VGC Top 20 List - Sports Genre

General and high profile video game topics.
Marriott_Guy

VGC Top 20 List - Sports Genre

Postby Marriott_Guy » May 4th, 2019, 12:40 pm

Dave.

I know you made a Baseball Feature page, but it might be worth a look to make a VGC Top 20 Games for a specific sport. This could be a seasonal offering (which fits into your wheelhouse), as well as gives the clones a good overview of the best respective sport titles available through the various generations of systems. Though not a huge sports title gamer, I know that I perused your site for the best grades for each genre before purchasing a title. This would be pretty easy to generate / update down the road, much like your Halloween Special and the like. Just a thought that may be something the community would find useful. Plus, everyone likes Top XX lists :)

Terry

VideoGameCritic
Site Admin

Re: VGC Top 20 List - Sports Genre

Postby VideoGameCritic » May 4th, 2019, 1:58 pm

Terry,
This is a terrific idea and I intend to take you up on it!
I can already name the top games in several sports off the top of my head.
The others may require some soul searching.
Thanks
VGC

VideoGameCritic
Site Admin

Postby VideoGameCritic » May 4th, 2019, 5:38 pm

So I'm putting together a list of all the sports I want to include. What am I missing?

Baseball
Football (pro)
College football
Basketball (pro)
College basketball
Soccer
Hockey
Bowling
Volleyball
Tennis
Golf

pacman000

Postby pacman000 » May 4th, 2019, 6:04 pm

Track & Field games, like Activision Decathlon.

Maybe select fighting games, like boxing games. Depends on the setting. (If it's set in an arena it's probably a sport.)

VideoGameCritic
Site Admin

Postby VideoGameCritic » May 4th, 2019, 6:59 pm

Good call. New additions:

Track and Field
Boxing
Auto Racing

CharlieR

Postby CharlieR » May 4th, 2019, 9:29 pm

I’m a huge fan of basketball games, so I’d love to see that list. Soccer and hockey games can be fun.

The one “sport” that came to mind that hasn’t been mentioned is wrestling.

Voor

Postby Voor » May 4th, 2019, 10:20 pm

I vote for WindJammers (neogeo) for #1 extreme frisbee sport.

Stalvern

Postby Stalvern » May 5th, 2019, 4:02 am

Voor wrote:I vote for WindJammers (neogeo) for #1 extreme frisbee sport.

Imaginary future sports is a good category. My offhand suggestions are Ballblazer and Tron: Deadly Discs.

Speedball 2: Brutal Deluxe (Genesis, ported from Amiga) is a really good example that could use a review here. The American version doesn't have music, but the later Japanese release does. (The substantially weaker original Speedball is available on the Master System; it was only released in Europe, but it apparently adjusts its own speed if played on an American console.)

noah98

Postby noah98 » May 5th, 2019, 7:41 am

I was thinking about suggesting this last week after seeing the new 16 bit basketball reviews! I actually just bought NBA Live 95, Coach K Basketball, Wimbledon Tennis, and NFL 94 for the Sega Genesis ($1 each) thanks to this site. The great thing about retro sports titles is that they are soo cheap, and usually better than the modern sports games that forgot about actually being fun.

I think for each sport you should actually rank the top games. I imagine Realsports Baseball for the 5200 will rank pretty high! So many great baseball games, it will be interesting to see what makes your cut. I personally like the original Ken Griffey Jr. for SNES, Bad News Baseball (NES), Baseball Stars (NES), RBI Baseball (PC Engine), Sports Talk Baseball (Genesis), and all of the NEO GEO baseball games.

I still think that Tecmo Super Bowl and NBA Jam TE (snes versions) are the elite representations of their sports. Same for NHL '94 (Genesis), Blades of Steel (NES), and Ice Hockey (NES and 2600).

It would be cool to have a category for sports like Dodgeball. The NES version is a classic, and I recently picked up the PC Engine version and it's pretty great too and cheap.

Retro STrife

Postby Retro STrife » May 6th, 2019, 9:05 am

How about sports like skiing, snowboarding, skateboarding, etc.? Or just combine it into "winter extreme sports" and "summer extreme sports", or something like that.

I'd also be interested to see one *overall* Top 20 for sports games, that considers all the different types of sports together.

Return to “Video Games General”