SNK 40th Anniversary Collection (Switch)

Tell us about games you are currently playing. "Quick hit" reviews.
VideoGameCritic
Site Admin

SNK 40th Anniversary Collection (Switch)

Postby VideoGameCritic » April 19th, 2019, 10:59 pm

Like classic game compilations? Well this one is a gem. It's not just another Neo Geo rehash. No, this retraces the roots of SNK (back to 1978) and includes their best arcade games from 1978-1990. Games like Vanguard, POW, Ikari Warriors, Prehistoric Island, Guerilla War, and Street Smart.

14 games are included, but if you download the patch there's 9 more. The slideshow museum is great. Still sifting through it all... Stay tuned.

Atariboy

Re: SNK 40th Anniversary Collection (Switch)

Postby Atariboy » April 19th, 2019, 11:12 pm

You should've gotten the just released PS4 version. They're all on the disc there. :)

Don't just patch the Switch version though since you won't have all the games that way. There are actually 11 DLC arcade additions instead of 9. Beast Busters and Search and Rescue aren't in the patch and must be manually downloaded for free off the Switch eShop to be added to your game.

It's been theorized that since these are the two bloodiest games of the lot, that this move was done to keep the rating down. I don't think it's our ESRB since both the Switch and PS4 versions are rated T and the latter has everything right on the disc. But over in Europe, the Switch release has a PEGI rating of 12 while the PS4 release is 16.

I assume publisher NIS America really wanted to keep the original Switch release at PEGI 12 and this move of making these two games optional online content allowed them to be added without affecting the rating of the base game.

Atariboy

Postby Atariboy » April 20th, 2019, 3:13 am

Here's one golden oldie that slipped past them. It's called Satan of Saturn and has just about everything I like from an early 80's arcade game. Plenty of action, high difficulty, bright colorful graphics, and solid sound effects and catchy musical jingles.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mzBgDNmsyyE

Was hoping to see this, especially since other SNK games running on the exact same hardware are here which would've made this an easy inclusion. But at least my AtGames Legends Flashback plug and play system emulates it and the licensed Taito release for North America well (That one has different musical jingles, so it's nice to have both versions).

Herschie

Postby Herschie » April 20th, 2019, 1:36 pm

I notice that Touchdown Fever was not on that list. Which would be a very good thing.

Sonicx9

Postby Sonicx9 » April 20th, 2019, 4:37 pm

VideoGameCritic wrote:Like classic game compilations? Well this one is a gem. It's not just another Neo Geo rehash. No, this retraces the roots of SNK (back to 1978) and includes their best arcade games from 1978-1990. Games like Vanguard, POW, Ikari Warriors, Prehistoric Island, Guerilla War, and Street Smart.

14 games are included, but if you download the patch there's 9 more. The slideshow museum is great. Still sifting through it all... Stay tuned.

Critic to got the last two games that are DLC, you need to log into the eShop or Nintendo website: https://www.nintendo.com/games/detail/s ... on-switch/, this is required to get the last two games BTW?

jon

Postby jon » April 20th, 2019, 5:27 pm

Wow, this seems like a great great compilation. I’m going to have to get this one. Can’t wait for the review

noah98

Postby noah98 » April 21st, 2019, 8:24 am

If you guys play the Switch a lot in handheld mode, you might want to pick one of these up when they restock:

https://www.fangamer.com/products/flip-grip

I bought one for my son, and it is really nice playing the Namco arcade games in vertical orientation. It also works for the vertical games in the SNK collection.

Retro STrife

Postby Retro STrife » April 22nd, 2019, 10:33 am

Just looked it up, and looks like an interesting collection. When I saw the name, I figured it was just another Neo Geo rehash. But it looks like all the games are from the pre-Neo Geo era. Good stuff.

VideoGameCritic wrote:14 games are included, but if you download the patch there's 9 more.

Atariboy wrote:You should've gotten the just released PS4 version. They're all on the disc there. :)

Don't just patch the Switch version though since you won't have all the games that way. There are actually 11 DLC arcade additions instead of 9. Beast Busters and Search and Rescue aren't in the patch and must be manually downloaded for free off the Switch eShop to be added to your game.

Yikes. I sure hope this gets noted in the review, with some points docked off too. You can't go hard on the PS4 and Xbox One for their patches, when the Switch situation is way worse -- including games on a cartridge is a joke in 2019. On top of that, don't forget the miserable amount of internal space (32 GB), which makes a bad situation even worse.

Sonicx9

Postby Sonicx9 » April 26th, 2019, 10:44 pm

BTW SNK 40th Anniversary Collection Headed to Xbox One: http://www.vgchartz.com/article/438107/ ... -xbox-one/ It has one exclusive game (Baseball Stars), but the catch it digital only being published by Other Ocean Interactive who owns Digital Eclipse. Not NIS America as they do not support Xbox.

snakeboy

Postby snakeboy » May 4th, 2019, 10:19 am

I happened to get the PS4 version a couple of weeks ago, and while it's nice that all the games are on the disc, I'm annoyed that the controls in the dual stick games are kind of glitchy. Every once in a while you can't move or aim in one particular direction. It seems like the glitch is tied to the analog sticks so using the d-pad helps alleviate the problem, but the right stick will still glitch out every so often. I thought maybe the problem was with my controller, but after a Google search I discovered that I'm not the only one having issues.

I decided against the Switch version since half the games are DLC, but now I'm tempted to get it since the price has come down on Amazon, and it seems most of the best games are on the cart (And assuming the Switch version isn't glitchy too).

Return to “Now Playing”