I hate listening to the news. Anyone else?

Talk about music, movies, television, books, and other media. No religious or political discussion allowed.
matmico399

I hate listening to the news. Anyone else?

Postby matmico399 » June 3rd, 2019, 5:02 pm

I live with a roommate who loves watching news all night. We each have our own bedroom, but in our living room with the main TV he tends to take it over watching news most of the evening. I live in metro Atlanta and there are at least two to three murders every night and it's depressing so I don't watch it. Even national news on the major cable stations I try to avoid as the world seems to be going pretty chaotic. I don't want to be uninformed so I check the internet for the top stories. But other than that I avoid news at all cost. After about 6 p.m. I usually go into my bedroom and game or watch Netflix. Does anybody else feel the same way? Life is hectic enough so after work I just want to lose myself in a fantasy place of games and movies. By the way where the hell is Scotland one of my favorite posters? I hope he's okay.

Voor

Re: I hate listening to the news. Anyone else?

Postby Voor » June 3rd, 2019, 7:08 pm

There’s 2 types of news—the factual, depressing stuff; and the cable news stuff that is 80% gasbags voicing their opinions, some of who don’t have any actual credibility.

#1 I can handle by reading online for 10-15 minutes a day....#2 I despise (liberal and conservative alike) and think is responsible for some of our social ills.

VideoGameCritic
Site Admin

Postby VideoGameCritic » June 3rd, 2019, 8:09 pm

Every now and then I take a day or two break from the national news, and notice I typically feel better and don't really miss anything that would affect me anyway.

Part of the problem is they no longer report straight news. It's all political commentary disguised as news.

Sonicx9

Postby Sonicx9 » June 3rd, 2019, 9:30 pm

VideoGameCritic wrote:Every now and then I take a day or two break from the national news, and notice I typically feel better and don't really miss anything that would affect me anyway.

Part of the problem is they no longer report straight news. It's all political commentary disguised as news.

Blame the current SJW movement.

ActRaiser

Postby ActRaiser » June 3rd, 2019, 9:48 pm

I pretty much only try to catch the news for the weather, ie, is it going to snow or rain? Outside of that news.google.com can keep me up to date without too much to it.

Similarly, I used to listen to NPR on my commute for the news. I switched over to listening to books on Audio instead. I feel way more productive. Whether it's listening to a book on leadership, game development, or sci-fi I find my commute driving to be a lot more fun these days.

Alucard1191

Postby Alucard1191 » June 4th, 2019, 12:04 pm

I'm a news junkie, have been since the Bush administration and the Iraq War fiasco. I worked in physical therapy on war vets, my cousin took a mortar in Iraq, I've volunteered on campaigns, etc.

I only read enough to stay informed now. I don't watch news like I used to, I can't take it. It switches between angering me and depressing me greatly, and the fact that we are the bad guys now gives me such angst I can't take it.

So yes... you're not wrong to want to avoid it. Things have been getting worse, it isn't just talking heads. The policies that the current government are doing and the way they are going about it making everything crazy, our allies don't trust us, etc. It is hard to look and not be affected.

Voor

Postby Voor » June 4th, 2019, 8:43 pm

What is SWJ movement?

I used to enjoy NPR (despite their biases), but much less so these days. I’m not sure if I changed or it did.

Sonicx9

Postby Sonicx9 » June 4th, 2019, 11:11 pm

Voor wrote:What is SWJ movement?

I used to enjoy NPR (despite their biases), but much less so these days. I’m not sure if I changed or it did.

You meant SJW, more info here: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Social_justice_warrior

newmodelarmy

Postby newmodelarmy » June 5th, 2019, 6:58 am

VideoGameCritic wrote:Every now and then I take a day or two break from the national news, and notice I typically feel better and don't really miss anything that would affect me anyway.

Absolutely 100% news. It used to be that all they did was report what happened and let you form your own opinion. Now it is just endless talking heads ramming their own views down your throats....I stopped watching the "news" years ago.

newmodelarmy

Postby newmodelarmy » June 5th, 2019, 7:00 am

Alucard1191 wrote:I'm a news junkie, have been since the Bush administration and the Iraq War fiasco. I worked in physical therapy on war vets, my cousin took a mortar in Iraq, I've volunteered on campaigns, etc.

I only read enough to stay informed now. I don't watch news like I used to, I can't take it. It switches between angering me and depressing me greatly, and the fact that we are the bad guys now gives me such angst I can't take it.

So yes... you're not wrong to want to avoid it. Things have been getting worse, it isn't just talking heads. The policies that the current government are doing and the way they are going about it making everything crazy, our allies don't trust us, etc. It is hard to look and not be affected.

Our Allies...you mean the countries we have been bailing out time and time again for the last 100 years. Who cares, we don't need them anyway. Really dude...you sure you don't work for CNN?

Return to “Other Media”