Modern Full Price $60 Video Games with YouTube style ads that are unskippable!

Reserved for modern gaming discussions.
Sonicx9

Modern Full Price $60 Video Games with YouTube style ads that are unskippable!

Postby Sonicx9 » June 22nd, 2019, 10:02 pm

You think YouTube ads were bad, but it gets worse when full price $60 games shove ads in game that are unskippable. This is no joke it 100% real from this YouTube video!: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=myPpVA03yH0 And that game is NBA 2K19 which had added this junk recently on all released as a patch update, not only that but the ads has nothing to do with the game and is inappropriate with the game. Critic and others will hate this, heck one of my friends hates YouTube ads, but this is a new low that needs to speak up.

Buttermancan

Re: Modern Full Price $60 Video Games with YouTube style ads that are unskippable!

Postby Buttermancan » June 23rd, 2019, 6:10 am

Sonicx9 wrote:You think YouTube ads were bad, but it gets worse when full price $60 games shove ads in game that are unskippable. This is no joke it 100% real from this YouTube video!: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=myPpVA03yH0 And that game is NBA 2K19 which had added this junk recently on all released as a patch update, not only that but the ads has nothing to do with the game and is inappropriate with the game. Critic and others will hate this, heck one of my friends hates YouTube ads, but this is a new low that needs to speak up.

What on earth. I thought this may happen one day but I am shocked. Microtransactions, loot boxes and full games being sliced into chunks to sell to you at double the price. The greed of the big corporations will end up cannibalizing itself and they will blame it on the gamers and we'll have another videogame crash!!

matmico399

Re: Modern Full Price $60 Video Games with YouTube style ads that are unskippable!

Postby matmico399 » June 23rd, 2019, 7:33 am

In a game now? That is beyond reprehensible!

pacman000

Postby pacman000 » June 23rd, 2019, 10:45 am

The developer forgot that YouTube is free...& that you can pay for an ad-free version.

djc

Postby djc » June 23rd, 2019, 3:15 pm

If you are paying for the game it should NEVER contain supplemental advertising of any sort. This is a very slippery slope and I don't like it one bit.

While advertising has been a part of video games for literally decades (road signs in Pole Position, the easter egg Adidas Predator commercial in FIFA Sega CD, etc...) it should not be outside of the actual game content. Hell even NBA 2K19 referenced above contains a ton of in-game advertising from Gatorade, etc... Why have what are effectively commercials in the game as well?

Much like the mobile gaming market, I'd be okay with a free/reduced price game that contained ads but never a game you pay full retail price for.

Matchstick

Postby Matchstick » June 23rd, 2019, 10:12 pm

FYI, these ads are entirely skippable. It's a "feature" you can turn off in the main options menu. Not sure why they decided including ads in the game was a good idea (maybe to make it more lifelike, as actual NBA games are full of commercial breaks?) but you do have the option to turn them off.

I ran into this, myself, when I bought the game last week. Couldn't resist as it was only $3 on the Switch eShop. Very much worth the three bucks!

I know you like to stir the pot on this kind of thing, Sonicx9, but this is one case where you need to get your facts straight before you post. I spent all of 30 seconds searching the Internet about this very thing when I first played the game and immediately found I wasn't alone, the ads were optional, and that they were not a new feature added to the game, they were there from day one. Heck, I'll even cop your style a bit and post a link to an article about it:

http://www.nintendolife.com/news/2019/0 ... ertisments

Just chill, dude. Nice try at attempting to get everyone on these boards riled up *yet again* with another one of your pointless gaming "controversies." Awesome game for $3, with a stupid ad "feature" that can be immediately disabled entirely from the options menu. Try actually enjoying the game for what it is instead of immediately bashing it, especially if you haven't even played it yourself.

djc

Postby djc » June 24th, 2019, 1:04 am

Matchstick wrote:FYI, these ads are entirely skippable. It's a "feature" you can turn off in the main options menu. Not sure why they decided including ads in the game was a good idea (maybe to make it more lifelike, as actual NBA games are full of commercial breaks?) but you do have the option to turn them off.

Awesome game for $3, with a stupid ad "feature" that can be immediately disabled entirely from the options menu. Try actually enjoying the game for what it is instead of immediately bashing it, especially if you haven't even played it yourself.

Optional or not, they shouldn't be there at all. Who is their right mind is saying to themselves "Wow this game is so great and realistic, I just wish it had commercials in it." :)

Buttermancan

Postby Buttermancan » June 24th, 2019, 5:38 am

Matchstick wrote:FYI, these ads are entirely skippable. It's a "feature" you can turn off in the main options menu. Not sure why they decided including ads in the game was a good idea (maybe to make it more lifelike, as actual NBA games are full of commercial breaks?) but you do have the option to turn them off.

I ran into this, myself, when I bought the game last week. Couldn't resist as it was only $3 on the Switch eShop. Very much worth the three bucks!

I know you like to stir the pot on this kind of thing, Sonicx9, but this is one case where you need to get your facts straight before you post. I spent all of 30 seconds searching the Internet about this very thing when I first played the game and immediately found I wasn't alone, the ads were optional, and that they were not a new feature added to the game, they were there from day one. Heck, I'll even cop your style a bit and post a link to an article about it:

http://www.nintendolife.com/news/2019/0 ... ertisments

Just chill, dude. Nice try at attempting to get everyone on these boards riled up *yet again* with another one of your pointless gaming "controversies." Awesome game for $3, with a stupid ad "feature" that can be immediately disabled entirely from the options menu. Try actually enjoying the game for what it is instead of immediately bashing it, especially if you haven't even played it yourself.

I don't agree with everything Sonic posts on here. He often focuses on all the negative aspects of the industry but I think this is a topic worth discussing.
Is it obvious in the game that you can turn off ads or do you have to search through menus? Regardless of this I think it is a terrible practice and this is how these things begin? In this iteration the consumer has the choice to turn ads off. Next year's game may remove that option all together! Or like in free to play mobile games you can pay to skip ads!!!

Gleebergloben123

Postby Gleebergloben123 » June 24th, 2019, 7:11 am

As Matchstick stated, You CAN turn off the YouTube ads. So saying they’re unskippable is not true. If you wanna play the slippery-slope argument, fine. And if this really does get your blood boiling, fine. I can’t wait for the next drummed up controversy that I’M SURE the critic will agree with.

CharlieR

Postby CharlieR » June 24th, 2019, 8:40 am

I did buy the game for that price. When I start it up, I will see if there is a way to turn them off. Ads in a $60 game is ridiculous, but if you can turn them off, I guess it's not terrible.

The controversy in my opinion is, is this game even playable without an sd card? It needed something like 32 gb just to download it! good thing I found my 64 gb card.

Return to “Modern Gaming”