugs but lots of fun once you get everything configured right.

zetax

Postby zetax » May 30th, 2019, 9:49 pm

Best Buy has (had?) C64 Minis for 30 bucks, now the circle is complete. I should've known I'd end up getting all three... :D

zetax

Postby zetax » May 31st, 2019, 12:02 am

Yikes! That C64 controller is a turd! Is it an accurate representation of a Commodore controller? I don't even remember Commodore making a controller... Gonna try my assorted USB controllers before passing final judgement.

Return to “Video Games General”