Atari VCS in trouble!

General and high profile video game topics.
Sonicx9

Atari VCS in trouble!

Postby Sonicx9 » March 20th, 2019, 9:02 pm

https://www.slashgear.com/atari-vcs-con ... -18570189/

A little late, but it delayed to an undisclosed late 2019 release date.

This device is Dead on Arrival!

VideoGameCritic
Site Admin

Re: Atari VCS in trouble!

Postby VideoGameCritic » March 20th, 2019, 11:06 pm

I feel like this project has no direction. It's like the Jaguar all over again.
Except this time I don't think any one is even going to pay attention.
And this is coming from the biggest Atari fan.

Sonicx9

Postby Sonicx9 » March 20th, 2019, 11:47 pm

VideoGameCritic wrote:I feel like this project has no direction. It's like the Jaguar all over again.

It going to crash and burn!

mbd36

Postby mbd36 » March 21st, 2019, 2:01 pm

VideoGameCritic wrote:I feel like this project has no direction. It's like the Jaguar all over again.

Worse than the Jaguar. At least there were Jaguar exclusives. Have any games been announced for the VCS that you can't already play on something else?

Or I could say that it's worse than the Jaguar because that was actually released.

BanjoPickles

Postby BanjoPickles » March 21st, 2019, 10:41 pm

This isn’t Atari. This is a small company that somehow owns the name. The true spirit of Atari has been gone for a very long time, and it isn’t coming back.

VCS is the most pointless thing I’ve seen since the Gizmondo. It has no reason for being, and it is going to be wiped out immediately by the competition. In the 1970’s, they WERE the business, but they had a tough go competing against rivals who were relatively small compared to the mammoths of today. Sony, Microsoft, Nintendo, PC, and mobile already have the market completely cornered. You can also buy Atari compilations on all three. Also, what small developer is going to want to put their top flight idea on Atari’s Kickstarter experiment when they could find greater guaranteed success on Switch?

Everything about this console is firmly rooted in the past, and not in a good way.

Sonicx9

Postby Sonicx9 » March 22nd, 2019, 1:35 am

BanjoPickles wrote:This isn’t Atari. This is a small company that somehow owns the name. The true spirit of Atari has been gone for a very long time, and it isn’t coming back.

VCS is the most pointless thing I’ve seen since the Gizmondo. It has no reason for being, and it is going to be wiped out immediately by the competition. In the 1970’s, they WERE the business, but they had a tough go competing against rivals who were relatively small compared to the mammoths of today. Sony, Microsoft, Nintendo, PC, and mobile already have the market completely cornered. You can also buy Atari compilations on all three. Also, what small developer is going to want to put their top flight idea on Atari’s Kickstarter experiment when they could find greater guaranteed success on Switch?

Everything about this console is firmly rooted in the past, and not in a good way.

The company that own the Atari brand is Infogrames thanks to buying Hasbro Interactive back in 2001. And rebranded as Atari for brand reasons. But in the mid to late 2000's decade to the present moment they went into financial troubles and never recovered. And mind you they only have around 9 million in the bank which is not enough to release a brand new system. And yes the console is pointless and is going to flop hardcore. And you are right you can buy Atari collections on modern systems such as the Nintendo Switch and is a far better deal then buying this snakeoil console.

My plan is to buy the Atari Flashback Classics on Switch just to protest the Atari VCS and will do a protest campaign near the system release just to tell people not to give money to the scam console.

txsizzler

Postby txsizzler » March 22nd, 2019, 7:46 am

Well, even though I feel this system isn't worth it, the purported delay is due to using a much stronger AMD GPU/CPU chipset, that will allow for 4k gaming. IF true, and it does actually happen, the $239 asking price for the base setup won't be bad at all. But, that is a big IF. I, for one, am not holding my breath.

Sonicx9

Postby Sonicx9 » March 22nd, 2019, 11:28 am

txsizzler wrote:Well, even though I feel this system isn't worth it, the purported delay is due to using a much stronger AMD GPU/CPU chipset, that will allow for 4k gaming. IF true, and it does actually happen, the $239 asking price for the base setup won't be bad at all. But, that is a big IF. I, for one, am not holding my breath.

I am not holding my breath either as I think this system along with Google Stadia are both going to fail as neither look promising and are both hard passes for me.

ThePixelatedGenocide

Postby ThePixelatedGenocide » March 22nd, 2019, 11:34 am

At this point, they should just create a voxel emulator for all their old games, go insane with the particle lighting and rave effects, and then pay for a killer soundtrack. And then bring back the Jaguar CD's audio visualizer.

They could even call it 'Jeff Minter's Acid Flashback.'

Because everyone associates the Atari name with two things: Pixel fireworks and failure. If they're not giving us deadly Christmas lights, they're usually thinking up new ideas for the Angry Videogame Nerd. Whenever there's a decent post 2600 game with an Atari logo attached, people are like: "Wait, Atari made this?!". It's a timeless gaming tradition that hasn't changed in over 30 years.

They might as well embrace it.

Sonicx9

Postby Sonicx9 » March 22nd, 2019, 1:44 pm

ThePixelatedGenocide wrote:At this point, they should just create a voxel emulator for all their old games, go insane with the particle lighting and rave effects, and then pay for a killer soundtrack. And then bring back the Jaguar CD's audio visualizer.

They could even call it 'Jeff Minter's Acid Flashback.'

Because everyone associates the Atari name with two things: Pixel fireworks and failure. If they're not giving us deadly Christmas lights, they're usually thinking up new ideas for the Angry Videogame Nerd. Whenever there's a decent post 2600 game with an Atari logo attached, people are like: "Wait, Atari made this?!". It's a timeless gaming tradition that hasn't changed in over 30 years.

They might as well embrace it.

That would have been a far better idea then scamming with crowdfunding and taking forever only to never come out or flop at the rate it is going.

Return to “Video Games General”