Switch vs PS4 vs Xbox One in terms of platformers?

Reserved for modern gaming discussions.
Sonicx9

Switch vs PS4 vs Xbox One in terms of platformers?

Postby Sonicx9 » April 11th, 2019, 2:28 pm

Of the current 3 main consoles which one has the strongest library of platformers (all types) and why.

My vote is Switch because of the Nintendo exclusives along with most of Inti Creates games being Nintendo exclusive, and the Switch gets nearly all the multi console games save for a few exceptions as of the time of writing such as The Disney Afternoon Collection and Spyro Reignited Trilogy, The only PS4 exclusive platformers are Ratchet & Clank remake (which is somewhat debatable as it based on the PS2 original that was remastered on PS3, but this version does have enough differences to make it stand out as an exclusive.), Astro Bot: Rescue Mission (VR game sadly!), and the Knack series (which is not bad, but not great compared to the Switch exclusives.) As for Xbox One, the only semi exclusive platformers not counting Backward compatibility og Xbox and 360 games are Super Lucky's Tale (on PC with rumors of Switch someday), and Rare Replay (a collection of old Rare games with many platformers on it.)

Your guys turn to vote which has the best library of platformers this gen. And if their are any single system exclusives I am missing for the Switch/PS4 or Xbox One also including semi exclusive such as brand exclusive (only on Nintendo, Sony, or Microsoft), or on PC and/or Mobile please let me know?

ptdebate

Re: Switch vs PS4 vs Xbox One in terms of platformers?

Postby ptdebate » April 14th, 2019, 1:05 pm

Don't forget Ori and the Blind Forest, an xbone console exclusive. That was a really good one

Sonicx9

Postby Sonicx9 » April 14th, 2019, 4:02 pm

ptdebate wrote:Don't forget Ori and the Blind Forest, an xbone console exclusive. That was a really good one

D'oh, thanks for catching that one, I will edit it and add it.

DrLitch

Postby DrLitch » April 16th, 2019, 1:44 pm

Exclusives? Yeah agreed, the Switch for the win here.

Kinda funny that Crash Bandicoot also ended up on it, was Crash not Sony exclusive once upon a time ago?

To be honest though, most of the best platforming games nowadays are Indie titles. Indie releases tend to cross over on all the consoles and PC. So they are all about tied with the Switch having the best exclusive content, most of which is developed by Nintendo themselves.

One thing I noticed though is that Flashback is on the Switch as a physical copy. This is an old classic platformer from the 90's. I remember playing it on the Genesis when I was a kid. Sega games on Nintendo. Now Sony games! Nintendo now the console of diversity - all inclusive! :P

ptdebate wrote:Don't forget Ori and the Blind Forest, an xbone console exclusive. That was a really good one

It is on Steam as well. This was a pretty solid game, very beautiful, and I think a sequel is coming out soon.

Sonicx9

Postby Sonicx9 » April 16th, 2019, 1:56 pm

DrLitch wrote:Exclusives? Yeah agreed, the Switch for the win here.

Kinda funny that Crash Bandicoot also ended up on it, was Crash not Sony exclusive once upon a time ago?

To be honest though, most of the best platforming games nowadays are Indie titles. Indie releases tend to cross over on all the consoles and PC. So they are all about tied with the Switch having the best exclusive content, most of which is developed by Nintendo themselves.

One thing I noticed though is that Flashback is on the Switch as a physical copy. This is an old classic platformer from the 90's. I remember playing it on the Genesis when I was a kid. Sega games on Nintendo. Now Sony games! Nintendo now the console of diversity - all inclusive! :P

It is on Steam as well. This was a pretty solid game, very beautiful, and I think a sequel is coming out soon.

For the first point not all indies are developed by Nintendo more, 3rd party. Also Flashback is a 3rd party game on everthing under the sun including the SNES.

For the second point, he said Xbone console exclusive which mean Xbox One console version and PC other version where it semi exclusive, but not a full exclusive.

Return to “Modern Gaming”