What made you love video games?

General and high profile video game topics.
VideoGameCritic
Site Admin

What made you love video games?

Postby VideoGameCritic » March 23rd, 2019, 2:41 pm

For many years I've been considering writing an article about why I love video games so much. I think I could name about a dozen good reasons.

But what got my originally hooked was the fact that I could play them by myself. I always enjoyed board games but was bummed that I always needed other kids to enjoy them.

I was kind of a solitary kid and the idea that I could entertain myself in my own little world was very appealing. I still really appreciate that aspect of the hobby.

So what was it that originally hooked YOU into video games?

jon

Re: What made you love video games?

Postby jon » March 25th, 2019, 10:00 am

One of my first memories was when and we got an NES. This was literally right when all those great games came out. My dad and brother came home at like 9:00 in the morning when I woke up. We had Super Mario Bros. I think first memories are everything first impressions. Then getting games at Toys R Us from that room was amazing you had to be there. Then the baseball games were the perfect games to play at sleepovers at a friends house

PAAGaming

Postby PAAGaming » March 27th, 2019, 2:40 am

I think for me it was a combination of being fascinated by the strange console designs of the time, (Atari XEGS etc) and never having seen anything like it before. I hadn’t even played a console or computer by that point. I think all I’d seen was Astroids in the arcade and something like Game and Watch maybe (not sure about release dates).

Also, the idea of exploring an unknown world appealed to me. This is why games like Pitfall 2 were the ones I’d play the most. I almost preferred the basic Atari 2600 graphics as they left the most room for imagination.

CaptainCruch

Postby CaptainCruch » March 29th, 2019, 3:30 am

Books and movies have always been a good way for me to emerge in another world and forget the 'sorrows' of the real one. Video games added another way to emerge in other worlds, but this time they were interactive!

LoganRuckman

Postby LoganRuckman » April 18th, 2019, 3:02 pm

I've been playing video games for as long as I could remember, but playing Super Mario 64 for the first time blew my mind. The large levels they gave you to explore and the freedom you were offered rather than "get to the end" sidescrolling levels was a huge leap forward for five year old me.

Return to “Video Games General”