Proof that bad word of mouth for video game censorship does not hurt sales for games.

General and high profile video game topics.
Sonicx9

Proof that bad word of mouth for video game censorship does not hurt sales for games.

Postby Sonicx9 » March 27th, 2019, 12:03 pm

Because recently Dead or Alive Xtreme 3: Scarlet on PS4 sells better then Switch despite censorship controversy on the PS4 version.: https://gematsu.com/2019/03/media-creat ... 19-3-24-19 For those that are living under a rock lately, Sony PlayStation has been doing lots of video game censorship even on games only released in Japan/Asia/Korea markets. And why may you ask it because Sony PlayStation moved from Japan to California HQ because of the PS4 sales success in the west compared to Japan.

And recently they want to do global censorship on most games even if no plans for a english western localization. It been getting lots of flack and many are now boycotting Sony to either PC/Switch and even Xbox to a lesser degree. But the big catch is Nintendo Switch which is more family friendly is doing far less censorship then PlayStation witch is a huge 180 change for both of them.

If you want more info on this situation here is a link about it.: https://www.oneangrygamer.net/sony-ps4- ... red-games/ NSFW link.

This shows more reasons why Nintendo Switch is better then PS4, take that!

ThePixelatedGenocide

Re: Proof that bad word of mouth for video game censorship does not hurt sales for games.

Postby ThePixelatedGenocide » March 30th, 2019, 2:48 am

Sony had the only censored version of BMXXX.

They're just being consistent in their bad habit of wildly inconsistent censorship. It has nothing to do with a move to America.

Sonicx9

Re: Proof that bad word of mouth for video game censorship does not hurt sales for games.

Postby Sonicx9 » March 30th, 2019, 1:20 pm

ThePixelatedGenocide wrote:Sony had the only censored version of BMXXX.

They're just being consistent in their bad habit of wildly inconsistent censorship. It has nothing to do with a move to America.

For BMX XXX US PS2 yes, EU no.

As for others, they say it because of Global Standards even if games have zero plans for a English release which makes zero sense. It also makes less sense they are doing more censorship then Nintendo of all companies as before they where more for it. Now the tides have changed. Because ever sense the Switch launch, you do not see nearly as many stories like this save for a few examples more do to CERO the Japanese age rating system then Nintendo.: http://www.oneangrygamer.net/2019/03/su ... 80541/amp/

Man glad I Switched from Sony to Nintendo as the Switch is better then the PS4.

DrLitch

Postby DrLitch » March 30th, 2019, 3:21 pm

Nobody is boycotting Sony.

One can abide by the principle "if you do not like something you simply will not buy it", another may abide by principle of "if you do not like something, not only will you not buy it, you will demand it be banned so nobody else can buy it". Sony, like all big corporations, are acutely aware of trends/trending topics. If most consumers are offended by a game's "depiction of females" or it's lack of "minority group representation" and so on, then Sony will forge corporate policy that reflects that sentiment.

I remember an article and poll from a while back where the majority that participated, to the tune of approximately 60%, lended support towards the concept that Dead or Alive be canned or toned down. When social media/public opinion strongly bulwarks all forms of "art or content" that appeals to various patriarchal stereotypes (i.e. scantily clad warrior females or damsel's in distress and so on), Sony will play the percentages. No negative information is good information.

It does not take much to spark the propagation of negative information - usually just one person with some followers, decides does not like something, posts topic, and like moth to flame.... It is not impossible one day we see a #BoycottNintendo hashtag trending on all social media outlets (with every virtue signaler scrambling towards the top to get as many upvotes as possible). Psychological warfare and bad PR, Company bends knee....

C64_Critic

Postby C64_Critic » March 30th, 2019, 5:13 pm

Hey Sonicx9, you didn't happen to previously post to this website as either Steer or Segatarious by any chance did you!?

Sonicx9

Postby Sonicx9 » March 30th, 2019, 7:50 pm

DrLitch wrote:Nobody is boycotting Sony.

One can abide by the principle "if you do not like something you simply will not buy it", another may abide by principle of "if you do not like something, not only will you not buy it, you will demand it be banned so nobody else can buy it". Sony, like all big corporations, are acutely aware of trends/trending topics. If most consumers are offended by a game's "depiction of females" or it's lack of "minority group representation" and so on, then Sony will forge corporate policy that reflects that sentiment.

I remember an article and poll from a while back where the majority that participated, to the tune of approximately 60%, lended support towards the concept that Dead or Alive be canned or toned down. When social media/public opinion strongly bulwarks all forms of "art or content" that appeals to various patriarchal stereotypes (i.e. scantily clad warrior females or damsel's in distress and so on), Sony will play the percentages. No negative information is good information.

It does not take much to spark the propagation of negative information - usually just one person with some followers, decides does not like something, posts topic, and like moth to flame.... It is not impossible one day we see a #BoycottNintendo hashtag trending on all social media outlets (with every virtue signaler scrambling towards the top to get as many upvotes as possible). Psychological warfare and bad PR, Company bends knee....

The thing is ssocial media loves to complain on things like Gamefaqs, Reddit, Twitter, Facebook, YouTube, etc. Only to see the sales do better on the censored version vs the uncensored version shows that complaining means nothing. And the people that love to complain or Anti SJW people that hate what goes on only for more problems to happen.

Is it me or is the internet to pessimistic?

Sonicx9

Postby Sonicx9 » March 30th, 2019, 7:51 pm

C64_Critic wrote:Hey Sonicx9, you didn't happen to previously post to this website as either Steer or Segatarious by any chance did you!?

No, not related to either of them.

DrLitch

Postby DrLitch » March 31st, 2019, 7:16 pm

Sonicx9 wrote:The thing is ssocial media loves to complain on things like Gamefaqs, Reddit, Twitter, Facebook, YouTube, etc.
Is it me or is the internet to pessimistic?

Certain sites are a cesspool of people embracing their neuroses online, desperate for attention. The upvote/downvote button, in my opinion,has proved to be the biggest disservice to the propagation of information and online discussion. Mob rules apply, some opinions get drowned out by one click of a button, other opinions can propagate by one click of a button. Post the wrong opinion, you get downvoted. Right opinion? Upvotes depend on which popular reply you attached your post on [or you were one of the first posts (with an agreeable opinion of course)]. I appreciate that the Critic has not included this on his site, none of us should have any reason to seek virtue signalling points or give a false opinion (one we do not necessarily believe in) to obtain them.

Sonicx9

Postby Sonicx9 » April 1st, 2019, 1:15 am

DrLitch wrote:Certain sites are a cesspool of people embracing their neuroses online, desperate for attention. The upvote/downvote button, in my opinion,has proved to be the biggest disservice to the propagation of information and online discussion. Mob rules apply, some opinions get drowned out by one click of a button, other opinions can propagate by one click of a button. Post the wrong opinion, you get downvoted. Right opinion? Upvotes depend on which popular reply you attached your post on [or you were one of the first posts (with an agreeable opinion of course)]. I appreciate that the Critic has not included this on his site, none of us should have any reason to seek virtue signalling points or give a false opinion (one we do not necessarily believe in) to obtain them.

It does seem that the internet has a big cesspool community based on what I see and the upvote/downvote button does not help at all.

Return to “Video Games General”