Favorite console gen graphic leaps.

General and high profile video game topics.
Sonicx9

Re: Favorite console gen graphic leaps.

Postby Sonicx9 » May 23rd, 2019, 2:47 am

ThePixelatedGenocide wrote:More comparisons? Sure. Might take a while to find all the games needed, but...

Starting with 5th generation 3d vs. the kind of 3d it replaced...

The PS1, Saturn, and N64 are all underrated.

Good one.

ThePixelatedGenocide

Postby ThePixelatedGenocide » May 23rd, 2019, 7:08 pm

Sorry for taking so long to get these out. It took me several hours of searching to realize I wasn't going to find GIFs of sprite flicker for anything more powerful than 8-bit. So, on to the next idea: when underpowered hardware tried to simulate reality.

Sure, digitized sprite graphics look like a bad cut and paste Monty Python skit now. But at the time? Without the ability to render accurate light and shadow textures? You can see why some people thought they were the best graphics would ever get. Also, here's the RCA Studio 2 attempting a baseball game.

Or it could be a lone Jedi facing down three tie interceptors, and somehow scoring an F rank, despite all the cover offered. On the far right, 2 droids (A10 and A01 are listed by name because the system ran out of graphics) keep track of the points scored and boo the player. But it'd take until Berzerk (1980) before robots could actually verbally abuse us. (One of the most exciting gaming innovations at the time.)

And it'd take until Knights of the Old Republic (2003) and Portal (2007) before the robots got any good at it.
Last edited by ThePixelatedGenocide on May 23rd, 2019, 7:23 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Sonicx9

Postby Sonicx9 » May 23rd, 2019, 7:21 pm

ThePixelatedGenocide wrote:Sorry for taking so long to get these out. It took me several hours of searching to realize I wasn't going to find GIFs of sprite flicker for anything more powerful than 8-bit. So, on to the next idea: when old console games tried to be simulate reality.

Sure, digitized sprite graphics look like a bad cut and paste Monty Python skit now. But at the time? Without the ability to render accurate light and shadow textures? You can see why some people thought they were the best graphics would ever get. Also, here's the RCA Studio 2 attempting a baseball game.

Or it could be a lone Jedi facing down three tie interceptors, and somehow scoring an F rank, despite all the cover offered. On the far right, 2 droids (A10 and A01 are listed by name because the system ran out of graphics) keep track of the points and boo the player. It'd take until Berzerk (1980) before robots in a videogame could actually verbally abuse us.

That a nice example of look at the diffrence, you do not see that anymore.

ThePixelatedGenocide

Postby ThePixelatedGenocide » May 23rd, 2019, 9:14 pm

It still happens. You just need to look at the handhelds.

Welcome to Lego Silent Hill, but be careful. People often vanish in the fog, never to be seen again.

And very often before they hit the fog, because the fog does nothing to disguise their frequent pop-in. There are 3D games on the Sega Genesis with a better draw distance.

Meanwhile, here's the Switch version, which is happy to render people so far away that if you were to squint hard enough, you'd confuse them for an Atari Lynx screenshot. For the first time, it really feels like a living, breathing, Lego world.

Which is also creepy as Hell in its own way. Especially when you see them in their little plastic cars, with their blank, unchanging little plastic smile. I think this entire series is a secret Survival Horror.

Bonus comparison: the worst graphics on Nintendo Switch vs. the best graphics on N64. (Not counting deliberately bad Switch graphics, or we'd be doing comparisons for years, trying to narrow down the field.)

Ark: Survival Evolved on Switch.

ImageImageImage

Conker's Bad Fur Day on N64.

Maybe we haven't come as far as we thought?

At least, I think that's Conker's Bad Fur Day. I may have accidentally included highlights from the Switch developer's grueling interview process.:p

Sonicx9

Postby Sonicx9 » May 23rd, 2019, 9:42 pm

ThePixelatedGenocide wrote:

It still happens. You just need to look at the handhelds.

Welcome to Lego Silent Hill, but be careful. People often vanish in the fog, never to be seen again.

And very often before they hit the fog, because the fog does nothing to disguise their frequent pop-in. There are 3D games on the Sega Genesis with a better draw distance.

Meanwhile, here's the Switch version, which is happy to render people so far away that if you were to squint hard enough, you'd confuse them for an Atari Lynx screenshot. For the first time, it really feels like a living, breathing, Lego world.

Which is also creepy as Hell in its own way. Especially when you see them in their little plastic cars, with their blank, unchanging little plastic smile. I think this entire series is a secret Survival Horror.

Bonus comparison: the worst graphics on Nintendo Switch vs. the best graphics on N64. (Not counting deliberately bad Switch graphics, or we'd be doing comparisons for years, trying to narrow down the field.)

Ark: Survival Evolved on Switch.

ImageImageImage

Conker's Bad Fur Day on N64.

Maybe we haven't come as far as we thought?

At least, I think that's Conker's Bad Fur Day. I may have accidentally included highlights from the Switch developer's grueling interview process.:p

For the Lego games screenshots that Lego City Undercover: The Chase Begins for 3DS which is actually a prequel companion game to the Wii U/Switch/PS4/Xbox One Lego City Undercover with the second Lego screenshot?

As for Ark: Survival Evolved on Switch that port was an infamous dumpster fire, and you have the interview can you post a link, would love to read it? Also if you watch the Digital Foundry video: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=O6kN73PuygI the part that says it lower resolution then a Sega Mega Drive/Genesis game I think of this song: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hf1UXzrZPMM I need to make a re edit of that video with Lava Reef Zone as it goes perfectly with that video. :lol:

ThePixelatedGenocide

Postby ThePixelatedGenocide » May 24th, 2019, 6:17 am

For the Lego games screenshots that Lego City Undercover: The Chase Begins for 3DS which is actually a prequel companion game to the Wii U/Switch/PS4/Xbox One Lego City Undercover with the second Lego screenshot?

Technically, a prequel. But after spending way too much time with both, it's more like a lazy rom hack with a lot of the charm and humor missing in action. You know how some movies go for the "soft reboot", so they can technically make a sequel without actually telling a new story? Same here. Other than a few new jokes and checking mandatory plot points off of the prequel checklist, you're going to get a serious case of deja-vu. Imagine if Smash Bros 3ds was sold as a prequel to Smash Bros on Wii U, and you're not far off.

Edit: Wait. Smash Bros Wii and Smash Bros 3ds don't share all their stages. That example won't work at all.

and you have the interview can you post a link, would love to read it?

I wish. Unfortunately, I was just using the Conker screenshots to illustrate my suspicion that Studio Wildcard just hired a giant pile of crap to port Ark to the Switch. I can't actually prove that any alcohol was involved.

Anyways, onto the next comparison!

Sometimes, it's easy to forget that the 2600 was only designed to play 2 games. Pong and Combat. Everything else was essentially a generational leap inside the software itself. The VCS was only accidentally a second generation console, and none of the scanline tricks that made games like Space Invaders and Frogger possible would have happened if Atari's engineers had included a frame buffer, as originally planned.

Sonicx9

Postby Sonicx9 » May 24th, 2019, 3:10 pm

Technically, a prequel. But after spending way too much time with both, it's more like a lazy rom hack with a lot of the charm and humor missing in action. You know how some movies go for the "soft reboot", so they can technically make a sequel without actually telling a new story? Same here. Other than a few new jokes and checking mandatory plot points off of the prequel checklist, you're going to get a serious case of deja-vu. Imagine if Smash Bros 3ds was sold as a prequel to Smash Bros on Wii U, and you're not far off.

Edit: Wait. Smash Bros Wii and Smash Bros 3ds don't share all their stages. That example won't work at all.

But the weird thing is some people say the Wii U and 3DS Smash game is the same like this video is it wrong?: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FkuL1UV ... u.be&t=157

Anyways, onto the next comparison!

Sometimes, it's easy to forget that the 2600 was only designed to play 2 games. Pong and Combat. Everything else was essentially a generational leap inside the software itself. The VCS was only accidentally a second generation console, and none of the scanline tricks that made games like Space Invaders and Frogger possible would have happened if Atari's engineers had included a frame buffer, as originally planned.

That an unusual one their?

Sonicx9

Postby Sonicx9 » June 24th, 2019, 11:03 pm

A new impressive graphic leap.

Tales of Berseria PS4 looks like a HD res early PS3 game.

Tales of Arise 4 years later using they all mighty UE4 a huge night and day difference.

Unlike Rise of the Tomb Raider vs Shadow of the Tomb Raider graphic leap being rather tiny

And to add insult to injury, the former is a cross gen game with identical visuals, but the later is current gen/PC only with minimal differences WTF!

Return to “Video Games General”