Games you where shocked the critic gave high grade despite it reception and/or controversy surrounding it?

General and high profile video game topics.
Sonicx9

Games you where shocked the critic gave high grade despite it reception and/or controversy surrounding it?

Postby Sonicx9 » June 3rd, 2019, 11:54 pm

My vote is Yooka-Laylee where despite getting mixed to somewhat negative reviews, namily the infamous Jim Sterling 2/10 review, but he also is not a fan of the Unity game engine and calls it a crappy engine thanks to shovelware junk that comes from it, and the now infamous JonTron situation controversy where people went on a Periphery Hatedom on Yooka-Laylee all because of that situation. The critic gave it a B- which I think is rather generous when you consider both the mixed reviews and the controversy surrounding the game.

Any other games you where shocked the critic gave high grade despite it reception and/or controversy surrounding it? I am sure their are more but this one comes on the top of my head, or is Yooka-Laylee overhated and underrated?

Stalvern

Re: Games you where shocked the critic gave high grade despite it reception and/or controversy surrounding it?

Postby Stalvern » June 4th, 2019, 2:47 am

I hear he's a fan of Night Trap.

Voor

Re: Games you where shocked the critic gave high grade despite it reception and/or controversy surrounding it?

Postby Voor » June 4th, 2019, 4:28 am

Bloodbourne?

Personally, I loved Roadrash 64, which I believe he gave an F. Oh well, sometimes the Critic is wrong. Haha.

Sonicx9

Postby Sonicx9 » June 4th, 2019, 12:05 pm

Stalvern wrote:I hear he's a fan of Night Trap.

A good example of both reception and controversy all in one.

Sonicx9

Postby Sonicx9 » June 4th, 2019, 12:06 pm

Voor wrote:Bloodbourne?

Personally, I loved Roadrash 64, which I believe he gave an F. Oh well, sometimes the Critic is wrong. Haha.

Those examples are lower scores I was talking about games you where shocked the critic gave high grade despite it reception and/or controversy surrounding it?

mbd36

Postby mbd36 » June 4th, 2019, 12:45 pm

Sonicx9 wrote:My vote is Yooka-Laylee where despite getting mixed to somewhat negative reviews, namily the infamous Jim Sterling 2/10 review, but he also is not a fan of the Unity game engine and calls it a crappy engine thanks to shovelware junk that comes from it, and the now infamous JonTron situation controversy where people went on a Periphery Hatedom on Yooka-Laylee all because of that situation. The critic gave it a B- which I think is rather generous when you consider both the mixed reviews and the controversy surrounding the game.

Any other games you where shocked the critic gave high grade despite it reception and/or controversy surrounding it? I am sure their are more but this one comes on the top of my head, or is Yooka-Laylee overhated and underrated?

So... Is Yooka Laylee mostly trashed for political reasons or is it actually that bad? I ignore modern games for the most part so I've never played it.

Sonicx9

Postby Sonicx9 » June 4th, 2019, 1:07 pm

mbd36 wrote:
Sonicx9 wrote:My vote is Yooka-Laylee where despite getting mixed to somewhat negative reviews, namily the infamous Jim Sterling 2/10 review, but he also is not a fan of the Unity game engine and calls it a crappy engine thanks to shovelware junk that comes from it, and the now infamous JonTron situation controversy where people went on a Periphery Hatedom on Yooka-Laylee all because of that situation. The critic gave it a B- which I think is rather generous when you consider both the mixed reviews and the controversy surrounding the game.

So... Is Yooka Laylee mostly trashed for political reasons or is it actually that bad? I ignore modern games for the most part so I've never played it.

A combination of both reason depending on the individual, an example of a video trashing the game fro the JonTron situation: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bgrRjo3Wdcg and people that hated the game based on video reviews/impressions: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=T8Jzloqqe2s and https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EeU1bSsLerM and this infamous review: https://web.archive.org/web/20171109025 ... lee-review. That is why I consider Yooka-Laylee a games you where shocked the critic gave high grade despite it reception and/or controversy surrounding it game, The fact he gave the game a surprisingly high B- score and is not aware of either it reception or controversy is mind boggling. You think it would have gotten a lower score based on the two things surrounding the game as a whole.

mbd36

Postby mbd36 » June 4th, 2019, 2:00 pm

Sonicx9 wrote:
mbd36 wrote:

A combination of both reason depending on the individual, an example of a video trashing the game fro the JonTron situation: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bgrRjo3Wdcg and people that hated the game based on video reviews/impressions: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=T8Jzloqqe2s and https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EeU1bSsLerM and this infamous review: https://web.archive.org/web/20171109025 ... lee-review. That is why I consider Yooka-Laylee a games you where shocked the critic gave high grade despite it reception and/or controversy surrounding it game, The fact he gave the game a surprisingly high B- score and is not aware of either it reception or controversy is mind boggling. You think it would have gotten a lower score based on the two things surrounding the game as a whole.

What other people think about a game should have nothing to do with your own score. Hivemind sucks.

Sonicx9

Postby Sonicx9 » June 4th, 2019, 2:04 pm

mbd36 wrote:
What other people think about a game should have nothing to do with your own score. Hivemind sucks.

What does Hivemind mean?

mbd36

Postby mbd36 » June 4th, 2019, 3:08 pm

Sonicx9 wrote:
mbd36 wrote:

What does Hivemind mean?

You know, like a beehive or ant colony where the group takes precedence over the individual. It's another term for groupthink where your stance is influenced by whatever is the consensus or popular opinion. I think that the Critic tries to avoid that and form his own opinions.

Return to “Video Games General”