In 2019 is their even a point owning PS4 and Pro and Xbox One and X over Switch and PC?

Reserved for modern gaming discussions.
Sonicx9

Re: In 2019 is their even a point owning PS4 and Pro and Xbox One and X over Switch and PC?

Postby Sonicx9 » April 27th, 2019, 1:40 am

BanjoPickles wrote:Aside from the difference in cost, there are multiple amazing games that simply aren’t coming to PC:

-the Uncharted series
-Last of Us 1 and 2
-God of War
-Until Dawn
-The Last Guardian/Shadow of the Colossus
-the upcoming Death Stranding
-Horizon: Zero Dawn
-Spider-Man
-Bloodborne
-Persona 5
-Gran Turismo Sport
-MLB The Show
-Infamous Second Son
-Ratchet and Clank
-Gravity Rush 2
-Little Big Planet
-Tearaway Unfolded

Those are the best of the exclusives. That list doesn’t even begin to include games like GTAV, RDR2, the upcoming Shenmue III, the Resident Evil 2 remake, etc.
I would say that makes for a pretty impressive library.
-

That is a good list and all, but a lot of PC Master Race gamers love to say that PC has way more high rated exclusives based on this list: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Category: ... only_games and metacritic: https://www.metacritic.com/feature/best ... es-of-2017

Stalvern

Re: In 2019 is their even a point owning PS4 and Pro and Xbox One and X over Switch and PC?

Postby Stalvern » April 27th, 2019, 5:20 am

Why do you care about this consoles-versus-PC p***ing contest in the first place? There are different situations where each option has its own strengths and weaknesses. Numbers like how many exclusives scored higher than 75 only matter to people who are more interested in arguing about games than in playing them (apart from the Bone's poor little 1 for Forza Motorsport 7, a serious red flag for any prospective buyer). Do PCs have more exclusives than consoles? Of course they do; the barrier to entry for developers is much, much lower. And PCs run multi-platform games better than consoles do nine times out of ten, as long as you can afford the hardware for it. But so what? Few people who aren't dedicated collectors are going to buy every high-scoring exclusive for their console each year (unless it's Forza Motorsport 7, I guess), let alone all of the high-scoring exclusives across the system's lifespan, so it's a meaningless number for practical purposes. Being able to bump a graphics slider a notch or three past what a console can handle is cool, but it's a drop in the bucket compared to all of the other trade-offs and considerations involved in deciding which platform to invest in. Trying to make this choice into a right-and-wrong/us-and-them scenario is juvenile at best and probably harmful at worst. If you aren't in the market for a new console or computer yourself, this should not matter to you.

Voor

Postby Voor » April 27th, 2019, 8:01 am

I personally don’t care about the PC versus console debate. Debates to me are more often than not, a chest thumping event of people trying to outsmart each other while neither side not being open to changing their opinions. Thus, they almost always feel like a waste of time.

But on this subject, I have a simple view that I seriously doubt most people would agree with. Because I work on a computer for 7-8 hours a day, PCs are related with work, whereas consoles are for play. Back when I had a more labor intensive job, I had no issue coming home and gaming on a PC (though I never got into the rat race of having the latest/greatest Hardware—or could afford it).

Nowadays, I don’t even have a home computer. Just use my phone for things.

I do agree that Xbox and PS are basically PCs at the his point, which may be why I’ve never been tempted to purchase one. Nintendo has always focused on fun, and the others more on technology, which some consumers appreciate and some scoff at.

I seriously need to upgrade my Wii—been debating for months between 3DS, Switch, or wait for the mini-Switch, and still don’t know. Lol

Voor

Postby Voor » April 27th, 2019, 8:05 am

Meant to add that it is a great thread topic. Good job!!

David

Postby David » April 27th, 2019, 9:25 am

I've gotten rid of my Xbox, but I can't get rid of the PS4. As Banjo said, there are way too many games I'd like to play on it. A lot of it is ecosystem as well. I've invested a lot more into Playstation and PC than I have Xbox, and while I don't game online much, when I do it's on PC or PS4 because that's what my friends have. Also, the only time I've ever seen "PC master race" is in comments written by losers on the internet. I don't know anyone in real life who actually gives a crap about it, so I wouldn't worry about it.

DrLitch

Postby DrLitch » April 27th, 2019, 9:36 am

Sonicx9 wrote:So the price thing is a big myth it more then you think?

LOL yeah those that say PC's are cheap are talking out of their....

That said PC's are cheaper than a great many things. Cheaper than an iMac of comparable Specs for instance. Can be cheaper than than some high end Phones. One thing it is not cheaper than are consoles. People who spread this are spreading an impractical concept. Go to Best Buy and see if you can purchase a gaming PC that runs a game as well as, say, an Xbox One X and see if you can match the $400. Building a PC is not that much cheaper than buying one already built. In fact building your own can oftentimes be more expensive....

Yes if you buy used parts and get deals on Craiglist or eBay for old outdated stuff you can build a pretty good PC. One can buy refurbs for cheap or 5 year old parts for cheap. Does not become a valid argument in the PC Vs Console pricing. I saw a PS4 in a thrift store for $70, does not make the PS4 a $70 console... it makes it an underpriced or broken console....

Sonicx9 wrote:That is a good list and all, but a lot of PC Master Race gamers love to say that PC has way more high rated exclusives based on this list: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Category: ... only_games and metacritic: https://www.metacritic.com/feature/best ... es-of-2017

Thing about hobbies is people like to have them. If you have a PC building hobby obviously you will want to promote it.... Conversely if you are not into the PC building, you have no reason to give a s##t about it.

Voor wrote:But on this subject, I have a simple view that I seriously doubt most people would agree with. Because I work on a computer for 7-8 hours a day, PCs are related with work, whereas consoles are for play. Back when I had a more labor intensive job, I had no issue coming home and gaming on a PC (though I never got into the rat race of having the latest/greatest Hardware—or could afford it).

It is standard protocol, when working on a PC, is to put on Doom or Quake and have a quick play when nobody is looking ;) .

Sonicx9

Postby Sonicx9 » April 28th, 2019, 12:04 pm

A little late response so here goes nothing.

Stalvern wrote:Why do you care about this consoles-versus-PC p***ing contest in the first place? There are different situations where each option has its own strengths and weaknesses. Numbers like how many exclusives scored higher than 75 only matter to people who are more interested in arguing about games than in playing them (apart from the Bone's poor little 1 for Forza Motorsport 7, a serious red flag for any prospective buyer). Do PCs have more exclusives than consoles? Of course they do; the barrier to entry for developers is much, much lower. And PCs run multi-platform games better than consoles do nine times out of ten, as long as you can afford the hardware for it. But so what? Few people who aren't dedicated collectors are going to buy every high-scoring exclusive for their console each year (unless it's Forza Motorsport 7, I guess), let alone all of the high-scoring exclusives across the system's lifespan, so it's a meaningless number for practical purposes. Being able to bump a graphics slider a notch or three past what a console can handle is cool, but it's a drop in the bucket compared to all of the other trade-offs and considerations involved in deciding which platform to invest in. Trying to make this choice into a right-and-wrong/us-and-them scenario is juvenile at best and probably harmful at worst. If you aren't in the market for a new console or computer yourself, this should not matter to you.

The thing is I am not a PC gamer fan at all, and I have been bullied by the PC Master Race community, I swear they act like Tea Party/Infowars community as they treat console gaming like communism and want people to hate consoles even those that are not PC Gaming fans like me. Also I have bad past PC experiences as my PC where junk for gaming back then with virus/malware and other frustrating tech issues which is why I stick with consoles/handhelds.

Voor wrote:I personally don’t care about the PC versus console debate. Debates to me are more often than not, a chest thumping event of people trying to outsmart each other while neither side not being open to changing their opinions. Thus, they almost always feel like a waste of time.

But on this subject, I have a simple view that I seriously doubt most people would agree with. Because I work on a computer for 7-8 hours a day, PCs are related with work, whereas consoles are for play. Back when I had a more labor intensive job, I had no issue coming home and gaming on a PC (though I never got into the rat race of having the latest/greatest Hardware—or could afford it).

Nowadays, I don’t even have a home computer. Just use my phone for things.

I do agree that Xbox and PS are basically PCs at the his point, which may be why I’ve never been tempted to purchase one. Nintendo has always focused on fun, and the others more on technology, which some consumers appreciate and some scoff at.

I seriously need to upgrade my Wii—been debating for months between 3DS, Switch, or wait for the mini-Switch, and still don’t know. Lol

To me consoles/handhelds are better for me as that my preferred way to play games, as PC are more for work.

Voor wrote:Meant to add that it is a great thread topic. Good job!!

Thanks after the controversial "Nintendo exposes Sony with this game." thread it a nice change.

David wrote:I've gotten rid of my Xbox, but I can't get rid of the PS4. As Banjo said, there are way too many games I'd like to play on it. A lot of it is ecosystem as well. I've invested a lot more into Playstation and PC than I have Xbox, and while I don't game online much, when I do it's on PC or PS4 because that's what my friends have. Also, the only time I've ever seen "PC master race" is in comments written by losers on the internet. I don't know anyone in real life who actually gives a crap about it, so I wouldn't worry about it.

That PC Master Race community is toxic and is the reason why I stay away from PC gaming.

DrLitch wrote:
LOL yeah those that say PC's are cheap are talking out of their....

That said PC's are cheaper than a great many things. Cheaper than an iMac of comparable Specs for instance. Can be cheaper than than some high end Phones. One thing it is not cheaper than are consoles. People who spread this are spreading an impractical concept. Go to Best Buy and see if you can purchase a gaming PC that runs a game as well as, say, an Xbox One X and see if you can match the $400. Building a PC is not that much cheaper than buying one already built. In fact building your own can oftentimes be more expensive....

Yes if you buy used parts and get deals on Craiglist or eBay for old outdated stuff you can build a pretty good PC. One can buy refurbs for cheap or 5 year old parts for cheap. Does not become a valid argument in the PC Vs Console pricing. I saw a PS4 in a thrift store for $70, does not make the PS4 a $70 console... it makes it an underpriced or broken console....

Thing about hobbies is people like to have them. If you have a PC building hobby obviously you will want to promote it.... Conversely if you are not into the PC building, you have no reason to give a s##t about it.

I agree, I am not a PC builder and don't know how to do it, it just I was bullied by the PC Master Race community and want me to bash consoles which is terrible. Also that community is like a cult.

DrLitch

Postby DrLitch » April 28th, 2019, 9:09 pm

Sonicx9 wrote:I agree, I am not a PC builder and don't know how to do it, it just I was bullied by the PC Master Race community and want me to bash consoles which is terrible. Also that community is like a cult.

Sorry to hear you got bullied. Shame on them. That said...
You remember watching the films where the bullies get their comeuppance right? You know the drill. Little shy kid gets bullied, learns how to fight or outwit an opponent, at the end rises like the Phoenix and beats the crap out of the bully. Oh yeah, good stuff right? Well next time you get treated like s##t, show some fight. You can still keep your dignity while dishing it out. You just need to research,learn the lingo, the terminology.

You could easily build a gaming PC, you are not lacking smarts. Whether you want or need to is another matter, not all of us have deep holes in our pockets...

Sonicx9

Postby Sonicx9 » April 28th, 2019, 9:27 pm

DrLitch wrote:
Sorry to hear you got bullied. Shame on them. That said...
You remember watching the films where the bullies get their comeuppance right? You know the drill. Little shy kid gets bullied, learns how to fight or outwit an opponent, at the end rises like the Phoenix and beats the crap out of the bully. Oh yeah, good stuff right? Well next time you get treated like s##t, show some fight. You can still keep your dignity while dishing it out. You just need to research,learn the lingo, the terminology.

You could easily build a gaming PC, you are not lacking smarts. Whether you want or need to is another matter, not all of us have deep holes in our pockets...

Good point need to rise up and be stronger that what I need to do going forward. As for PC building I am a idiot on that and do not have the deep holes to do so.

Return to “Modern Gaming”