In 2019 is their even a point owning PS4 and Pro and Xbox One and X over Switch and PC?

Reserved for modern gaming discussions.
Sonicx9

In 2019 is their even a point owning PS4 and Pro and Xbox One and X over Switch and PC?

Postby Sonicx9 » April 26th, 2019, 5:02 pm

I mean if you think about it, 99% of what comes out on PS4 and Xbox One comes to PC making them pointless outside of exclusives. And these videos say it best. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6FZZstEkJdE and https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=D3LXuMJna7g beginning half mostly. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OAEI3dAS7hY and https://youtu.be/VxvmeVxzw4s?t=1562 at the end part mostly. And 99% of 3rd party comes to PC outside of rare exceptions like Persona 5 (all versions and editions), Kingdom Hearts III and Red Dead Redemption 2. And mind you I do not like doing PC Gaming, but their are truth that their are not much of a reason to get modern systems. That is why the Switch is my current main system as it the only one I like, but that just me?

Stalvern

Re: In 2019 is their even a point owning PS4 and Pro and Xbox One and X over Switch and PC?

Postby Stalvern » April 26th, 2019, 5:12 pm

A decent gaming PC costs more than a PS4 and an Xbox One combined.

Sonicx9

Re: In 2019 is their even a point owning PS4 and Pro and Xbox One and X over Switch and PC?

Postby Sonicx9 » April 26th, 2019, 5:20 pm

Stalvern wrote:A decent gaming PC costs more than a PS4 and an Xbox One combined.

Actually you are wrong with PCPartPicker sites you can build ones on par price or less that are more powerful and it correct. around $505.60 to $700.61 range so it not that big of a difference.

Stalvern

Postby Stalvern » April 26th, 2019, 5:37 pm

Sonicx9 wrote:Actually you are wrong with PCPartPicker sites you can build ones on par price or less that are more powerful and it correct. around $505.60 to $700.61 range so it not that big of a difference.

That's just the tower itself. Windows alone will cost you over a hundred dollars, to say nothing of the monitor, mouse, keyboard, and speakers. You'll approach or even break $1000 unless you settle for the lowest-end peripherals, which won't be especially conducive to gaming.

Sonicx9

Postby Sonicx9 » April 26th, 2019, 5:41 pm

Stalvern wrote:
Sonicx9 wrote:Actually you are wrong with PCPartPicker sites you can build ones on par price or less that are more powerful and it correct. around $505.60 to $700.61 range so it not that big of a difference.

That's just the tower itself. Windows alone will cost you over a hundred dollars, to say nothing of the monitor, mouse, keyboard, and speakers. You'll approach or even break $1000 unless you settle for the lowest-end peripherals, which won't be especially conducive to gaming.

You have a point, a lot of sites never mention about it and only focus on the tower which is odd, it like they hid it under the rug,

Stalvern

Postby Stalvern » April 26th, 2019, 6:31 pm

Another big point in a console's favor is the social element. Local multiplayer is a joke on a PC.

Sonicx9

Postby Sonicx9 » April 26th, 2019, 8:06 pm

Stalvern wrote:Another big point in a console's favor is the social element. Local multiplayer is a joke on a PC.

What funney is they say it can be done via making a console size PC and using USB controllers and even say you can do couch gaming.

DrLitch

Postby DrLitch » April 26th, 2019, 9:37 pm

Sonicx9 wrote:I mean if you think about it, 99% of what comes out on PS4 and Xbox One comes to PC making them pointless outside of exclusives.

If you just go by titles in bulk, a console seems like a poor purchase. Xbox One in particular.

I must admit, I like my PS4. Some good content there. Bloodborne, Horizon Zero Dawn, Persona V, and some others, good stuff. I even like Uncharted games quite a lot. Switch is probably my favorite little device now. I just bought Diablo III even though I have it on the PC as well...

Converse? Well,

PC prices are horrific. To game, a nice humble $300 Office PC refurb is not going to cut it. A reasonable gaming PC starts at $700, by reasonable I infer it will play modern titles with good fidelity. If Laptop form factor works better for an individual, then even more $$$.

Then there are other factors. PC on a bad monitor? Not recommended, you have to match monitor refresh to PC frames. No match, the game will look broken. PC games also not well optimized for dips in performance. Might run a game at 120fps with 1% lows at 20fps. A high quality GSync/Freesync is every bit as important as your PC hardware. Console? Plug that contraption in a TV, any old TV if you want, and enjoy. Worst case is your eyes hurt from low refresh rates.

What you say is mostly true though, Developers are porting their goods to every medium possible. Tablets will soon get thrown in the mix as well....

Stalvern wrote:A decent gaming PC costs more than a PS4 and an Xbox One combined.

And then some.... While decent is subjective, my version of decent equates to well over $1000. Considerably over in fact. That is without factoring in monitor, keyboard, mouse, mousepad, and all the rest of the bling.

To put some weight behind this, without considering top tier components, but good components nonetheless:

Ryzen 5 2600X $180
16 GB of DDR4 $120+ (but you might want higher end RAM / better timings with Ryzen)
RTX 2070 or Vega 64 or GTX 1080 $450+
Motherboard $150+
Power Supply $80
Tower/Case $100+
M2 Nvme Drive $80
1TB HDD 7200RPM $50+

$1210.

Add in Cooling (if i5), Case Fans, LED Strips, Modular Power Supply Cables (if going with aesthetic/color scheme), Fan hub, Cable Management gear, Thermal Paste, etc etc, you can add $200+ to that total, easily....

Probably going to be in and around $1500 for it all said and done. Add another $800 if this is a first build/PC and all the peripherals must get chucked in....

This PC is a good solid gaming PC but in terms of specs - it is either bottom of the top tier or near top of the mid tier.

A $500 PC, if built with gaming in mind, will need settings dialed back to run some of the more demanding modern AAA titles. With PS5 releasing next year, gaming demands are going north. A $500 PC is going to struggle running some of the titles. I am curious to see how Red Dead Redemption 2 hogs a PC's resources. Might take GTX1080/RTX2070 levels of GPU to smash the 60fps barrier on high settings - at 1080p no less. I am shocked the consoles ran this game so well, the graphics are amazing...

The Playstation 5 apparently is going to have twice the throughput of the Xbox One X. That is in RTX 2080/2080 Ti territory if rumors are true. Sony is going to take a massive loss on these units - that kind of power is not cheap, even in mass production.... Who knows though rumors are rumors and there are too many fanboys that like to spread falsehoods....

Sonicx9

Postby Sonicx9 » April 26th, 2019, 10:31 pm

DrLitch wrote:
Ryzen 5 2600X $180
16 GB of DDR4 $120+ (but you might want higher end RAM / better timings with Ryzen)
RTX 2070 or Vega 64 or GTX 1080 $450+
Motherboard $150+
Power Supply $80
Tower/Case $100+
M2 Nvme Drive $80
1TB HDD 7200RPM $50+

$1210.

Add in Cooling (if i5), Case Fans, LED Strips, Modular Power Supply Cables (if going with aesthetic/color scheme), Fan hub, Cable Management gear, Thermal Paste, etc etc, you can add $200+ to that total, easily....

Probably going to be in and around $1500 for it all said and done. Add another $800 if this is a first build/PC and all the peripherals must get chucked in....

This PC is a good solid gaming PC but in terms of specs - it is either bottom of the top tier or near top of the mid tier.

So the price thing is a big myth it more then you think?

BanjoPickles

Postby BanjoPickles » April 26th, 2019, 11:20 pm

Aside from the difference in cost, there are multiple amazing games that simply aren’t coming to PC:

-the Uncharted series
-Last of Us 1 and 2
-God of War
-Until Dawn
-The Last Guardian/Shadow of the Colossus
-the upcoming Death Stranding
-Horizon: Zero Dawn
-Spider-Man
-Bloodborne
-Persona 5
-Gran Turismo Sport
-MLB The Show
-Infamous Second Son
-Ratchet and Clank
-Gravity Rush 2
-Little Big Planet
-Tearaway Unfolded

Those are the best of the exclusives. That list doesn’t even begin to include games like GTAV, RDR2, the upcoming Shenmue III, the Resident Evil 2 remake, etc.
I would say that makes for a pretty impressive library.
-

Return to “Modern Gaming”