Saturn Virtua Fighter?

Reserved for classic gaming discussions.
Stalvern

Re: Saturn Virtua Fighter?

Postby Stalvern » May 8th, 2019, 3:55 pm

jon wrote:The first time anyone made truly 3d games was the Model 2 in 93'-94'.

http://youtube.com/watch?v=gmvWxG2zvs8

GTS

Postby GTS » May 8th, 2019, 5:38 pm

What doomed the initial release of VF on the Saturn was the surprise, early launch of the Saturn. The same thing happened with Clockwork Knight. Both games were forced out the door before the programmers were finished with them.

jon

Postby jon » May 9th, 2019, 4:50 pm

I think that’s true. They came out in mid ‘95 and if I recall correctly, I was very much into the mags at this point, I think everyone knew that the Saturn was getting substandard ports. Especially with the PS1 being dominant and the N64, I’m surprised the Saturn had as much success in the United States as it did. Obviously it was a hit in Japan but I think I sold a decent amount perhaps 10-20 Saturns. And may have made a profit stateside. At the moment in ‘97 I had no idea they had so many 2d shmups and other 2d games. They had the bundle deal in ‘97 with Daytona Virtua cop 2 and there was another it may have been VF2 but I’m not sure.

ThePixelatedGenocide

Postby ThePixelatedGenocide » May 10th, 2019, 8:23 am

The bundle deal was Virtua Cop, Daytona, and Virtua Fighter 2, plus a demo disk.

The first true 3d game is either the first wireframe game to set co-ordinates and gameplay in three dimensional space, the first filled polygon game, or the first VR game, depending on your definition of the terms. But each one happened before Virtua Fighter.

There was a cost to this - the Saturn Eternal Darkness game was forever buried by the Saturn/Arcade VF crew out of anger at the 32X VF.

I know this is just a typo, but I'd love to play a survival horror version of Eternal Champions, modeled after ED's design. The storyline is already perfect for skipping between time periods, and we never got a definitive answer on who actually won the thing. It can't be worse than the spin-offs they actually gave us.

MSR1701

Postby MSR1701 » May 10th, 2019, 3:43 pm

Ack, yes i meant Eternal Champions...

Return to “Classic Gaming”