Unity vs Unreal Engine 4?

Reserved for modern gaming discussions.
Sonicx9

Unity vs Unreal Engine 4?

Postby Sonicx9 » April 30th, 2019, 5:47 pm

Of the big two 3rd party game engines which is better and why?

Unity I have noticed is popular with simpler 2D games and simpler 3D games, as their are not many large scale titles made on Unity. But Unity is infamous for poor framerate on consoles on early releases but has gotten better later on.

Unreal Engine 4 is popular with more demanding games, but is harder to work with.

What do you guys think is better and why?

Stalvern

Re: Unity vs Unreal Engine 4?

Postby Stalvern » April 30th, 2019, 6:33 pm

Meaningless question. It's like asking if a pickup truck is better than a semi.
Last edited by Stalvern on April 30th, 2019, 6:36 pm, edited 1 time in total.

pacman000

Postby pacman000 » April 30th, 2019, 6:35 pm

Like almost everything in life, it depends on what you need.

If you're a small team Unity might be best. It's easier to work with, free to certain limits, & has a large asset store.

For a bigger team working on grander games, Unreal's power pushing features might be best.

Sonicx9

Postby Sonicx9 » April 30th, 2019, 6:57 pm

pacman000 wrote:Like almost everything in life, it depends on what you need.

If you're a small team Unity might be best. It's easier to work with, free to certain limits, & has a large asset store.

For a bigger team working on grander games, Unreal's power pushing features might be best.

That does make a lot of sense, because here are examples games like Hollow Knight and Cuphead (Unity based) both look and run like a dream and are made by small teams with amazing results. And scale well from PC to Switch with little to no loss in quality and performance. But even then a large scale 3D game like Yooka-Laylee can do good results in the right hand, it just requires a lot of work.

But a more demanding engine like Unreal with bigger teams and higher budgets like Kingdom Hearts III, and Tekken 7 do need Unreal 4 and are so demanding on base PS4 and Xbox One consoles, don't run at a full 1080P (both games case), and lock 60FPS (KH III case.) But even then a small, talented team like Sumo Digital did wonders with Snake Pass on base PS4/Xbox One and Switch. And mind you Snake Pass required a i5 (quad core CPU on PC because of the grass detail eat into the CPU.) Although Tekken 7 requires a potato i3, so it hard to say?

DrLitch

Postby DrLitch » April 30th, 2019, 8:14 pm

Video Games are art.

A good artist will create great graphics, styling and gameplay, particularly with contemporary engines and hardware.

We see examples in both of good and bad. I.e. Unreal 4, Hellblade Senua's Sacrifice is incredible. Rime on the other hand is terrible, particularly on the Switch. More than likely a bad port since the graphics do not look like anything that could not be done on the Xbox 360.

Problem is you cannot compare Cuphead with Hellblade. Completely different genres, like comparing Mario and Contra.

Cuphead, funny enough, I am playing it now. It is really fun but I am getting a hurting on it. Is this game actually that difficult or do I just suck? I have died so many times now....

Sonicx9

Postby Sonicx9 » April 30th, 2019, 8:25 pm

DrLitch wrote:Video Games are art.

A good artist will create great graphics, styling and gameplay, particularly with contemporary engines and hardware.

We see examples in both of good and bad. I.e. Unreal 4, Hellblade Senua's Sacrifice is incredible. Rime on the other hand is terrible, particularly on the Switch. More than likely a bad port since the graphics do not look like anything that could not be done on the Xbox 360.

Problem is you cannot compare Cuphead with Hellblade. Completely different genres, like comparing Mario and Contra.

Cuphead, funny enough, I am playing it now. It is really fun but I am getting a hurting on it. Is this game actually that difficult or do I just suck? I have died so many times now....

You have a good point you can not compare the engines as they are made for different purposes. And glad you got Cuphead, plan to get it on Switch when the physical release comes out. And yes I heard Rime is poorly optimized on all platforms likely because of bad developer. And yes Hellblade Senua's Sacrifice was a incredible showpiece on all platforms including Switch.: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Xb1BGLGS_UY it nuts what devs are doing on Switch.

DrLitch

Postby DrLitch » April 30th, 2019, 8:54 pm

Sonicx9 wrote:Hellblade Senua's Sacrifice was a incredible showpiece on all platforms including Switch.: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Xb1BGLGS_UY it nuts what devs are doing on Switch.

Wow, I did not even know Hellblade came on the Switch. If they release a physical copy I will buy it again. Hard for me tell on video because my laptop screen is only 720p but Hellblade looks like an outstanding port. I have no doubt now that the Switch could support most modern games then - Hellblade pushes the PS4 hard. Good job on the team porting it to the Switch.

Sonicx9

Postby Sonicx9 » April 30th, 2019, 10:30 pm

DrLitch wrote:
Sonicx9 wrote:Hellblade Senua's Sacrifice was a incredible showpiece on all platforms including Switch.: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Xb1BGLGS_UY it nuts what devs are doing on Switch.

Wow, I did not even know Hellblade came on the Switch. If they release a physical copy I will buy it again. Hard for me tell on video because my laptop screen is only 720p but Hellblade looks like an outstanding port. I have no doubt now that the Switch could support most modern games then - Hellblade pushes the PS4 hard. Good job on the team porting it to the Switch.

That because devs dig into the hardware and did wonder. Problems are devs on PS4 and Xbox One have gotten lazy by code dumping PC versions and calling it a day it lazy and lame. That why the Switch is more interesting as it more like SNES/Genesis/Neo Geo/Sega Saturn/Xbox 360/PS3, etc.

Return to “Modern Gaming”