2019/5/30: Game Boy: Super Mario Land, Duck Tales

Let me know what you think about my reviews.
GTS

Re: 2019/5/30: Game Boy: Super Mario Land, Duck Tales

Postby GTS » June 2nd, 2019, 5:05 pm

Nice reviews, but the stretched screenshots are driving me crazy.

Paul Campbell

Postby Paul Campbell » June 3rd, 2019, 10:07 am

I like SML, but it isn't nearly worthy of the precious A+. When you play 6 Golden Coins, which feels like it's from a future Gameboy generation, you'll have to either drop SML into the B range, or give it your first ever A+++. I seriously think you are going to have a situation on your hands. It makes SML look and feel like an early tech demo. I mostly like the music of the game. The physics feel weird, and weren't condusive to the tiny, blurry screen at the time. Mario jumps and falls way too fast, something that was perfectly fixed in 6 Golden Coins. The fireball hitting the ground once and then soaring into oblivion always felt like they didn't know how to make it bounce properly in the programming, and so did the next best thing. Looking back at this game when the later Gameboy stuff came out, like SML2 and Metroid 2, really showed how they truly began to figure out the peak abilities of the hardware later on. Good game, but you must have just come off playing a portable Bubsy to feel it deserves an A+. :)

ThePixelatedGenocide

Postby ThePixelatedGenocide » June 7th, 2019, 6:12 am

Agreed on the stretched screenshots, and I've complained about it before, but we seem stuck with them.

I really miss the days when the screenshots were still useful.

MSR1701

Postby MSR1701 » June 7th, 2019, 9:37 am

ThePixelatedGenocide wrote:Agreed on the stretched screenshots, and I've complained about it before, but we seem stuck with them.

I really miss the days when the screenshots were still useful.

I am curious what you mean by when the screen shots were still useful. Could you please clarify?

ThePixelatedGenocide

Postby ThePixelatedGenocide » June 7th, 2019, 9:42 am

When I look at the screenshots, I'm appraising the developers' skills at making the most of the limited hardware. Often, they had to make severe compromises around pixel counts. Especially for ports.

Exaggerating those compromises to the point of parody? It really makes it difficult to appreciate what I'm looking at, especially if I'm in a hurry.

MSR1701

Postby MSR1701 » June 7th, 2019, 9:49 am

Ah, I can appreciate that.

When it comes to older portables, I'm used to the screen shots being warped, especially after playing the GBA SP with classic games... The fun part is factoring in the classic portable system screen blur into the mental image at seeing the images...

jon

Postby jon » March 27th, 2020, 7:56 pm

I've been playing the first 2 and Super Mario Land is really fun. Maybe not the best game but perfect for the Game Boy, which I always thought of as being simple gaming. 6 Golden Coins however, I'm having a hard time getting motivated for. There's all sorts of branching paths and stuff that makes the game really complicated. It's like another Super Mario Bros. 3 or Super Mario World. That's not what I was hoping for.

LoganRuckman

Postby LoganRuckman » March 27th, 2020, 11:31 pm

I really love the SML review. It's nice to see someone appreciate this game in an age where it receives a lot of criticism.

Super Mario Land 2 is even better, and by a long shot too. Can't wait for the day you finally review it. And Wario Land.

But seriously, SML2 is an A+ game all the way.

jon

Postby jon » March 28th, 2020, 12:17 am

I have no doubt 6 Golden Coins is great. It's kind of a different subgenre. I just read that the makers of 6 Golden Coins wanted to do something way different than SML 1 and wanted it to be like Super Mario Bros. 3 and Super Mario World. I'm sure it's great like those games, but there's a ton of exploration and taking your time whereas with SML 1 it's faster paced. I personally just can't get into SMB 3 and SMW anymore. I'm not into these 2d exploration games anymore. There's hubs and secret levels, and it's just a totally different kind of game.

Return to “Review Feedback”