Lemmings (SNES)

Tell us about games you are currently playing. "Quick hit" reviews.
VideoGameCritic
Site Admin

Lemmings (SNES)

Postby VideoGameCritic » October 8th, 2016, 6:52 pm

I remember playing this on the PC in the 90's. The idea of multitasking was really novel back then. Lemmings is still a challenge today, but the SNES doesn't seem to be an ideal platform for this. This game really wants mouse control.

And boy does that music get on my nerves!

Herschie

Re: Lemmings (SNES)

Postby Herschie » October 8th, 2016, 9:02 pm

VideoGameCritic wrote:
And boy does that music get on my nerves!

Really? I used to play this on the Game Gear, and I always liked the music. You'd think it would be better on SNES. But I do have a rather questionable taste in music, so maybe it's just me.

tortimer

Postby tortimer » October 9th, 2016, 12:09 pm

VideoGameCritic wrote:the SNES doesn't seem to be an ideal platform for this

So true. Same memories here from the 90s on DOS. I can't believe we haven't seen a 3DS port. Stylus control is about the most perfect interface I can imagine for this game.

Retro STrife

Postby Retro STrife » October 11th, 2016, 11:02 am

I played this a lot on the PC in the 90's too. I can't imagine playing it without a mouse. It's a long shot, but by chance, does it support the Mario Paint mouse?

Rookie1

Postby Rookie1 » October 11th, 2016, 12:33 pm

Does it not support the SNES Mouse? I just assumed it did.

I played it on game gear as well, and enjoyed that version. I could get pretty far without any difficulty.

Retro STrife

Postby Retro STrife » March 15th, 2019, 10:26 am

I played Lemmings last night on the Philips CD-i, using the CD-i mouse. This is the first time I've played Lemmings since the 90s on my PC... but the graphics and gameplay are just like I remember. And, to my knowledge, the CD-i version is the only console version of Lemmings with mouse support (although the 3DO might be another). For that reason, it's probably safe to say that the CD-i has one of the definitive console version.

The only problem is the price of that setup. Lemmings for CD-i sells for about $20-$30. And the CD-i mouse sells for at least $50-$75. However, I highly recommend the CD-i mouse for anyone that still plays the system. I just got mine recently, and I wish I bought it 15 years ago. So many games control better with it. You can use it for any game -- including all light gun games! That's an added bonus for me, because I don't feel like spending $75 on the Peacekeeper light gun.

SpiceWare

Postby SpiceWare » March 19th, 2019, 10:06 am

I loved the two-player mode in the original Lemmings, used to play it at Amiga gatherings here in Houston. Screen was split in half and both players used a mouse.

Didn't know the Atari ST supported 2 player mode as well, though the 2nd player had to use a joystick.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VAedz3nWn9E

Retro STrife

Postby Retro STrife » March 25th, 2019, 10:51 am

Has anyone ever played Troddlers for SNES? Supposedly it's very similar to Lemmings, and some people say it's even better. Seems pretty obscure - I had never heard of the game before, but I found it in a stack of games at a game convention this past weekend. When I found it, I checked online for reviews and several retro reviewers called it a real hidden gem on the system. So I ended up buying it for about $10. Haven't played it yet, but it will work with the SNES mouse.

Retro STrife wrote:I highly recommend the CD-i mouse ... You can use it for any game -- including all light gun games! That's an added bonus for me, because I don't feel like spending $75 on the Peacekeeper light gun.

Apparently I'm a moron... mere days after saying this, I found a Peacekeeper gun for CD-i in my closet. Still, I highly recommend the mouse -- it's slightly cheaper than the gun, works with more games, and you don't have to worry about using a CRT TV.

Herschie

Postby Herschie » May 22nd, 2022, 10:08 pm

I just started playing this on the Master System. Not a bad game but too much waiting. I remember as a kid I had it for the battery-guzzling Game Gear and it wasn't ideal for that.

Return to “Now Playing”