Should Yooka-Laylee have the controversial icon or no?

General and high profile video game topics.
Buttermancan

Re: Should Yooka-Laylee have the controversial icon or no?

Postby Buttermancan » June 19th, 2019, 5:19 am

Sonicx9 wrote:
Matchstick wrote:Hate to break it to you, bud, but most of us here on the Internet just don't matter. Sure, there's plenty of talking heads on YouTube who pump out videos telling you what to think, or what to get upset or excited about, but just because they have millions of followers doesn't make their opinions any more or less important than your own. Don't let anyone else tell you what to think - think for yourself.

Me, I've barely even heard of Yooka-Laylee. Sure, I knew it was a kickstarter game, and that it involved some people that worked on Banjo-Kazooie, but outside of that I've heard nothing about it, good or bad. It didn't look like a game that I wanted to play, so I let it pass me on by. This "controversy" that you bring up just doesn't seem like that big of a deal compared to some other legitimate video game controversies over the years.

Parents horrified by the level of violence in Mortal Kombat, and how easy it was for kids of the day to be exposed to it? Doom being blamed for school shootings? Manhunt, in its earliest stages, letting you mutilate and torture other human beings in sadistic ways? Postal letting you set people on fire and even pee on them? Those are the kind of "lightning rod" games that get people talking, the kind of noise that's impossible to avoid.

A few people on the Internet wrote some articles and posted some videos about some issues with a voice actor? Big deal. Congressional hearings on the levels of violence in some games from the 90's, leading to the creation of a ratings bureau? Now *that's* some actual news! Yooka-Laylee may be controversial in its own way, but it can't hold a candle to the hubbub about Mortal Kombat or Doom back in the day. That's the kind of controversy that's transcendent, the kind that you can't avoid whether you play video games or not.

But hey, that's just my worthless Internet opinion, man 8-)

It because it something the critic is not aware of and the icon is perfect for that game.

There isn't anything controversial in the game though I believe (haven't played it). I think the game should be judged by itself separate to what happened when being produced. They hired a YouTube personality to do voice over work then removed him from the game after he made some politically incorrect comments on social media.

Voor

Postby Voor » June 19th, 2019, 7:06 am

Yep, Dave’s opinion is the only one that matters (in this particularly tiny space of the internet)

ActRaiser

Postby ActRaiser » June 19th, 2019, 7:38 am

Sonicx9 wrote:
Matchstick wrote:
Sonicx9 wrote:do YouTubers not count

They sure don't :D

Why do they not count?

It's a generational thing. I don't watch youtube videos and would have never even seen the stuff you posted about. Frankly, I don't care to spend my time watching talking heads about video games. I'd much rather play them myself if given the chance. But, then again, that's me.

I see both sides to this one. For younger folks Youtube is hugely important. For us old guys, it's non-existent; hence, why we don't care what anyone says or does on Youtube. Considering this guy has 3 million "followers" this fits up with the same level of controversies as back in the day. (which I didn't know about a few of them either). It's all about perspective. This particular controversy was large to a certain demographic that I (and am guessing most of the folks on this forum) are not a part of.

Paul Campbell

Postby Paul Campbell » June 19th, 2019, 10:56 am

Most "controversy" these days is phony outrage fueled by a handful of people with a hash tag, and is only there to draw clicks and views to websites. The quicker you ignore it, the quicker it goes away.

MSR1701

Postby MSR1701 » June 19th, 2019, 2:00 pm

Many games have controversy surrounding them, be it internal development, the publishing/marketing arm, the coders, or someone making something out of nothing. In this case, the publisher/developer made the choice to omit an online celebrity due to perceived negative feedback based on comments/actions made. Internet Trolls and Politicians aside, there are times when a game scandal or controversy are serious and need to be addressed.

To be honest, I had heard in passing of the "scandal" involving Yooka-Laylee, but had not paid any attention to it, as the article in question gave a vibe of making something bigger than the issue at hand, as well as seemingly not telling the full story. Yes, it is a sad sign of our times that someone would be pulled from a project because of speaking their minds, and it is only going to get worse.

Retro STrife

Postby Retro STrife » June 19th, 2019, 2:00 pm

I could go either way on this one - but, after seeing the other games that have received the "Controversial" icon (63 in total), I think this minor controversy with Yooka-Laylee is still notable enough to be lumped in with those other games. Borderline call that could go either way, depending on how the VGC sees it. Personally, I'd vote that it qualifies based on how the icon has been used so far.

matmico399

Postby matmico399 » June 19th, 2019, 5:20 pm

Yes Sonic we are aware the VGC is not aware of this controversy. Thank you for stating it again and again.

Sonicx9

Postby Sonicx9 » June 19th, 2019, 8:32 pm

A little late, but response time.

Buttermancan wrote:
There isn't anything controversial in the game though I believe (haven't played it). I think the game should be judged by itself separate to what happened when being produced. They hired a YouTube personality to do voice over work then removed him from the game after he made some politically incorrect comments on social media.

It controversial behind the scenes scandal that fits with the icon.

Voor wrote:Yep, Dave’s opinion is the only one that matters (in this particularly tiny space of the internet)

But it would be interesting to see what his two sense on the incident to see if it affects his grade or not.

ActRaiser wrote:
It's a generational thing. I don't watch youtube videos and would have never even seen the stuff you posted about. Frankly, I don't care to spend my time watching talking heads about video games. I'd much rather play them myself if given the chance. But, then again, that's me.

I see both sides to this one. For younger folks Youtube is hugely important. For us old guys, it's non-existent; hence, why we don't care what anyone says or does on Youtube. Considering this guy has 3 million "followers" this fits up with the same level of controversies as back in the day. (which I didn't know about a few of them either). It's all about perspective. This particular controversy was large to a certain demographic that I (and am guessing most of the folks on this forum) are not a part of.

Now in days almost anything can cause an uproar/controversy these days.

Paul Campbell wrote:Most "controversy" these days is phony outrage fueled by a handful of people with a hash tag, and is only there to draw clicks and views to websites. The quicker you ignore it, the quicker it goes away.

Hashtags love controversy, heck the upcoming Pokémon Sword and Shield game has the #BringBackNationalDex due to limitations for fans of the franchise.

MSR1701 wrote:Many games have controversy surrounding them, be it internal development, the publishing/marketing arm, the coders, or someone making something out of nothing. In this case, the publisher/developer made the choice to omit an online celebrity due to perceived negative feedback based on comments/actions made. Internet Trolls and Politicians aside, there are times when a game scandal or controversy are serious and need to be addressed.

To be honest, I had heard in passing of the "scandal" involving Yooka-Laylee, but had not paid any attention to it, as the article in question gave a vibe of making something bigger than the issue at hand, as well as seemingly not telling the full story. Yes, it is a sad sign of our times that someone would be pulled from a project because of speaking their minds, and it is only going to get worse.

It one of the main reasons why Yooka-Laylee has a big Periphery Hatedom, the other is mixed to negative reviews such as this one: https://web.archive.org/web/20170407155 ... ee-review/

Retro STrife wrote:I could go either way on this one - but, after seeing the other games that have received the "Controversial" icon (63 in total), I think this minor controversy with Yooka-Laylee is still notable enough to be lumped in with those other games. Borderline call that could go either way, depending on how the VGC sees it. Personally, I'd vote that it qualifies based on how the icon has been used so far.

True, it all depends on Dave the Video Game Critic, should I message him/email to see if it worthy of the icon, or wait for a response.

matmico399 wrote:Yes Sonic we are aware the VGC is not aware of this controversy. Thank you for stating it again and again.

Sorry for me repeating my self, I will now stop as I did beat the dead horse.

VideoGameCritic
Site Admin

Postby VideoGameCritic » June 19th, 2019, 8:55 pm

This thread is hilarious. Sonic is trying SO HARD to rile everyone up and convince them this is a major controversy - to no avail.

I tend to read through the tech sites and I was not aware of any Yooka-Laylee hijinx. If it happened it was short lived.

Judging from the response I think I'll keep the icon in my holster. Don't want to water down the category.

Good try Sonic.

Sonicx9

Postby Sonicx9 » June 19th, 2019, 9:32 pm

VideoGameCritic wrote:This thread is hilarious. Sonic is trying SO HARD to rile everyone up and convince them this is a major controversy - to no avail.

I tend to read through the tech sites and I was not aware of any Yooka-Laylee hijinx. If it happened it was short lived.

Judging from the response I think I'll keep the icon in my holster. Don't want to water down the category.

Good try Sonic.

I know it was funny, but the thing is the internet loves controversies and uproars, because back in 2017 when Yooka-Laylee JonTron hijinx happen. Many people where Periphery Hatedoming the game and review bombing it, and when the mix to negative reviews came in the haters got very happy as revenge on the game for censoring JonTron. It a weird world we live in as I saw it as one who once was hyped for Yooka-Laylee only to lose interest once the controversies/mixed reviews come in, and the fact you gave it high grade is shocking as many people hate the games guts for the JonTron hijinx and mixed reviews alike.

Return to “Video Games General”