Konami planing a TurboGrafx-16 Mini!

General and high profile video game topics.
Atariboy

Re: Konami planing a TurboGrafx-16 Mini!

Postby Atariboy » June 13th, 2019, 4:14 pm

Konami has a history of hiring M2 for their emulation needs, so hopefully that practice continues.

Sonicx9

Postby Sonicx9 » June 13th, 2019, 9:17 pm

Atariboy wrote:Konami has a history of hiring M2 for their emulation needs, so hopefully that practice continues.

Would not be surprise.

MSR1701

Postby MSR1701 » June 14th, 2019, 8:19 am

Here's a prediction list of what I am guessing will be on the system; I'm assuming only 35 games, though I would love the count to match Sega's mini offering...

Alien Crush
Air Zonk
Blazing Lasers
Bomberman
Bonk I
Bonk II
Bonk III
China Warrior
Devil's Crush
Dungeon Explorer
Double Dungeon
Dragon Spirit
Dracula X
Galaga 88/90
Gate of Thunder
Legend of Hero Tonma
Legendary Axe
Legendary Axe II
Lords of Thunder
Military Madness
Neutopia
Neutopia II
New Adventure Island
Ninja Spirit
Power Golf
R-Type
Samurai Ghost
Soldier Blade
Shockman
TV Sports Basketball
TV Sports Football
TV Sports Hockey
Victory Run
Vigilante
Ys Book I and II

Now for what I would want to have but will not get my hopes up...

Cosmic Fantasy II
Cotton Fantastic Night Dreams
Dai Makaimura
Darius Plus
Dragon Slayer - The Legend of Heroes
Dungeon Master
Exile
Exile II
Garō Densetsu Special
Jim Power
Lemmings
Popful Mail (VERY wishful thinking...)
Raiden
SimEarth
Street Fighter II'
Turrican
Valis II
Valis III
Ys III - Wanderers from Ys

Sonicx9

Postby Sonicx9 » June 14th, 2019, 12:27 pm

MSR1701 wrote:Here's a prediction list of what I am guessing will be on the system; I'm assuming only 35 games, though I would love the count to match Sega's mini offering...

Alien Crush
Air Zonk
Blazing Lasers
Bomberman
Bonk I
Bonk II
Bonk III
China Warrior
Devil's Crush
Dungeon Explorer
Double Dungeon
Dragon Spirit
Dracula X
Galaga 88/90
Gate of Thunder
Legend of Hero Tonma
Legendary Axe
Legendary Axe II
Lords of Thunder
Military Madness
Neutopia
Neutopia II
New Adventure Island
Ninja Spirit
Power Golf
R-Type
Samurai Ghost
Soldier Blade
Shockman
TV Sports Basketball
TV Sports Football
TV Sports Hockey
Victory Run
Vigilante
Ys Book I and II

Now for what I would want to have but will not get my hopes up...

Cosmic Fantasy II
Cotton Fantastic Night Dreams
Dai Makaimura
Darius Plus
Dragon Slayer - The Legend of Heroes
Dungeon Master
Exile
Exile II
Garō Densetsu Special
Jim Power
Lemmings
Popful Mail (VERY wishful thinking...)
Raiden
SimEarth
Street Fighter II'
Turrican
Valis II
Valis III
Ys III - Wanderers from Ys

A lot of good choices, but wait and see as we get closer to launch.

MSR1701

Postby MSR1701 » June 14th, 2019, 12:32 pm

I agree.

Have to say, I'm very hyped for this mini.

ActRaiser

Postby ActRaiser » June 14th, 2019, 1:54 pm

Yeah, you've made quite the list. Well done.

For the camp aspect of it I would love to see It Came From the Desert included. JJ & Jeff would be fun to play again. Download is a fun shooter as well. Buster Bros is another good choice.

Frankly, I'd start buying compilation disks or hardware with whatever they threw on it. They could do a whole series on FMV games, shooters, RPGs, and oddball games.

Sonicx9

Postby Sonicx9 » June 14th, 2019, 2:21 pm

Response time:

MSR1701 wrote:I agree.

Have to say, I'm very hyped for this mini.

I am somewhat hyped, but will get more when more is revealed.

ActRaiser wrote:Yeah, you've made quite the list. Well done.

For the camp aspect of it I would love to see It Came From the Desert included. JJ & Jeff would be fun to play again. Download is a fun shooter as well. Buster Bros is another good choice.

Frankly, I'd start buying compilation disks or hardware with whatever they threw on it. They could do a whole series on FMV games, shooters, RPGs, and oddball games.

Who knows, also would be interesting to see how well this sells in the west namely the US version.

Sonicx9

Postby Sonicx9 » July 18th, 2019, 12:54 am

Updates: A little late, but better late than never here is the final line up of games.

US/English games

Air Zonk (1992) from Konami formally Hudson Soft HuCard
Alien Crush (1989) from Konami formerly owned by the now defunct Naxat Soft aka Kaga Create as Hudson Soft did buy a few former Naxat Soft/Kaga Create game ips from the TurboGrafx-16/PC Engine era. HuCard
Blazing Lasers (1989) from Konami formally Hudson Soft was once released in Japan under the name Gunhed as the Japanese version was actually a very loose movie tie in game for the movie named Gunhed more info here: http://blog.hardcoregaming101.net/2012/01/gunhed.html, but is now called Blazing Lasers worldwide due to licensing issues even though both have little to nothing to due with each other. HuCard
Bomberman ’93 (1993) from Konami formally Hudson Soft HuCard
Bonk’s Revenge (1991) from Konami formally Hudson Soft HuCard
Cadash (1991) from Taito (now owned by Square Enix) US TG-16 version formerly published by the now defunct Working Designs, but the translation rights where likely sold back to Taito/Square Enix after Working Designs went under, also not the first Working Designs game on the list as well as we will get to it later. HuCard
Chrew-Man-Fu (1990) from Konami formally Hudson Soft HuCard
Dungeon Explorer (1989) from Konami formally Hudson Soft HuCard
J.J. & Jeff (1990) from Konami formally Hudson Soft was once released in Japan under the name Kato-chan & Ken-chan but is now called J.J. & Jeff worldwide due to licensing issues as the Japanese game was based on the then-popular comedy television show Fun TV with Kato-chan and Ken-chan which became the bases of America's Funniest Home Videos for those that like that show. HuCard
Lords of Thunder (1993) from Konami formally Hudson Soft Super CD
Military Madness (1990) from Konami formally Hudson Soft HuCard
Moto Roader (1989) from extreme formerly published by Masaya Games/NCS with the company ip rights being taken over by extreme later on. HuCard
Neutopia (1990) from Konami formally Hudson Soft HuCard
Neutopia II (1992) from Konami formally Hudson Soft HuCard
New Adventure Island (1992) from Konami formally Hudson Soft HuCard
Ninja Spirit (1990) from Irem HuCard
Parasol Stars (1991) from Taito (now owned by Square Enix) US TG-16 version formerly published by the now defunct Working Designs, but the translation rights where likely sold back to Taito/Square Enix after Working Designs went under. HuCard
Power Golf (1989) from Konami formally Hudson Soft HuCard
Psychosis (1990) from Konami formerly owned by the now defunct Naxat Soft aka Kaga Create as Hudson Soft did buy a few former Naxat Soft/Kaga Create game ips from the TurboGrafx-16/PC Engine era. HuCard
R-Type (1989) from Irem was originally released in Japan by Hudson Soft as a two part 2 Megabit HuCards as R-Type I and R-Type II containing the first and second half depending on the game. But when it came to the US both were merged into 1 4 Megabit game as R-Type with both parts as Hudson Soft sold the two parts games to Irem and later in Japan released R-Type Complete CD based on the US version but added animated cutscenes and CD music self developed by Irem using the US version source code. HuCard
Soldier Blade (1992) from Konami formally Hudson Soft HuCard
Space Harrier (1990) from Sega formally published by NEC Avenue which later renamed to NEC Interchannel via mergers with NEC divisions only to leave NEC in 2006 to become Interchannel-Holon and later called Interchannel or InterChannel in 2008 before closing in 2013, my guess is NEC Interchannel sold the Sega games back to Sega after their license expired. HuCard
Victory Run (1989) from Konami formally Hudson Soft HuCard
Ys Book I & II (1990) from Nihon Falcom formally Hudson Soft as Nihon Falcom took over the TurboGrafx/PC Engine source code once Hudson license expired. CD

Japan Import games list Games:

Akumajou Dracula X Chi no Rondo (1993) from Konami Super CD
Aldynes (1991) from Konami formally Hudson Soft SuperGrafx HuCard
Appare! Gateball (1988) from Konami formally Hudson Soft HuCard
Bomberman ’94 (1993) from Konami formally Hudson Soft HuCard
Bomberman Panic Bomber (1994) from Konami formally Hudson Soft Super CD
Chou Aniki (1992) from extreme formerly published by Masaya Games/NCS with the company ip rights being taken over by extreme later on. Super CD
Daimakaimura (1990) from Capcom formerly published by NEC Avenue but the port is actually developed by Hudson Soft and Alfa System, later sold the port rights to Capcom after NEC Avenue license expired. SuperGrafx HuCard
Dungeon Explorer (1989) from Konami formally Hudson Soft HuCard
Fantasy Zone (1988) from Sega formally published by NEC Avenue which later renamed to NEC Interchannel via mergers with NEC divisions only to leave NEC in 2006 to become Interchannel-Holon and later called Interchannel or InterChannel in 2008 before closing in 2013, my guess is NEC Interchannel sold the Sega games back to Sega after their license expired, was released in the US. HuCard
Ginga Fukei Densetsu Sapphire (1995) from Konami formally Hudson Soft Arcade Super CD
Gradius (1991) from Konami HuCard
Gradius II: Gofer no Yabou (1992) from Konami Super CD
Jaseiken Necromancer (1988) from Konami formally Hudson Soft HuCard
The Kung Fu (1987) from Konami formally Hudson Soft aka China Warrior outside of Japan HuCard
Nectaris (1989) from Konami formally Hudson Soft aka Military Madness HuCard
Neutopia (1989) from Konami formally Hudson Soft HuCard
Neutopia II (1991) from Konami formally Hudson Soft HuCard
Ninja Ryuukenden (1992) – Japanese version of Ninja Gaiden from Koei Tecmo was formerly published by Hudson Soft who did the port, but sold it to Tecmo after Hudson Soft license expired, also Koei did publishe PC Engine games in Japan. HuCard
PC Genjin (1989) from Konami formally Hudson Soft aka Bonk's Adventure in the US or BC Kid in the PAL Region. HuCard
Salamander (1991) from Konami HuCard
Snatcher (1992) from Konami Super CD
Star Parodier (1992) from Konami formally Hudson Soft Super CD
Super Darius (1990) from Taito (now owned by Square Enix) was formerly published by NEC Avenue, but sold it back to Taito/Square Enix once the license expired CD
Super Momotaro Dentetsu II (1991) from Konami formally Hudson Soft first non-Japanese aperances of the franchise even if it only in Japanese. HuCard
Super Star Soldier (1990) from Konami formally Hudson Soft released in the US HuCard
Ys I & II (1989) from Nihon Falcom formally Hudson Soft as Nihon Falcom took over the TurboGrafx/PC Engine source code once Hudson license expired. CD

Notes: The Japan and Europe versions I am not listing the game selection as it 99% the same with the only difference being the Japanese model has Tokimeki Memorial which BTW was one of Koji Igarashi first game pre-dating Castlevania: Symphony of the Night and more recently Bloodstained: Ritual of the Night. But in exchange the US/EU systems have Salamander aka Life Force for the NES version.

Even though it a good lineup, it kind of random a mish mash of western and Japanese version even when the western version of titles exist it weird. Also some of the tex heavy import games may be hard to play unless the manual has help for the import games. Also some of the bigger supporters of the TurboGrafx-16/PC Engine family like Bandai Namco (formerly Namco or Bandai or Banpresto or any related company that did work on the TurboGrafx-16/PC Engine worldwide.) and Marvelous (owns the rights to the Pack-In-Video and Victor Musical Industries Video game dept. ips that was later named Victor Entertainment and Victor Interactive Software for Victor case.)

Also this is exclusive on Amazon for now, but other retailers may get it later on as we get closer to the release.

Thoughts?

DrLitch

Postby DrLitch » July 18th, 2019, 11:39 am

What? No Rondo for US Version?

I am really looking forward to this mini console. I never had a TG-16 and every title I have played has been via emulation.

ActRaiser

Postby ActRaiser » July 18th, 2019, 12:06 pm

DrLitch wrote:What? No Rondo for US Version?

I am really looking forward to this mini console. I never had a TG-16 and every title I have played has been via emulation.

They each come with both sets of games. You'll get roughly 50 games in total.

It's a unique solution to providing top games from both countries.

I'm in.

Return to “Video Games General”