Atari Flashback (Switch)

Tell us about games you are currently playing. "Quick hit" reviews.
VideoGameCritic
Site Admin

Atari Flashback (Switch)

Postby VideoGameCritic » March 24th, 2019, 10:00 pm

If any of you are sad by the lack of arcade compilations (like me) don't hesitate to pick up Atari Flashback for the Nintendo Switch. It contains the entire contents of Atari Flashback Vol. 1-3 previously released for the PS4.

There are 150 (!) games from the arcade, Atari 2600, and Atari 5200. Both big names, obscure titles, and everything in between. There are no Activision/Imagic games for the 2600, but it does contain the M-Network catalog.

Having this little cartridge is like having your own classic game collection for $40. Buy it!!

Sonicx9

Re: Atari Flashback (Switch)

Postby Sonicx9 » March 24th, 2019, 10:44 pm

VideoGameCritic wrote:If any of you are sad by the lack of arcade compilations (like me) don't hesitate to pick up Atari Flashback for the Nintendo Switch. It contains the entire contents of Atari Flashback Vol. 1-3 previously released for the PS4.

There are 150 (!) games from the arcade, Atari 2600, and Atari 5200. Both big names, obscure titles, and everything in between. There are no Activision/Imagic games for the 2600, but it does contain the M-Network catalog.

Having this little cartridge is like having your own classic game collection for $40. Buy it!!

A better Atari VCS then the snake oil scam console coming in 2019! My advice for everyone is to avoid the upcoming Atari VCS system and buy this instead as it not only a better value, but the Switch cart has 150 Atari games vs Atari VCS console only having around 100 Atari games.: https://www.indiegogo.com/projects/atar ... r-before#/ lol!

snakeboy

Postby snakeboy » March 29th, 2019, 10:45 am

Dave, where did you get your copy of this? The only place that I can find it at MSRP is the Gamestop website. I don't love buying stuff from Gamestop to begin with, and they want to charge me $6 for "value" shipping (it doesn't seem to be available at any nearby stores).

VideoGameCritic
Site Admin

Postby VideoGameCritic » March 29th, 2019, 3:39 pm

I ordered it from Gamestop.

snakeboy

Postby snakeboy » March 29th, 2019, 4:03 pm

VideoGameCritic wrote:I ordered it from Gamestop.

That's what I figured. And after checking their website again, I noticed they had a copy at a store near my wife's work so she will picking it up for me after work.

I called the store, and they confirmed my fear it was a "new" copy which was removed from the shrink wrap. Considering the game is going for $60 - 75 on eBay, I reluctantly decided to get it anyway.

lynchie137

Postby lynchie137 » March 29th, 2019, 5:47 pm

Atari 2600 and 5200 games on the same compilation??? Yes, please!!!! And hopefully, when the next round of Flashback consoles hit the street (both portable and plug and play), they'll follow suit and do the same. And also I hope that they also put a bunch of 7800 games on there as well...

VideoGameCritic
Site Admin

Postby VideoGameCritic » March 29th, 2019, 6:33 pm

Snakeboy - get it anyway. Mine arrived shipped out of the shrink wrap too, but appeared to be new. Sometimes I think GameStop only ships a single copy of certain games per store, so they open it for display.

I have a feeling this will be a collector's item. I also ordered Atari Flashback Vol 3 (PS4) at the same time, which I think will also be rare.

Sonicx9

Postby Sonicx9 » March 29th, 2019, 9:54 pm

VideoGameCritic wrote:Snakeboy - get it anyway. Mine arrived shipped out of the shrink wrap too, but appeared to be new. Sometimes I think GameStop only ships a single copy of certain games per store, so they open it for display.

I have a feeling this will be a collector's item. I also ordered Atari Flashback Vol 3 (PS4) at the same time, which I think will also be rare.

I plan to pick this up on Switch near the release of the Atari VCS console if it even comes out?

Also critic I have plans to create a grassroots movement to protest the Atari VCS with the Atari Flashback on Switch, because if people buy this over the VCS. It will send a message to Atari Snake Oil scam console because I want this to be successful not this Atari VCS console.

VideoGameCritic
Site Admin

Postby VideoGameCritic » March 30th, 2019, 1:33 pm

With the bulk of Atari's library available on budget releases, I hardly see the purpose of this VCS system. I doubt it will ever see the light of day.

Sonicx9

Postby Sonicx9 » March 30th, 2019, 2:46 pm

VideoGameCritic wrote:With the bulk of Atari's library available on budget releases, I hardly see the purpose of this VCS system. I doubt it will ever see the light of day.

A fantastic point indeed, in fact the Atari Vault on the Atari VCS console only has 100 games, yet the Switch one has 150 games which is 50 games more, a better value, and also the VCS cost around $239 to $329 range with less Atari classics and giving you so much less for more. This device is a dumpster fire at this point.

Return to “Now Playing”