What do you like/dislike about the site?

General and high profile video game topics.
Voor

Re: What do you like/dislike about the site?

Postby Voor » April 14th, 2019, 12:30 pm

Absolutely. If the instant posting makes more moderators necessary, I don’t mind helping out.

newmodelarmy

Postby newmodelarmy » April 14th, 2019, 12:57 pm

Been coming here for years and I enjoy the site. I even visit it when I am not "into" video games as I enjoy reading the reviews.

VGC don't ever get "woke", be who you are and write what you want. If people don't like it they can go somewhere else.

People have already mentioned your disdain for online gaming and/or updates (neither of which I am a huge fan of) so I will not bemoan that.

The only "dislike" I really have is that I wish you reviewed newer games a bit quicker. For example, I would love to know your take on the Division 2 but I also realize that getting out the current game reviews isn't necessarily what this site is about.

I am not a big fan of the icons but it doesn't take away from my overall enjoyment of the site.

Keep up the great work. Any plans for the 20th anniversary which I think would be later this year?

Hagane

Postby Hagane » April 14th, 2019, 2:28 pm

It must be nitpicking, it's about the ratings, non americans don't understand much this american rating system: B+, C-, F+( why they don't use the letter E too? ), it's a weird rating system to fully understand, I think numbers or stars would have been more comprehensive: 7 out of 10, 7/10, 3.5 stars... :idea:

GTS

Postby GTS » April 14th, 2019, 4:09 pm

newmodelarmy wrote:
People have already mentioned your disdain for online gaming and/or updates (neither of which I am a huge fan of) so I will not bemoan that.

The only "dislike" I really have is that I wish you reviewed newer games a bit quicker. For example, I would love to know your take on the Division 2 but I also realize that getting out the current game reviews isn't necessarily what this site is about.

Division 2 is an online only game, so either he won't review it at all, or he'll give it an F. It could be the most awesome game in the world, but we'll never know it from coming to this site (unless minds change).

pacman000

Postby pacman000 » April 14th, 2019, 4:30 pm

Hagane wrote:It must be nitpicking, it's about the ratings, non americans don't understand much this american rating system: B+, C-, F+( why they don't use the letter E too? ), it's a weird rating system to fully understand, I think numbers or stars would have been more comprehensive: 7 out of 10, 7/10, 3.5 stars... :idea:

If a game gets two stars is it good for a select audience, as in Videohound, or is it still bad for everyone? Does 50% mean better than half the games out there, or 10% short of passing, as in an A to F system?

Still wish I could highlight text I'm reading.

I wish there was an easy way to compare games across systems.

The forum's search engine has too many stop words. I should be able to look up Atari w/o it telling me the word's too common.

The site search engine only works for a game's name; sometimes I may want to look up games by descriptions, to see what games contain dinosaurs or peanut butter, or whatever else I can think of. Sometimes I may want to find a specific review I've read before; if I can't remember the title I'm out of luck.

You have a good layout, a simple format, & a clear concise writing style.

Stalvern

Postby Stalvern » April 14th, 2019, 6:03 pm

I understand putting the Dreamcast under the "2000s" menu because it competed with the PS2; I don't understand putting the four systems released this decade there too. I guess the Wii U didn't merit a whole new drop-down when it came out, but there should have beeen a "2010s" menu after the Bone and PS4 were released and especially after the Switch.

ptdebate

Postby ptdebate » April 14th, 2019, 6:46 pm

Stalvern wrote:I understand putting the Dreamcast under the "2000s" menu because it competed with the PS2; I don't understand putting the four systems released this decade there too. I guess the Wii U didn't merit a whole new drop-down when it came out, but there should have beeen a "2010s" menu after the Bone and PS4 were released and especially after the Switch.

I don't know. Initially the DC took on the 5th generation because it was released in 1998 - only 2 years after the N64. It didn't compete with the PS2 so much as it got squashed by it. The Dreamcast belongs in the 90s section.

Stalvern

Postby Stalvern » April 14th, 2019, 6:52 pm

Oh, if it were up to me, it would go in the '90s section. And the Genesis and Turbografx-16 would be under the '80s. I'm just saying that there's at least a rationale behind that one.

Maverick0394

Postby Maverick0394 » April 14th, 2019, 8:15 pm

This is my go-to site for retro reviews...Minor nitpick but would be great if the latest consoles had more reviews....but like I said minor quibble, awesome site!

Voor

Postby Voor » April 15th, 2019, 9:08 am

Wow, looks like the traffic has ALREADY picked up the pace since instant posting was implemented. Hope everyone behaves themselves

Return to “Video Games General”