Gamestop posts massive losses

General and high profile video game topics.
VideoGameCritic
Site Admin

Gamestop posts massive losses

Postby VideoGameCritic » April 3rd, 2019, 8:36 pm

Looks like GameStop is not doing very well, with pre-owned games sales falling fast.

https://arstechnica.com/gaming/2019/04/ ... s-plummet/

As a collector I don't normally frequent Gamestop. However, for a kid with a gift card it can be a pretty cool place to get some older games at a low price. So I have mixed feelings of the prospect of the chain closing.

Some say this portends the end of physical media. I'm not so sure about that. Considering all the other places you can get physical games (especially online) I don't think Gamestop carries much weight any more.

As much as the industry is pushing digital downloads, most gamers still prefer physical. Giving up the ownership of your games is a huge win for the industry and a huge loss for the consumer.

I noticed in the comments of this article someone suggested physical media could become the "vinyl" of the future. That's kind of an interesting notion.

Thoughts?

Herschie

Re: Gamestop posts massive losses

Postby Herschie » April 4th, 2019, 1:17 am

VideoGameCritic wrote:As much as the industry is pushing digital downloads, most gamers still prefer physical. Giving up the ownership of your games is a huge win for the industry and a huge loss for the consumer.

No way, I completely prefer digital. I'm running out of shelf space to store the games, and I like being able to push the PS button and start a new game. The only reason I do physical on the Switch is because of the limited storage space. But on the PS4 Pro, I go digital all the way.

My wife and I stopped into a Gamestop this evening. Actually, I insisted on going to the mall because of Sbarro, but the Gamestop wasn't far. Let me tell you, my diet only lasts as long as it takes for me to pass a Sbarro. I. Love. Sbarro!

Anyway, after eating my pizza, we went into Gamestop, and walked out after like a minute. There just isn't anything there that interested me. I only have so much time for so many games, and I can't get enough of MLB The Show. Plus my stomach was starting to hurt because of the Sbarro. Totally worth it though!

Now, Funcoland. They had it right! I loved how they would let you play the games first before buying them. It was much friendlier, and they didn't seem to be all about squeezing every last dime out of you.

Retro STrife

Postby Retro STrife » April 4th, 2019, 8:52 am

I wonder how the game publishers feel about GameStop -- do they hate them because the sale of used games takes away from the sale of new games? Or do they like them because they push new game sales and provide free advertising for games? My guess is the latter. If that's the case, then I think losing GameStop could be a huge blow to physical media. Part of the reason that publishers will keep physical media is to keep their retailers happy (who cares about the consumer, right?) - and no retailer depends more on physical media than GameStop.

Personally I'm not a big fan of GameStop. I'll browse the store quickly if I'm in a mall, but Amazon and ebay are always a better deal and have games in better condition (without stickers all over the box, missing manuals, etc.). Mostly, I only buy from GameStop for really cheap games (where it isn't worth the price of shipping), or some of their good deals around Christmas, and, of course, to renew my yearly Game Informer subscription. I dislike most of their policies, the low trade-in prices that they rip people off with, the fact that they sell open games as new, the fact that they throw away DS and 3DS game boxes because it takes up too much shelf space, etc etc etc... But I still would hate to see the stores go, because I think they're important to the industry.

Tron

Postby Tron » April 4th, 2019, 12:41 pm

Sorry VGC, but I think you’re way too optimistic on this. GameStop losing money closes stores and less accessibility to physical games will strengthen digital distribution.

I don’t have any inside scoop on the gaming industry, but the way I see it video game makers HATE GameStop. They can’t stand second-hand sales and are doing everything they can to go all digital. Free advertising means so very little.

To me this is just one more step towards the enevitable future of digital only.

lynchie137

Postby lynchie137 » April 6th, 2019, 6:43 pm

VideoGameCritic wrote: I noticed in the comments of this article someone suggested physical media could become the "vinyl" of the future. That's kind of an interesting notion.

Thoughts?

Well, to me, it already is the vinyl of the future. Because going by how much people are charging for vintage games and consoles either online or at second hand game stores these days, collecting old video games is becoming as expensive a hobby as collecting old vinyl records. Especially if one is trying to find really rare and hard to find pieces to add to their collection...

Herschie

Postby Herschie » April 18th, 2019, 5:54 am

Even on classic systems, I went digital, using flashcarts for the NES, SNES, and N64.

CharlieR

Postby CharlieR » April 18th, 2019, 9:06 am

https://www.gamerevolution.com/news/526 ... fund-games

Gamestop is starting a new program where you can return a new game within 48 hours if you don't "love" it. This is interesting, you can get a refund of store credit on a $59.99 game.

Voor

Postby Voor » April 18th, 2019, 4:41 pm

CharlieR wrote:https://www.gamerevolution.com/news/526553-gamestop-guaranteed-to-love-it-program-refund-games

Gamestop is starting a new program where you can return a new game within 48 hours if you don't "love" it. This is interesting, you can get a refund of store credit on a $59.99 game.

Our local Game Exchange does that—can return a used game within 24 hours for credit. I’ve done it a few times and it’s nice, but I always feel a bit weird—seems like they should require a more legitimate need to return something than just “I didn’t like it”.

Gentlegamer

Postby Gentlegamer » April 18th, 2019, 5:56 pm

Voor wrote:
CharlieR wrote:https://www.gamerevolution.com/news/526553-gamestop-guaranteed-to-love-it-program-refund-games

Our local Game Exchange does that—can return a used game within 24 hours for credit. I’ve done it a few times and it’s nice, but I always feel a bit weird—seems like they should require a more legitimate need to return something than just “I didn’t like it”.

That's the most legitimate reason.

Voor

Postby Voor » April 18th, 2019, 10:20 pm

Yeah, but I’m just more inclined to think that if you buy something and just don’t like it, the burden should be on you to sell it yourself, trade it, etc. Obviously a different story if the product was defective, etc.

I’m sure most would disagree with me, and like I’ve said, I’ve used it to my own benefit, but I don’t think it’s a good idea from a business perspective. But it sounds like GameStop has more issues than just people just returning games.

Return to “Video Games General”