2019/6/22: Game Boy Color: Rayman, Star Wars Episode I: Obi Wan's Adventures

Let me know what you think about my reviews.
VideoGameCritic
Site Admin

2019/6/22: Game Boy Color: Rayman, Star Wars Episode I: Obi Wan's Adventures

Postby VideoGameCritic » June 22nd, 2019, 11:23 am

I can't believe it's been over 20 years since Star Wars Episode I!!
Let's hear your thoughts on these new GBC reviews.

MSR1701

Re: 2019/6/22: Game Boy Color: Rayman, Star Wars Episode I: Obi Wan's Adventures

Postby MSR1701 » June 22nd, 2019, 1:01 pm

VideoGameCritic wrote:I can't believe it's been over 20 years since Star Wars Episode I!!
Let's hear your thoughts on these new GBC reviews.

Oh nuts, it HAS been 20 years since Star Wars went down the Prequel Path...

On Obi Wan's Adventures, I liked the aesthetics graphically, but about everything else was just average action fare. The music left no real impression (which could be a good thing, as I don't recall wanting to mute the game constantly). The game actually makes me think of a very watered down version of the GBA Jedi Power Battles, which could be good or bad. Not the worst portable Star Wars game (Hello Flight of the Falcon and Episode II GBA...), but far from good.

Rayman GBC is easily the weakest released version of the original Rayman in every respects, but still a decent platformer in its own right. As far as portable versions go, the GBA version and DSiWare versions are easily far superior, and the only version that would technically rate worse in my eyes would be the SNES Prototype, but that is on technicality, as the SNES version is very incomplete and unpolished. Again, still a decent platformer for the system, and far better than some of the licensed trash on the GBC and even on the GBA.

sixam

Re: 2019/6/22: Game Boy Color: Rayman, Star Wars Episode I: Obi Wan's Adventures

Postby sixam » June 22nd, 2019, 7:14 pm

Rayman does not throw baseballs. He throws on of his disembodied fists.

MSR1701

Postby MSR1701 » June 22nd, 2019, 7:20 pm

sixam wrote:Rayman does not throw baseballs. He throws on of his disembodied fists.

Admittedly, it took me a while to notice WHAT Rayman was throwing, as I saw a windup motion and didn't read the manual...

Playing Rayman 2 did help later...

pacman000

Postby pacman000 » June 26th, 2019, 1:57 pm

Hint for distinguishing upper & lower case letters in passwords: underline the uppercase letters.

VideoGameCritic
Site Admin

Postby VideoGameCritic » June 28th, 2019, 5:20 pm

sixam wrote:Rayman does not throw baseballs. He throws on of his disembodied fists.

It's funny - sometimes I think it's better to write based on what you THINK you're seeing, because it's more entertaining and representative of what other people will experience. How many people read the manual of a Game Boy Color title?

MSR1701

Postby MSR1701 » July 16th, 2019, 3:29 pm

VideoGameCritic wrote:

It's funny - sometimes I think it's better to write based on what you THINK you're seeing, because it's more entertaining and representative of what other people will experience. How many people read the manual of a Game Boy Color title?

I agree, especially when you are having to convey what the item is you are talking about. Iridion 3D is a great example for me, because what the heck is half of the things flying at you in that game...

On game manuals, I used to real all the manuals for any game I bought up through the DS era, when they stopped including manuals and just had a legal disclaimer. While some of my faves were SNES and Game Boy classic manuals (Metroid II, all the DKC/DKL games, Mega Man X, Mega Man V (Game Boy)), others were worth a look for tips and hints (Galaga/Galaxian Game Boy, SimCity SNES).

Hands down, my favorite manual was Starflight for the Genesis, as it was a mini-novella blended with how to play the game. Also was as thick as a small trade paperback and filled with world-building fun.

Return to “Review Feedback”