Crash Bandicoot

Tell us about games you are currently playing. "Quick hit" reviews.
jon

Crash Bandicoot

Postby jon » May 23rd, 2019, 3:53 pm

I just got the first couple crash bandicoot games. I’d played them I think rented them a couple times in the 90’s and had fun so I thought it would be a blast. I’m having trouble getting motivated for this game I don’t even know what the problem is. I’ve absolutely been loving Twisted Metal 2 lately for the first time in years but o thought crash would be the same fun I’ll try it again

Retro STrife

Re: Crash Bandicoot

Postby Retro STrife » May 23rd, 2019, 5:14 pm

I played them all back in the 90s. The 3rd is easily the best in my opinion, so maybe just skip ahead to that one. Between 1 & 2, I remember liking the first one better. But they're not as strong as Crash 3.

Rev

Postby Rev » May 23rd, 2019, 10:57 pm

The first Crash is a bit different then the later games. Some big changes include:

-Duel Shock controller is not supported (I believe it's Crash 2 that has a Greatest hits version that supports it, Crash 3 fully supports it).
-The movement and controls are a bit more touchy then the previous games
-Have to complete the bonus room on a stage to get a chance to save

i replayed the game on the Crash Bandicoot Insane Trilogy on the PS4 and I couldn't get into this game. Honestly, I like the second and third games a lot more than the first. I think the stages are more well balanced and the games are setup better. You might give the second or third game a try. The second game stars Crash solely and has a lot more platformer stages, while the 3rd game has less platforming stages and a bigger mix of other gameplay styles (racing, water, flying, animal riding). Both are good. Crash 3 is my personal favorite though.

CharlieR

Postby CharlieR » May 24th, 2019, 8:04 am

yes, the save feature is what killed it for me in the first game. Also, it is harder that the other two games, and the lives don't seem to rack up as easily, so you'll be seeing a lot of game overs. I have the n.sane trilogy on Switch and the save feature is improved.

I'm going through the first game on the n.sane trilogy, and I've been stuck on The High Road for quite some time, and I've been seeing a lot of game overs.

The second and third game are both great games. The third one is better and has a bigger variety of levels, and you get power ups after beating bosses.

pacman000

Postby pacman000 » May 25th, 2019, 9:54 am

You can always play the 1st level over & over again to rack up lives. Might be boring, but it works.

The 1st game has a lower frame rate than the other two; that might make it harder.

VideoGameCritic
Site Admin

Postby VideoGameCritic » May 25th, 2019, 10:54 am

Are you playing the original games on a CRT TV? We really should come up with a term describing playing these games in their original, purest form (like the way they call it "neat" when you drink bourbon straight).

I'll never forget the first time I played this. When you walk "into" the jungle it just looks like the scenery is enveloping you from the sides - I wasn't used to such an effective 3D platformer.

I also remember lending this game to a "friend" who couldn't seem to find the time to return it. One day I asked him to drop it off on the way to work, and he said it "was like a mile out of his way". Jerk.

Return to “Now Playing”