Google Stadia is Dead on Arrival!

Reserved for modern gaming discussions.
Sonicx9

Google Stadia is Dead on Arrival!

Postby Sonicx9 » June 6th, 2019, 2:18 pm

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PEEgtaeQsag

If you watch this video, and from the sound of it. The device/service is dead on arrival. I have no interest and it a hard pass.

Thoughts?

VideoGameCritic
Site Admin

Re: Google Stadia is Dead on Arrival!

Postby VideoGameCritic » June 6th, 2019, 9:45 pm

More like Dead BEFORE Arrival! I wouldn't accept this thing for free!

Sonicx9

Postby Sonicx9 » June 6th, 2019, 9:53 pm

VideoGameCritic wrote:More like Dead BEFORE Arrival! I wouldn't accept this thing for free!

Agree, the pricing model for Google Stadia is a bad scam that should be avoided at all cost. It going to crash and burn like the Ouya, only way worse.

ThePixelatedGenocide

Postby ThePixelatedGenocide » June 7th, 2019, 6:00 am

So, it's a streaming only gaming device meets Netflix meets the E-shop, with the worst aspects of each and a triple dip pricing scheme?

That's adorable. The cynical little trolls more than deserve their failure.

Crummylion

Postby Crummylion » June 7th, 2019, 8:58 am

This will be fun to play... rip data cap
https://www.pcgamer.com/stadia-4k-strea ... -65-hours/

MSR1701

Postby MSR1701 » June 7th, 2019, 1:46 pm

Anyone remember the Phantom console?

That being said, I'll stick to my Vita and emulation portable.

pacman000

Postby pacman000 » June 7th, 2019, 3:38 pm

I remember the Phantom, but I was more interested in DISCover, which actually got released on a few gaming PCs.

I can see a streaming console working if it's just downloading level packs, but I can't see a server farm successfully rendering thousands of games for thousands of players at the same time.

travistouchdown

Postby travistouchdown » June 7th, 2019, 3:47 pm

Yep. Would not take this thing for free if given to me with a years free subscription. No thanks.

Sonicx9

Postby Sonicx9 » June 7th, 2019, 4:42 pm

Response time:

ThePixelatedGenocide wrote:So, it's a streaming only gaming device meets Netflix meets the E-shop, with the worst aspects of each and a triple dip pricing scheme?

That's adorable. The cynical little trolls more than deserve their failure.

It not going to work well at all as it combines the worst of Netflix and E-shop with it own bad problems like internet lag, especially playing some of the announced fighting games like MK11, that Power Rangers games, etc.

It only works fine if you are playing online only games like Destiny 2, but even then, it not going to be ideal.

Crummylion wrote:This will be fun to play... rip data cap
https://www.pcgamer.com/stadia-4k-strea ... -65-hours/

So true, especially if you have FIOS, it will be a huge problem with the data cap issue.

MSR1701 wrote:Anyone remember the Phantom console?

Good point, except this is going to see the lite of day.

pacman000 wrote:I remember the Phantom, but I was more interested in DISCover, which actually got released on a few gaming PCs.

I can see a streaming console working if it's just downloading level packs, but I can't see a server farm successfully rendering thousands of games for thousands of players at the same time.

It going to become a laggefest mess the more that use it.

travistouchdown wrote:Yep. Would not take this thing for free if given to me with a years free subscription. No thanks.

Same thing, sticking with the Nintendo Switch.

JWK

Postby JWK » June 12th, 2019, 4:05 pm

So you guys know that I’m with you on this— I barely buy games that are digital-only anymore— but I’m gonna play devil’s advocate... just for fun.

I believe “Netflix of Gaming” is the future for the medium. I don’t want it to be, but it’s probably where the industry is headed. Microsoft’s Game Pass and Sony’s PS Now services are evidence of that. But that future isn’t now. Google has revealed that you need at least 35 mbps download speed to get to 4K/60fps and *still* that’s theoretical until we see how Google handles the extra activity on their servers, etc. I know 35 may not seem like a lot to some of you, as many areas now have 1GB download speeds, but I wouldn’t be able to make this service work, as I live on the side of a mountain. Google obviously has the resources to float this idea until everyone has faster download speeds and gamers that don’t care about collecting, physical media, reselling or gaming preservation finally decide to go all in on streaming. We may ultimately remember Google as being to early, but we’ll also remember them as the first to the party. With apologies to the now defunct OnLive, of course.

Return to “Modern Gaming”