Avengers Endgame Movie

Talk about music, movies, television, books, and other media. No religious or political discussion allowed.
VideoGameCritic
Site Admin

Avengers Endgame Movie

Postby VideoGameCritic » April 28th, 2019, 6:28 pm

Caution - this thread may contain spoilers.

So I'm not a huge superhero movie fan, but I have seen about half of the Marvel movies to come out over the last ten years or so. I saw Avengers Endgame last night, mainly because free tickets.

I didn't think Infinity Wars was that great. I thought it was too serious. Endgame was too long. They should have broken it up into two movies, to make a trilogy.

Endgame's ending(s) reminded me of Lord of the Rings! I really don't think this movie had to be three hours. It starts off sooooo slllloww. When it does get traction it's exciting and often funny - although I did I failed to "get" a lot of the insider jokes (I heard other people laughing). I guess it was mainly a movie for the die-hard fans.

I recently saw a YouTube video by the Angry Video Game Nerd saying he doesn't really enjoy these Avenger ensemble movies but he's not sure why. I think I'm in the same boat. The fact that this movie is breaking box office records baffles me.

Thoughts?

Stalvern

Re: Avengers Endgame Movie

Postby Stalvern » April 28th, 2019, 7:09 pm

There's a million of them, and they all basically follow the same formula. Big, loud action scenes, quippy dialogue, and a dash of melodrama and intrigue. It's a combination that I enjoyed in the original Iron Man but grew weary of in Avengers, and I hadn't even seen the movies between them. Any taste that I once had for it has been crushed by the constant, inescapable presence of the MCU in the past decade of pop culture. The Thanos stinger in the credits of Avengers was when I checked out; it was the moment when I knew that this machine would never be turned off. As long as they have the brand and the formula, people will buy it like they buy Big Macs and Coca-Cola.
Last edited by Stalvern on April 29th, 2019, 1:35 am, edited 1 time in total.

Voor

Postby Voor » April 29th, 2019, 12:05 am

They are good and entertaining movies, but not works of art. The problem is that they over saturated the market and it’s hard to get pumped up for them. Another franchise, cough, Star Wars, cough, has done the same thing.

Endgame will break records, because after 20+ movies, most people are so invested in it, they feel like have to see the finale.

My favorite was probably Dr Strange.

VideoGameCritic
Site Admin

Postby VideoGameCritic » April 29th, 2019, 7:32 pm

Stupid articles like this make me hate the internet. C'MON NOW.

"Woman Hospitalized After ‘Avengers: Endgame’ For Hyperventilating, Which Is Quite Understandable"
https://www.yahoo.com/entertainment/wom ... 26216.html

Stalvern

Postby Stalvern » April 29th, 2019, 7:49 pm

Elsewhere, NFL athlete Lesean McCoy took it upon himself to reveal a major detail to his 730,000 Twitter followers on the film’s opening day of April 26. Social media erupted over McCoy’s spoiler. The athlete misspelled a character’s name in the tweet, which allowed the spoiler to get past any censors MCU fans might have set on their web browsers.

This man is a real hero.

VideoGameCritic
Site Admin

Postby VideoGameCritic » April 29th, 2019, 8:21 pm

Clearly when people have way too much time on their hands they head straight to the internet!

Cafeman

Postby Cafeman » April 29th, 2019, 10:05 pm

The film exceeded all expectations for me. I saw it twice, felt the same about it even after the second watch. I liked the endings everybody got, even though some events were tragic. It didnt feel like 3 hours long to me. I think the Russo Brothers are the best directors of all the MCU films directors. Winter Soldier is still my favorite MCU film for now, but this film exceeds it in many ways, and is something new, it's unlike any other film or film series ending I've seen. Just my brief take, 10 / 10.

newmodelarmy

Postby newmodelarmy » April 30th, 2019, 5:52 am

I liked the movie but I have really low expectations. I enjoyed them exploring the "human" element of these superheroes but the movie was just too long! I thought the scene with Hawkeye in Japan was completely pointless (that's 10 minutes right there!).

Overall I found a lot to like in all of these MCU movies over the past 11 years or so. I would rate the original Iron Man and Captain America: Winter Solder as my favorites.

Of course there is a ton not to like as well. Black Panther has to be the most overrated movie of all time. The fact that was nominated for best picture just shows you the sorry state of affairs in Hollywood. I found the movie down right insulting but that is all I will say about that.

Totally burned out on superhero movies which is why I could not bring myself to see Shazaam despite the general positive reviews.

BlasteroidAli

Postby BlasteroidAli » May 3rd, 2019, 6:52 am

I was really upset that Judge Dred was not in the movie. That is the last time I watch an Avengers movie.

red_curry_paste

Postby red_curry_paste » May 3rd, 2019, 9:32 am

Fiancee and I don't often go to the movies, but I insisted upon seeing Endgame on the big screen.

After the movie, I quipped to her, "I can't imagine a better superhero movie." Even after a few days, I have the same thought. Not going to win any awards as a film in and of itself, but you can't ask for more in a superhero movie.

I didn't see every Marvel film that's come out - as others have pointed out, there are just too many - but I've seen most, and felt this was more than a fitting conclusion. Looking forward to seeing where they go from here.

Return to “Other Media”