Atari Flashback (Switch)

Tell us about games you are currently playing. "Quick hit" reviews.
snakeboy

Re: Atari Flashback (Switch)

Postby snakeboy » March 31st, 2019, 10:21 am

VideoGameCritic wrote:Snakeboy - get it anyway. Mine arrived shipped out of the shrink wrap too, but appeared to be new. Sometimes I think GameStop only ships a single copy of certain games per store, so they open it for display.

I have a feeling this will be a collector's item. I also ordered Atari Flashback Vol 3 (PS4) at the same time, which I think will also be rare.

I did end up getting it. I figured I would have immediately taken it out of the shrink wrap anyway to play it, and $40 for a like new copy of a game with 150 classic Atari games is still a pretty darn good deal.

I actually already have all 3 volumes on PS4, but I love the idea of having all the games on one cart and being able to play them on a handheld is pretty sweet.

Sonicx9

Postby Sonicx9 » March 31st, 2019, 4:17 pm

snakeboy wrote:
VideoGameCritic wrote:Snakeboy - get it anyway. Mine arrived shipped out of the shrink wrap too, but appeared to be new. Sometimes I think GameStop only ships a single copy of certain games per store, so they open it for display.

I have a feeling this will be a collector's item. I also ordered Atari Flashback Vol 3 (PS4) at the same time, which I think will also be rare.

I did end up getting it. I figured I would have immediately taken it out of the shrink wrap anyway to play it, and $40 for a like new copy of a game with 150 classic Atari games is still a pretty darn good deal.

I actually already have all 3 volumes on PS4, but I love the idea of having all the games on one cart and being able to play them on a handheld is pretty sweet.

This is still a far better deal then buying the Atari VCS console, that if it comes out!

Atariboy

Postby Atariboy » March 31st, 2019, 4:31 pm

My copy of Volume 3 arrived opened for the PS4 weeks ago as well. I figured it was due to what I read at another forum about GameStop locations only getting a single copy. I suspect my online order triggered a random GameStop location to take their display copy off the shelf to send to me.

I hope the Switch version defies the odds and stays available for a while. I'm not a Switch owner and after buying Axiom Verge for the Wii U a few days ago, I'm in no rush to buy another $40 game. But I'd love to have this collection ready to go for when the day comes that I do buy a Switch.

For those that did buy this, how do the keypad games perform on the Switch in handheld form? I assume the buttons used for each game are laid out on the screen with their functions labeled, with touch inputs enabled? Should be a much more intuitive, playable, and enjoyable experience for such games than over on the PS4.

VideoGameCritic
Site Admin

Postby VideoGameCritic » March 31st, 2019, 7:55 pm

The keypad support may be the achilles heel of the collection. They run the buttons down the left side. It's really counter intuitive.

Sonicx9

Postby Sonicx9 » March 31st, 2019, 8:51 pm

Atariboy wrote:
I hope the Switch version defies the odds and stays available for a while. I'm not a Switch owner and after buying Axiom Verge for the Wii U a few days ago, I'm in no rush to buy another $40 game. But I'd love to have this collection ready to go for when the day comes that I do buy a Switch.

Hope it staya available around the Atari VCS console release so I can set up a protest movement on the internet. And the best time to get jt is near the console to send a message of do not buy the Atari VCS!

ThePixelatedGenocide

Postby ThePixelatedGenocide » April 1st, 2019, 5:49 am

Just to note: If you're still on the fence about this, the Vita version is half the price of the Switch version.

Sonicx9

Postby Sonicx9 » April 1st, 2019, 11:45 am

ThePixelatedGenocide wrote:Just to note: If you're still on the fence about this, the Vita version is half the price of the Switch version.

But the Vita version caviout is it digital only with no limited run version available as of the time of writing. So pick your poison physical and more expensive, or cheaper digital only.

Return to “Now Playing”