2019/6/18: Nintendo Switch: Sonic Team Racing

Let me know what you think about my reviews.
Sonicx9

Re: 2019/6/18: Nintendo Switch: Sonic Team Racing

Postby Sonicx9 » June 19th, 2019, 9:27 pm

VideoGameCritic wrote:Sega has basically sucked since they left the hardware business. Remember all those fun Dreamcast games? After that nothing.

Maybe Sega thought it was going to be easy just making software, pumping out remixed versions of games like Sonic Adventure and Crazy Taxi. They got lazy. What new Sega properties have come out over the last 15 years?

When a company falls this far, I can only imagine it's because the people who took over really weren't gamers and really didn't really understand the product. They were probably some boring executives who just care about the bottom line.

The Atari analogy is correct. Sega really is Sega in name only.

and

Retro STrife wrote:
As a developer, Yakuza is the only popular new IP that Sega has started after the Dreamcast. As their one success, they are now milking that franchise to death. They’ve had a few successes as a publisher, but not personally creating any great new series.

They were bought out sometime around 2004, so that might be part of the problem too.

It the fault of merging with the pachinko company Sammy who did game publishing and developing like once distributing the popular Guilty Gear series from Arc System Works and other games although the Sammy ip games now go under Sega name for obvious reason. They did buy Atlus, but their quite separate from main Sega.

Atariboy

Postby Atariboy » June 19th, 2019, 10:53 pm

I thought the early post-Dreamcast years were great. Lots of great stuff like Outrun 2, Afterburner Climax, Sega Rally Revo, Super Monkey Ball 1 & 2, Condemned, etc.

I have a lot more favorite Sega games from the first 6-7 years after the Dreamcast than I do 1st party Dreamcast favorites.

Sonicx9

Postby Sonicx9 » June 20th, 2019, 12:33 am

Atariboy wrote:I thought the early post-Dreamcast years were great. Lots of great stuff like Outrun 2, Afterburner Climax, Sega Rally Revo, Super Monkey Ball 1 & 2, Condemned, etc.

I have a lot more favorite Sega games from the first 6-7 years after the Dreamcast than I do 1st party Dreamcast favorites.

Most of those games are pre-Sammy merger Sega, post Sammy merger Sega was much worse.

VideoGameCritic
Site Admin

Postby VideoGameCritic » June 20th, 2019, 6:25 pm

Atariboy - good point. They did seem to be fairly productive until around 2010. After that they seem to be residing in the where-are-they-now file.

Sonicx9

Postby Sonicx9 » June 20th, 2019, 7:23 pm

VideoGameCritic wrote:Atariboy - good point. They did seem to be fairly productive until around 2010. After that they seem to be residing in the where-are-they-now file.

It a partial fault on the mobile market as they want to move away from dedicated consoles and handhelds to mobile gaming with microtransactions and loot boxes yuck!: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YeupQ8AEQhU

Sonicx9

Postby Sonicx9 » June 20th, 2019, 8:17 pm

Good news critic, a better 4 player kart racing experience launches on Switch tomorrow and runs stable unlike Sonic Team Racing: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nxhTtBNoxTw This is Crash Team Racing Nitro-Fueled a remake of Crash Team Racing with content from Crash Nitro Kart and Tag Team Racing ported in as well making it the definitive version of the classic. But note that unlike Sonic Team Racing which was 60FPS on PC/PS4 and Pro/Xbox One and X, Crash Team Racing Nitro-Fueled is already 30FPS cap on the PS4 and Pro/Xbox One and X so it having a easier time running smooth on Switch.

travistouchdown

Postby travistouchdown » June 21st, 2019, 12:39 pm

Sonic and All Starts Racing Transformed (Wii U, 2012) was and is the best kart reacer i've ever played. Slightly edging out MK8 for me. I suspected they had nowhere to go but down from there....this review confirms that suspicion.

Sega has so much good IP that they just sit on....How about another Outrun, Afterburner, Streets of Rage; Golden Axe, Etc?

ActRaiser

Postby ActRaiser » June 21st, 2019, 1:37 pm

travistouchdown wrote:Sonic and All Starts Racing Transformed (Wii U, 2012) was and is the best kart reacer i've ever played. Slightly edging out MK8 for me. I suspected they had nowhere to go but down from there....this review confirms that suspicion.

Sega has so much good IP that they just sit on....How about another Outrun, Afterburner, Streets of Rage; Golden Axe, Etc?

This

I certainly enjoyed All Stars way more than Mario Kart 8 on the Wii U. I think it's the pure variety of race tracks and characters that really did it for me. Well, that and the three different modes of racing. Oh, yeah, it also supported 5 players versus 4. ;)

I read that the reason Sumo Digital focused on the Sonic world only was to create a cohesive campaign versus trying to figure out how to tell a story across Sega's wide line up of games. Unfortunately, I'd much rather they go back to what worked so well in Sonic and All Stars Racing Transformed.

Sonicx9

Postby Sonicx9 » June 28th, 2019, 5:07 pm

For those disappointed with Sonic Team Racing on Switch will be happy to note that Crash Team Racing Nitro-Fueled on Switch is far better ported with a much better 30FPS stable cap unlike Sonic Team Racing choppy sub 30FPS 4 player mode.: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LCe4fy3O0pA

I swear some devs or terrible at Switch ports while others are great at it. I think devs are too lazy too properly convert X86 to ARM code properly is why this happens so often.

BlasteroidAli

Postby BlasteroidAli » May 23rd, 2022, 7:29 pm

BlasteroidAli wrote:I think back in the day when Sega was huge they wasted a lot of money. Sega World anyone? They wanted to become the number 1 games company for all ages. It came back and bit them on the botty. The Sega games worlds are no more. As are so many of the great game series. They did not move with the times and are left in the dust these days.

Golden axe remake on the 360. Terrible. Just awful and unplayable. I know the critic liked it but he is the only one.

Shinobi has not been seen this the Ps2.

Though every year there is a Sonic offering. This year was even worse that most years. I thought Sonic racing on the 360 was average.

I really do love Sega but they are pushing it.

Oh Phantasy Star online is coming the the Xbox 1 this fall and that is Sega so I guess there is life in the old dog yet.

How times change. I played Sonic all stars racing transformed on my Xbox 1 S through BC. It is wonderful. So much fun. What a difference 3 years makes so it seems.

Return to “Review Feedback”