Happy 20th anniversary!

Let me know what you think about my reviews.
Stalvern

Happy 20th anniversary!

Postby Stalvern » May 15th, 2019, 11:56 pm

Just saw the new banner. Congratulations on making it twenty years! How many other websites from 1999 are around now at all, never mind still regularly updated? And how many people in 2019 are setting up actual websites of their own instead of just posting their opinions on a blog (or Twitter)? This site is deeply valuable today, a place where a paragraph of some guy's idle thoughts about Rocky Rodent is less disposable than the most passionately argued million-word think piece on Medium. There's a world of garbage out there to be forgotten in two weeks, let alone two decades, but this website will only mean more and more. Thanks for sticking it out this long, and good luck with whatever the next twenty years bring.
Last edited by Stalvern on May 16th, 2019, 7:13 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Retro STrife

Re: Happy 20th anniversary!

Postby Retro STrife » May 16th, 2019, 5:56 pm

Well said, Stalvern. I share the same thoughts. Not many websites still exist today that were around in 1999, let alone a one-man show like this one, and still being updated multiple times a week.

I feel like it's been around 15 years now that I've been coming here. In that time, it's crazy how much the VGC reviews have influenced my collection, and I'm sure many here can relate. For the more obscure systems, like Vectrex or 3DO, my entire collection might be based on VGC reviews, because of the scarcity of reviews elsewhere on the internet. It's a real service to retro gamers and not sure what to do without it.

VideoGameCritic
Site Admin

Postby VideoGameCritic » May 16th, 2019, 7:32 pm

Actually I didn't plan to feature the anniversary banner until June, but apparently it's in the regular rotation now. That's cool. It'll be featured more prominently over the summer. Thanks to Mark Jewell for putting together such a festive new banner.

I appreciate the kind words but it's really been a two-way street. I get a lot of energy from readers who are always suggesting games I didn't know about, or telling me things I never knew. There's been a lot of valuable history discussed and knowledge imparted on these forums over the years. Also can't forget the crew of moderators who put in their own time and effort to keep these boards running. I don't think I would have lasted long without them.

I do agree that there aren't many sites left from the last century! This is truly old school.

Gentlegamer

Postby Gentlegamer » May 16th, 2019, 7:40 pm

VideoGameCritic wrote:I do agree that there aren't many sites left from the last century! This is truly old school.

Here's one: https://www.spacejam.com/archive/spacejam/movie/jam.htm

ThePixelatedGenocide

Postby ThePixelatedGenocide » May 18th, 2019, 8:25 am

Congratulations, critic! I think you might be the world record holder for most reviews written by a single videogame critic. At least, the most reviews worth actually reading. And the mostly positive community grown here, reflects well on you, and everyone who volunteered their time over the years.

Now, about those Gameboy reviews... ;p

pacman000

Postby pacman000 » May 18th, 2019, 9:01 am

Happy Anniversary, Critic! And I hope it lasts another 20 years. :D

Too many sites are a shadow of their former selves, or just gone. Badmovies.org stopped updating; StompTokyo barely works; hanks for keeping this one alive.

Buttermancan

Postby Buttermancan » May 23rd, 2019, 6:18 am

Wow, congratulations on making it to 20 years. It's quite inspiring!
Thanks for all the content and hard work. You've been prolific!

Gentlegamer

Postby Gentlegamer » May 23rd, 2019, 3:52 pm

It's been 20 years, now it's time for Video Game Mania X: The Final Chapter

VideoGameCritic
Site Admin

Postby VideoGameCritic » May 23rd, 2019, 8:05 pm

This one would have to be a battle to the death!

pacman000

Postby pacman000 » May 23rd, 2019, 11:08 pm

In other news Excite finally redid their layout: http://www.excite.com

They also got rid of their comics section. :(

Return to “Review Feedback”