Super Mario Land (GB)

Tell us about games you are currently playing. "Quick hit" reviews.
CaptainCruch

Super Mario Land (GB)

Postby CaptainCruch » March 29th, 2019, 3:34 am

I just replayed Super Mario Land for original Game Boy on 3DS Virtual Console, and I forgot how much I liked this game! It's so easy accessible and charming it gave me a warm nostalgic feeling. (And it's very short so you can even finish it in one sitting). Anyone else has great memories of this game?

Buttermancan

Re: Super Mario Land (GB)

Postby Buttermancan » March 31st, 2019, 8:24 pm

I played and completed it about two years ago and really enjoyed it. Personally I think it's a classic. The graphics are simple and charming, the music is iconic and catchy and the gameplay is still fun to this day. Though somewhat on the easy side it'd be a great title for young kids to try (graphics might not be enough for them).

LoganRuckman

Postby LoganRuckman » May 8th, 2019, 1:46 am

I really like this game. It's fairly simplistic, but still yet another great Mario platformer.

However, the sequel, 6 Golden Coins, is even better! With a world map that contains a bunch of levels, large variety of powerups, great level design, and really good graphics and music for a GB game, this is a fully fleshed handheld Mario experience that can legitimately hang with some of the big dogs of the time, namely Super Mario Bros. 3 and Super Mario World. Yes, it's that good. It's not merely a great handheld Mario, but a great Mario game, period.

lynchie137

Postby lynchie137 » May 15th, 2019, 1:08 pm

This game is criminally underrated imho. Now, I don't know if this is because a Game Boy game. But to me, it more than holds it's own when compared to the 8 bit SMB games that were released on the NES around the same time...

Buttermancan

Postby Buttermancan » May 23rd, 2019, 6:27 am

@lynchie137 Though similar to the original Super Mario Bros on the nes they're different enough to warrant experiencing and owning both. Perhaps that was Nintendo's plan. Give Nes owners their favourite game to play on the go but have it different enough to warrant a purchase! I'm yet to play Super Mario Land 2 or Super Mario Bros 3 but that's cos here in England the MasterSystem was more popular than the NES but everyone had a Gameboy

Alucard1191

Postby Alucard1191 » May 23rd, 2019, 3:58 pm

I too have really fond memories of this game, was one of the few I owned on the Gameboy for the few years I had it as a kid. (I wonder what ever happened to it? I don't remember getting rid of it, it just... vanished. Probably my mom gave it to Goodwill without my knowledge. She was like that.) Between that, Wario Land, and Metroid 2 my gameboy actually got a lot of hours on it when I was younger, but I really don't view the system in general with the warm nostalgia glasses that I have with the NES, SNES, and Genesis. I wonder why that is?

I should probably try some of these old games emulated. I do remember Mario Land and Wario Land to be both very, very good.

MSR1701

Postby MSR1701 » May 23rd, 2019, 5:40 pm

Mario Land is a good game, and is worth remembering for more than just the awesome soundtrack.

Mario Land 2 was a good game, but I have to say that Mario Land 3 is my favorite of the "trilogy," though many forget that Super Mario Land 3 - Wario Land exists, as it was quickly overshadowed by Wario Land II and 3...

Return to “Now Playing”