Commando NES Freezing

Reserved for classic gaming discussions.
envytomdead

Commando NES Freezing

Postby envytomdead » May 1st, 2019, 8:01 am

I am on my second copy of Commando for the NES. It seems the game just randomly freezes? I have seen this behavior on both an original NES and a retro bit RES. If you wait long enough the game might unfreeze on the nes but not the res. Is this a know issue with this game?

mbd36

Re: Commando NES Freezing

Postby mbd36 » May 1st, 2019, 8:33 am

envytomdead wrote:I am on my second copy of Commando for the NES. It seems the game just randomly freezes? I have seen this behavior on both an original NES and a retro bit RES. If you wait long enough the game might unfreeze on the nes but not the res. Is this a know issue with this game?

Interesting. Someone started this thread on another board about Commando on the AVS and having similar issues with it freezing at random.

I used to play a lot of Commando as a kid and I don't remember it freezing, just lots of graphical glitches. It might be a fussy game though.

http://nintendoage.com/forum/messagevie ... did=184060

envytomdead

Re: Commando NES Freezing

Postby envytomdead » October 26th, 2019, 4:34 pm

I think I may have found an interesting discovery on this. I think this might be related to the controller you use. My 3 NES systems are a original NES, a retro-bit RES and a hyperkin Retron 3.

My RES came with two controllers. The freezing happened on all 3 systems. I was using the retro-bit 1st controller on all 3.The NES would eventually recover if you waited long enough, the others would not. . I broke out the NES again and played with the nes controller and no freezing. I didn't think anything of it. I just thought it's a glitchy game but just fairs better on real hardware.

I broke out commando on my RES with the second retro bit controller, no freezing and there hasn't been any since. Still I thought might be the luck of the draw. Today I tried commando on my Retron 3 with the hyperkin wireless controller, freezing occurred constantly. Switched to retro-bit controller 2 no freezing on the retron 3.

Return to “Classic Gaming”