2019/6/7: Genesis: Last Battle, Paperboy II

Let me know what you think about my reviews.
VideoGameCritic
Site Admin

2019/6/7: Genesis: Last Battle, Paperboy II

Postby VideoGameCritic » June 7th, 2019, 7:11 pm

Check out my latest set of Genesis reviews. Last Battle is a re-review. The game isn't great, but it has an innocent charm about it that I like. Paperboy II is a new review.

Sonicx9

Re: 2019/6/7: Genesis: Last Battle, Paperboy II

Postby Sonicx9 » June 7th, 2019, 9:24 pm

VideoGameCritic wrote:Check out my latest set of Genesis reviews. Last Battle is a re-review. The game isn't great, but it has an innocent charm about it that I like. Paperboy II is a new review.

Critic, do you have a Sega Genesis converter cart to play import games, because here is an easter egg put the Last Battle cart in the converter and it unlocks the original Fist of the North Star Japan version uncut as the cart has both regions encoded.

noah98

Postby noah98 » June 8th, 2019, 7:07 am

It's funny that you mention Black Belt for the Sega Master System. Black Belt and Last Battle were both Fist of the Northstar games in Japan. Black Belt was altered for the U.S. to make it more generic and not tied to the anime.

mbd36

Postby mbd36 » June 9th, 2019, 3:57 pm

One would have been tempted to buy Last Battle in 1989 just because of how good the graphics looked on the back of the box. You usually only saw sprites that big and detailed in the arcade.

I've never played, but watching a Youtube video it does look like Black Belt with upgraded graphics.

Herschie

Postby Herschie » June 10th, 2019, 12:12 am

I thought that the Paperboy 2 on the NES and SNES were atrocious. But then they released the Genesis version about half a year after the SNES, so maybe they had time to iron out the kinks.

Retro STrife

Postby Retro STrife » June 10th, 2019, 10:19 am

As a fan of the NES Paperboy growing up, I had to buy Paperboy II after reading your review. I searched it on ebay and then thought "wait, that label looks familiar..." Apparently I already own this Genesis version and didn't even realize it. I've always overlooked it. But thanks for the heads up - gonna try to play it soon.

bigladiesman

Postby bigladiesman » June 26th, 2019, 12:58 pm

Last Battle makes more sense when one plays the Japanese version and is familiar with Fist of the North Star. Overall, I feel it's inferior than Master System's Fist of the North Star/Black Belt.

Paperboy 2 is somewhat of a personal guilty pleasure despite being a good game. I'm not a fan of Paperboy itself, but as the Critic points out, 2 brings us a broad range of things to do just to troll the neighbours, and it turns out to be hilarious: I rented this one very, very often just to pre-GTA all those pesky people: the bikini chick, the robber, that guy dressed as Uncle Sam on the monocycle, the clowns, the elderly couple... It's funny to be a jerkass. Just take the music out to hear those awesome voice samples and enjoy.

Retro STrife

Postby Retro STrife » July 16th, 2019, 2:02 am

Finally got around to popping Paperboy II into my Genesis, inspired by this review. I had fun with it- this is definitely the best console version of Paperboy that I’ve played so far. It doesn’t reinvent the formula- it just enhances it. Not much is different, but I like it that way. If I’m playing for nostalgia, I’d stick with the NES version that I grew up on. If I’m playing for fun, I’d choose this again. Thanks for the tip.

Return to “Review Feedback”