Another 3rd paty dev jumps on the Switch bandwagon.

Reserved for modern gaming discussions.
Sonicx9

Another 3rd paty dev jumps on the Switch bandwagon.

Postby Sonicx9 » May 2nd, 2019, 1:17 pm

ACE Team who has only done projects on PC/PlayStation and Xbox now joins the Nintendo Switch development.: https://nintendoeverything.com/sega-bri ... his-month/ two years late, but better late then never.

It amazing what devs are going out to support Nintendo as it was not like that from N64 to Wii U eras.

Will Techland be next? Only time will tell.

BanjoPickles

Re: Another 3rd paty dev jumps on the Switch bandwagon.

Postby BanjoPickles » May 2nd, 2019, 3:48 pm

I've always thought that the 3rd party discussion, relating to Nintendo, neglects the Gamecube era. That particular era was more akin to the SNES era, when it comes to third-party support:

-Capcom: Resident Evil Remake, O, 4, ports of 2, 3, and Code Veronica. Also, we got Viewtiful Joe (amazing game) 1 and 2, Killer 7, P.N. 03, Mega Man Anniversary, Capcom Vs. SNK, Mega Man X Command, Mega Man Network Transmission.

Konami: TMNT 1-3, Metal Gear Solid Remake (exclusive. Co-developed with Silicon Knights, I believe), DDR, etc.

Sega: Sonic Adventure 2 DX, Sonic Riders, Sonic Gems, Sonic Collection, F-Zero GX, Super Monkey Ball, Billy Hatcher, Sega Soccer Slam, Phantasy Star Online 1 and 2, Shadow the Hedgehog, Skies of Arcadia Legends, Home Run King, Phantasy Star Online III, Sonic Heroes, Crazy Taxi, etc.

Namco: Soul Caliber II, Tales of Symphonia, Baten Kaitos, I-Ninja, Pac Man World Rally, Pac Man World II, Dead to Rights, Donkey Konga.....

EA: 007 Nightfire, 007 Everything or Nothing, The Sims, Def Jam: Fight For NY, The Simpsons Road Rage, The Simpsons: Hit and Run, Medal of Honor Frontline, the Need for Speed games, SSX Tricky and 3, etc.

Square: Final Fantasy Crystal Chronicles.

Factor 5: Star Wars Rogue Squadron II and III......

A list of other good-to-great third party games that came to Gamecube:

-Beyond Good and Evil
-Timesplitters: Future Perfect
-Ikaraga
-Eternal Darkness
-the Prince of Persia Trilogy
-Gladius
-True Crime: Streets of LA
-XIII
-Tomb Raider Legend/Anniversary
-Tony Hawk games
-Alien Hominid
-Burnout
-Harvest Moon: Magical Melody
-Bomberman Jetters
-Ultimate Wrestling
-the THQ WWF games
-Baldur's Gate

Those are off of the top of my head. You figure that those, combined with the incredible 1st party lineup, more than make up for the lack of games like GTA, Final Fantasy main, Dragon Quest, and the like. The 64 support was weak, yes, but even the Wii had some stellar third party support if you were willing to sift through the mounds of crap. Honestly, I think the Wii U had the most putrid support of them all! It's almost like the third party community gave up trying after that first year, and it was all on Nintendo....which is why it is now my least favorite Nintendo console.

Gentlegamer

Postby Gentlegamer » May 2nd, 2019, 3:51 pm

BanjoPickles wrote:I've always thought that the 3rd party discussion, relating to Nintendo, neglects the Gamecube era. That particular era was more akin to the SNES era, when it comes to third-party support:

-Capcom: Resident Evil Remake, O, 4, ports of 2, 3, and Code Veronica. Also, we got Viewtiful Joe (amazing game) 1 and 2, Killer 7, P.N. 03, Mega Man Anniversary, Capcom Vs. SNK, Mega Man X Command, Mega Man Network Transmission.

Konami: TMNT 1-3, Metal Gear Solid Remake (exclusive. Co-developed with Silicon Knights, I believe), DDR, etc.

Sega: Sonic Adventure 2 DX, Sonic Riders, Sonic Gems, Sonic Collection, F-Zero GX, Super Monkey Ball, Billy Hatcher, Sega Soccer Slam, Phantasy Star Online 1 and 2, Shadow the Hedgehog, Skies of Arcadia Legends, Home Run King, Phantasy Star Online III, Sonic Heroes, Crazy Taxi, etc.

Namco: Soul Caliber II, Tales of Symphonia, Baten Kaitos, I-Ninja, Pac Man World Rally, Pac Man World II, Dead to Rights, Donkey Konga.....

EA: 007 Nightfire, 007 Everything or Nothing, The Sims, Def Jam: Fight For NY, The Simpsons Road Rage, The Simpsons: Hit and Run, Medal of Honor Frontline, the Need for Speed games, SSX Tricky and 3, etc.

-Beyond Good and Evil
-Ikaraga
-Eternal Darkness
-Gladius
-XIII
-Tony Hawk games
-Alien Hominid
-Burnout
-Bomberman Jetters
-Ultimate Wrestling
-the THQ WWF games
-Baldur's Gate

Those are off of the top of my head. You figure that those, combined with the incredible 1st party lineup, more than make up for the lack of games like GTA, Final Fantasy main, Dragon Quest, and the like. The 64 support was weak, yes, but even the Wii had some stellar third party support if you were willing to sift through the mounds of crap. Honestly, I think the Wii U had the most putrid support of them all! It's almost like the third party community gave up trying after that first year, and it was all on Nintendo....which is why it is now my least favorite Nintendo console.

I would hazard to guess the majority of these were under Howard Lincoln

BanjoPickles

Postby BanjoPickles » May 2nd, 2019, 4:09 pm

He was merely the chairman, so I doubt he had much of an influence. I know that he said what he said about Night Trap, but it's not like he made those decisions. It would have fallen on Arakawa in the West, and Yamauchi in the East.

Sonicx9

Postby Sonicx9 » May 2nd, 2019, 5:03 pm

BanjoPickles wrote:I've always thought that the 3rd party discussion, relating to Nintendo, neglects the Gamecube era. That particular era was more akin to the SNES era, when it comes to third-party support:

-Beyond Good and Evil
-Ikaraga
-Eternal Darkness
-Gladius
-XIII
-Tony Hawk games
-Alien Hominid
-Burnout
-Bomberman Jetters
-Ultimate Wrestling
-the THQ WWF games
-Baldur's Gate

Some corrections/things to mention:

The DDR game you are talking about is Mario Mix the only one on GameCube.

The Sega stuff is mostly correct except the Crazy Taxi port US/EU versions where actually published/ported by Acclaim Entertainment (a then long time Nintendo support no longer in business.)

The Simpsons: Hit and Run was not published by EA, but rather Vivendi Universal Games (later merged with Activision to create Activision Blizzard as they owned Blizzard at the time.) Although EA still has The Simpsons license thanks to The Simpsons: Tapped Out mobile game.

Timesplitters: Future Perfect was published by EA back in the day, but the current rights belong to THQ Nordic.

Ikaraga on GameCube was formally published Infogrames/later modern Atari before the self publishing right inverted back to Treasure to be publish for PS4 and Switch through big indie publisher Nicalis on Switch version.

Eternal Darkness was published by Nintendo as first party with the partnership of Silicon Knights.

XIII getting a remaster for Switch and other modern systems by Microïds: http://www.microids.com/xiii-a-remake-o ... the-works/

Tomb Raider Anniversary never had a GameCube port, only WIi back when Eidos was not part of Square Enix.

Alien Hominid might get a remaster for Switch as The Behemoth is working on Castle Crashers for the Switch.

Burnout 1 and 2 where published by Acclaim Entertainment before EA bought out Criterion Games. And not much love sense.

Bomberman Jetters is technically a Konami title now that they own Hudson ips.

Ultimate Wrestling you are referring to Ultimate Muscle: Legends vs. New Generation from Bandai Namco/AKI Corporation back when Bandai and Namco where separate and Bandai Namco is big with Shōnen Jump games.

Too bad Take 2/2K owns the WWE games as it would only dream if THQ Nordic had WWE again.

BTW the Bioware Baldur's Gate games are coming to Switch soon.: https://www.slashgear.com/enhanced-bald ... -07565027/

As for Wii U support, you are not wrong as over 300 games skipped Wii U back in the day.: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XmymKfwAteQ and mind you some of them are now on Switch shows how bad Nintendo screw up the console.

Sonicx9

Postby Sonicx9 » May 6th, 2019, 11:54 am

Speaking of 3rd party support, Capcom today announced Devil May Cry 1 for Switch.

https://nintendoeverything.com/devil-ma ... or-switch/

Only problem is they did not say if it digital only or physical release or the other sequels. But this is a step in the right direction of bringing a franchise that never been on Nintendo hardware until now.

Atariboy

Postby Atariboy » May 9th, 2019, 3:13 pm

Banjo, I've been meaning to ask if you ever post at GameFaqs. I rarely do but was pretty active in a thread about Limited Run Games releasing Axiom Verge a while back, and wondered if the Banjo I was talking to over there in that thread a few months ago was you.

As for Devil May Cry on the Switch, I thought I read at NintendoLife that it was confirmed as a digital exclusive. Disappointing for Switch fans if I read the headline right (And if it even applies to North America; NintendoLife is European based), but at least Capcom is improving after becoming nearly a digital exclusive publisher a few years ago.

Other than cartridge costs on the Switch that seem to discourage them more often than not, they seem to realize a lot of their fanbase appreciates physical releases and have backtracked on that digital initiative on Sony and Microsoft systems in a big way. I've bought several Capcom games this gen and I believe that other than a couple of compilations like the Disney Afternoon Collection, they've all been on physical disc.

Much better than the second half or so of the PS3/360 era, where it seemed like virtually everything they did that caught my eye was announced as a download exclusive. Half of my PS3 is filled with Capcom games that should've been physical releases, that I instead waited and downloaded on sale.

Sonicx9

Postby Sonicx9 » May 9th, 2019, 4:19 pm

Atariboy wrote:Banjo, I've been meaning to ask if you ever post at GameFaqs. I rarely do but was pretty active in a thread about Limited Run Games releasing Axiom Verge a while back, and wondered if the Banjo I was talking to over there in that thread a few months ago was you.

As for Devil May Cry on the Switch, I thought I read at NintendoLife that it was confirmed as a digital exclusive. Disappointing for Switch fans if I read the headline right (And if it even applies to North America; NintendoLife is European based), but at least Capcom is improving after becoming nearly a digital exclusive publisher a few years ago.

Other than cartridge costs on the Switch that seem to discourage them more often than not, they seem to realize a lot of their fanbase appreciates physical releases and have backtracked on that digital initiative on Sony and Microsoft systems in a big way. I've bought several Capcom games this gen and I believe that other than a couple of compilations like the Disney Afternoon Collection, they've all been on physical disc.

Much better than the second half or so of the PS3/360 era, where it seemed like virtually everything they did that caught my eye was announced as a download exclusive. Half of my PS3 is filled with Capcom games that should've been physical releases, that I instead waited and downloaded on sale.

One thing I hope for DMC series on Switch in the future is if it sells well on Switch we may get DMC2 and 3 and maybe a trilogy pack with all games on 1 16GB card down the road. Also would love The Disney Afternoon Collection on Switch and maybe physical someday. In fact go to Capcom Unity for your request if you want it.

Sonicx9

Postby Sonicx9 » June 11th, 2019, 4:12 pm

The biggest 3rd party dev surprise jumps on the Switch bandwagon thanks to The Witcher 3: Wild Hunt — Complete Edition being announced aka "But Can It Run Crysis" of the Nintendo Switch for a ultra demanding game that people were shocked to see up and running on the Switch.

Sonicx9

Postby Sonicx9 » October 8th, 2019, 11:49 pm

Sonicx9 wrote:
Will Techland be next? Only time will tell.

Ironically it might happen thanks to this ESRB leak: https://www.esrb.org/ratings/36612/Call ... nslinger+/

Also a badly kept secret that has been referenced from time to time so it all but confirmed.

Will Dying Light hit Switch someday, only time will tell.

Frostbite engine exposed!

Return to “Modern Gaming”