What if AMD stuck with Nintendo and Nvidia never partnered with them?

Reserved for modern gaming discussions.
Sonicx9

What if AMD stuck with Nintendo and Nvidia never partnered with them?

Postby Sonicx9 » May 27th, 2019, 8:55 pm

I ask because many rumors have it that the Atari VCS aka Ataribox and Google Stadia where both created because AMD was betrayed by Nintendo in favor of Nvidia, and AMD wanted revenge on Nintendo so they went to Atari and Google as their revenge strategy as both use AMD. Note: Google Stadia is powered by AMD even though it cloud streaming. In fact according to one website AMD did make prototypes before being dumped: https://wccftech.com/rumor-nintendos-ne ... g-process/

Also would have the AMD Adreno 420 been better then the Tegra X1 or worse?

I also am going to make a seperate thread on Imagination Technologies aka VideoLogic future now that they have been dumped by Apple using in house GPUs as that what keeped that company alive for all these years after failed systems like Dreamcast and PS Vita.

DrLitch

Re: What if AMD stuck with Nintendo and Nvidia never partnered with them?

Postby DrLitch » May 28th, 2019, 8:27 am

AMD forms the processing front end of the hardware on the Xbox and PS4. The Switch doing so well is an anomaly particularly considering it could potentially outsell the PS4 once this generation is done with. I think it has already outsold the Xbox in total sales.

To your question, the Nvidia Tegra XI is an awesome chip. AMD, as things stood at the time, were not well suited to the portable end of the market. Their Polaris architecture was power hungry, not good at all for a "quasi portable" device like the Switch. That said, at the time, I do not know how well developed the Vega 8/11 APU's were - ideas on a blackboard or latter phase of R&D? I presume the latter. These APU's operate with very nice power constraints and performance wise, the Vega 11 on the Ryzen 5 2400G is tremendously more powerful the Tegra XI. This chip debuted in Spring of 2018, about a year after the launch of the Switch. Had this chip been on the Switch, AAA titles would come out on the console same time as PS4/Xbox with developer having a much easier time porting without cutting anything out.

If you invest in stocks I highly recommend you invest in AMD right now. Their upcoming Ryzen Zen 2 CPU's are lining up to give Intel a massive come to Jesus moment. AMD, from what I heard, have a monster GPU lined up for the PS5 with Ray Tracing ability beyond the $1200 and $2500 RTX 2080Ti and Titan RTX respectively (although from a rasterization perspective it is not quite as capable). If true, for the first time since the launch of Xbox360, there will be a console on the market that will, for a short time, be beyond an average person's economic ability to match up to or better with a PC. Exciting times with AMD right in the middle of it, Intel and Nvidia more influential in PC/laptop market, although that dominance is going to be challenged.....

Sonicx9

Re: What if AMD stuck with Nintendo and Nvidia never partnered with them?

Postby Sonicx9 » May 28th, 2019, 11:45 am

DrLitch wrote:AMD forms the processing front end of the hardware on the Xbox and PS4. The Switch doing so well is an anomaly particularly considering it could potentially outsell the PS4 once this generation is done with. I think it has already outsold the Xbox in total sales.

To your question, the Nvidia Tegra XI is an awesome chip. AMD, as things stood at the time, were not well suited to the portable end of the market. Their Polaris architecture was power hungry, not good at all for a "quasi portable" device like the Switch. That said, at the time, I do not know how well developed the Vega 8/11 APU's were - ideas on a blackboard or latter phase of R&D? I presume the latter. These APU's operate with very nice power constraints and performance wise, the Vega 11 on the Ryzen 5 2400G is tremendously more powerful the Tegra XI. This chip debuted in Spring of 2018, about a year after the launch of the Switch. Had this chip been on the Switch, AAA titles would come out on the console same time as PS4/Xbox with developer having a much easier time porting without cutting anything out.

If you invest in stocks I highly recommend you invest in AMD right now. Their upcoming Ryzen Zen 2 CPU's are lining up to give Intel a massive come to Jesus moment. AMD, from what I heard, have a monster GPU lined up for the PS5 with Ray Tracing ability beyond the $1200 and $2500 RTX 2080Ti and Titan RTX respectively (although from a rasterization perspective it is not quite as capable). If true, for the first time since the launch of Xbox360, there will be a console on the market that will, for a short time, be beyond an average person's economic ability to match up to or better with a PC. Exciting times with AMD right in the middle of it, Intel and Nvidia more influential in PC/laptop market, although that dominance is going to be challenged.....

It does seem like Nvidia Tegra was better suited then AMD tech for portable use especially with the ARM CPU witch are more like retro consoles aka proprietary hardware similar to the Motorola 68000 days as a old Neogaf thread said ARM is the modern day equivalent to Motorola 68000 in all but name, awsome.

Return to “Modern Gaming”