DVD and Blu Ray Sales

Talk about music, movies, television, books, and other media. No religious or political discussion allowed.
VideoGameCritic
Site Admin

DVD and Blu Ray Sales

Postby VideoGameCritic » April 12th, 2019, 3:43 pm

Just read about how DVD and Blu Ray sales are down 50% over the past few years.
https://arstechnica.com/gadgets/2019/04 ... port-says/

I'm surprised it's not worse! It doesn't help that the new generation of discs are so user hostile. Want to just to the main menu? You can't do that. Want to skip this preview? You can't do that. And oh yeah you need to update you system online to play this disc. This kind of garbage defeats the purpose of owning it!

I still like the idea of owning my favorite movies, but if the industry is going to make it such a hassle, I don't blame people for saying the hell with it.

ActRaiser

Re: DVD and Blu Ray Sales

Postby ActRaiser » April 12th, 2019, 5:10 pm

If you use your Xbox to watch movies there's an option that will let you go straight to the title menu.

Press the B button, go to the far right icon, select that to display a list of menu options, and then select title menu. Works like a charm to skip the previews.

Frankly, I buy Blu-Rays now more than ever due to not being able to go to the movies as often. I can watch a movie over a couple of nights. Plus, we are into the Disney phase like crazy with our little one.

I use the digital rights as much as possible to avoid having to get up off the couch to select another movie. But actually having the physical disk is great as a backup.

I wonder if they count buying the digital copy of a movie in their numbers, such as, on iTunes or Amazon? You can easily save it to a tablet which makes it super convenient for when you travel.

jon

Postby jon » April 12th, 2019, 6:17 pm

Even DVD’s take forever to load those ridiculous copywright screens or whatever. It’ll be over a minute before the movie starts. That’s where I really miss VCR’s because you could just fast forward. A couple months ago I was watching Executive Decision and just fast forward through all the pre movie bs and it took like 5 seconds. We had taped it in the 90’s and when the movie ended rheee was like 5 hours of pay per view movies being offered. This is pike ‘97 and it’s fascinating to see how things used to be. They were showing previews to movies like Barb Wire and would show the phone number to call

pacman000

Postby pacman000 » April 14th, 2019, 5:00 pm

I've always thought a movie would eventually turn a profit via video sales, but with the current market that's gone. It's too vertically integrated; only the streaming service makes money.

Return to “Other Media”